Your voice

• 539 posts
    January 30, 2003 3:19 AM GMT
    My voice is rather difficult - it is just plain weird.  It will take some work to feminize it.  I will probably see a professional speech therapist.  Many people who have gone that route have had excellent results which were well worth the cost.

Heather H.
  • January 29, 2003 9:51 AM GMT
    Stevie

It is nor altering your voice. You have a much wider scope than you ever think. The point is to use it.
    I try to use my feminine voice (or I should say my more feminine voice) now in all situations. Sometimes I just fail, but I don´t fall back to my mail voice, but something that is more a sigh or a whisper. And that lets you pass as well.
    I form my voice by thinking something sunny and clear and then add some "sigh" into it. Otherwise it happens very often that when males raise the pitch, they somehow strangle their voice, which becomes hard and metallic. To avoid that, don´t try with force, but relax

Laura
  • August 22, 2002 8:11 AM BST
    Hi girls

How many of you have seriously trained your voice to sound more feminine? I use my empty hours for rehearsing. So far I haven´t found the right key, but I´ve been close to that.
    I am a quite good singer and good imitator, too. I guess, that helps.

hugs

Laura
  • January 20, 2003 12:06 AM GMT
    www.tsvoice.com has free online tutoring and audio samples on site.
  • September 2, 2002 4:01 PM BST
    Hi girls

A few days ago when walking the dog I found my feminine voice. After a long rehearsal. I actually never had a very deep masculine voice. Girl was I happy. Now I can at leat order a cider with my feminine voice. And nobody will notice anything

hugs

Laura
  • January 30, 2003 2:30 AM GMT
    With my voice, I could do voices for evil cartoon characters. http://mywebpages.comcast.net/fashionlab/Images/Smileys/Laugh01.gif

Some days, I'm fine, but on other days, my voice just gives up. I'm talking about my regular masculine voice, here. I can't imagine trying to sound feminine in public.

"Luke, I am your father."  http://mywebpages.comcast.net/fashionlab/Images/Smileys/StarWars1.gif
  • August 22, 2002 11:28 PM BST

I once did a radio interview, about TVism, for a national talk station. Only the producer and the DJ knew that I'd be coming on, the newsreader flirted with me while I was waiting to go into the studio and I let him have the whole girly voice.
    The best part was going on air, having the whole station standing with there mouths open as I changed my voice to male while on the radio for the first few minutes. Then swopping back to a more feminine sound. What a hoot!
    Got mistaken for a hooker while waiting for my girlfriend to pick me up outside.........Don't worry my virtue remained intact.

Between male and female the sounds come from diferent places, it's like the male sounds come from the top of my chest and the female from my diaphragm. Not to clear on this I know, but I've been doing it for so long I can't really explain.
    Practise, at best you'll sound like a husky girl. Never do falsetto, that's just so camp!
  • August 30, 2002 2:20 AM BST
    Yes! You can use something simple like "Sound Recorder" on Microsoft Windows to record your voice samples as wave files, MP3s, or whatever and monitor your progress. It only records for one minute, but that's all you need (well, that and a microphone). Sound Forge is a good program, too.
    • 530 posts
    August 22, 2002 10:09 PM BST
    I have also spent hours trying to sound as feminine as possible,though with what I consider a remarkable lack of success.However,unles you have a really low voice,the pitch is not as critical as the use of language,and variation of tone and pitch.When combined with a full range of body language,most people can 'pass' much better than they realise.As you will probably be aware,many women have relative low voices,not far above the average man,and with age both genders become closer physically,so the differences become less pronounceed.I still get called sir on the phone,though,so I have not got it quite right yet!
    Sue.XX
  • August 28, 2002 10:51 PM BST

One of ther best ways to check if you're getting it right is to record your voice on tape(or MD) and play it back to hear how others hear you.
  • January 20, 2003 1:49 AM GMT
    Actually, I seem to be getting worse the more I try. http://mywebpages.comcast.net/fashionlab/Images/Smileys/Laugh01.gif From what I've read, the surgery to alter one's voice is dangerous, but it would be the only way I could ever really pass, vocally. When I'm with a girlfriend, she always does the talking anyway. Problem is, I'm unattached right now.
    • 530 posts
    August 27, 2002 9:16 PM BST
    Maybe you are trying too hard? With time,your confidence will grow,and you will be able to relax into your female persona.From there,things should becme easier and more natural to you.Take things slowly and I'm sure it will all come right.
    Sue.X
  • August 27, 2002 3:21 PM BST
    :-/i Know how hard it is to try to sound feminen I have the same problem. some times I can sound lioke a girl, but some times I slip out to a higher mail pitch. is this normal?
    let me know.
  • August 25, 2002 10:39 AM BST
    I had respiratory problems as an infant, and I've always had a weak voice. Every time I've tried to practice, my voice gives out after a couple of minutes. I can do the voice for a little while, in hushed tones, but at normal volume, it's a major task.