How important is it to pass?

• 195 posts
    August 24, 2002 12:03 AM BST
    Sometimes I really don't want to pass - I want people to realise that I am a trannie - and add -

"Doesn't she Look good though"

I had a great time in Dublin last year at the Pride - I know I looked good because I stopped traffic at one point - had them hooting as they passed - Girls were stopping me in the street to have their picture taken with me and I got so many hoots and whistles as I walked by it was getting embarrasing - but they were impressed  and I coped - Some one summed it up when they said to me "How can a guy look that good in a dress" - when I told them my age - they responded with F**k of you b*tch.  OOh - isn't it nice when you know you look good.

I don't need to pass as a woman - I'm transgender and I'm Proud
  • August 22, 2002 4:32 PM BST
    Well well gals:)

If we don´t pass, so what the heck? We are who we are and thatsit. Right?
    I´m getting furious.....

yet, hugs

laura
  • October 9, 2002 4:55 AM BST
    HI TO ALL YOU T-GALS,I GO OUT EVERYDAY.IM GONE USUALLY FROM 8 TO 5.I LIVE IN THE BUCKLE OF THE BIBLE BELT/FARM COUNTRY.THE PEOPLE  HERE  ARE'NT THAT SOPHISTICATED TO INTERPRET A MAN IN WOMEN'S CLOTHES. LONG HAIR + DRESS +MAKE-UP =WOMAN. THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO SEEM TO READ ME ON A REGULAR BASIS ARE BLACK WOMEN,BOY, I SURE DON'T KNOW WHY   I'D LIKE TO KNOW WHAT'S THIER SECRET.  ??? I WAS IN A CRAFT STORE LAST WEEK,A GIRL WHO GROOMS MY DOG WAS IN THE SAME AISLE AS I WAS ,STOOD NEXT TO ME AND I ASKED HER FOR A PRODUCT SHE WAS STANDING IN FRONT OF FROM THE SHELF ,SHE HANDED IT TO ME ,I SAID THANKS  & WE TALKED ABOUT CRAFTING FOR A MINUTE AND WENT OUR SEPARATE WAYS.I WAITED FOR HER IN THE PARKING LOT FOR ANOTHER "CHANCE"MEETING .I FINALLY CONFESSED TO WHO I WAS ,SHE WAS ASTONISHED & DIDN'T BELIEVE ME .I WAS ALMOST TEMPTED TO TAKE OFF MY WIG !!!! :o ALL SHE COULD SAY WAS "WHY WOULD A MAN WEAR A DRESS???" SO HERE I CAN HIDE IN PLAIN SIGHT  ;D   WADDUH YA NO ???    LOVE----PHYLISS  
    • 195 posts
    August 25, 2002 4:25 PM BST
    I suspect that 80% or more of the people who see me in public see a women or don't see anyone at all - most people just don't see - So only 10-20% of people read me or can't quite make their mind up even if I decide to be OTT, and I suspect that is true for most of us who can pass - My height and weight are the main things that give me away.

The few who read me used to be a concern - now they are not - and because I don't give a damn what they think even less people read me anyway -  or I notice it less - whatever... I feel better and as long as I know I have done a good job.  I don't want to dissappear into the croud - When a woman really dresses up - she dresses to BE noticed. If you draw attenion to youreslf the question is are they reading or just looking because you look good - a bit of both in my experience.

The reality is that no-one would be able to convert reading me into recognising the old male me anyway - I show people pictures of how I used to look two years ago and they cannot believe it.
  • August 25, 2002 10:46 AM BST
    In principle, I agree with Rikki, but in practice, I have to pass as a female  or I'll get into more trouble than I care for. As Irene suggested, whether you pass depends largely on who's looking, but as long as most people think I'm female, I'm fairly comfortable in public.

I really would enjoy being a feminine male in public, but, outside of Halloween and similar occasions, I can't risk it.
  • October 23, 2002 1:50 AM BST
    I probably speak for most trannies when I say that we want to pass as females only so that we can be women in public. If others didn't mind seeing males in makeup and dresses, then we wouldn't need to pretend to be females. We'd all love to be accepted as feminine males without any hassle, but we can't directly control that.

Publicly, the only thing we can try to control is presenting ourselves as females well enough to fool casual observers (intense scrutiny will reveal most of us). Females are allowed (by society) to be women, but males are supposed to be men. Male women often get in trouble when venturing out in public, therefore, the best way to be ourselves in public while avoiding trouble is to pass as females.

It's frustrating, because I have to pass as a man (socially) at work, then, when I do get to be myself socially, I have to pass as a female (physically) if I go out in public as a woman. Many of us are constantly living to please others and to protect ourselves from being ostracized (if not worse). No wonder so many trannies need professional help! I want to live my life as a tranny - where those around me know I'm male and feminine, and they don't hassle me about it. Does anyone know where Trannyville is on the map?
  • August 22, 2002 11:18 PM BST

If you don't pass and can't relax enjoy and smile a lot!
    Then there really is no need to worry because your fear of discovery is no more.......
    Go to tranny venues, party with your girlfriends and have a ball.
    Why beat yourself up?
    Very few of us can pass all the time, some people will read you straight off some never will.
    • 530 posts
    October 21, 2002 10:25 PM BST
    I always understood passing to mean being taken for female-ie not being 'read'.Or at least leaving people in doubt as to your actual gender.When asked and I reply woman,this is usually accepted,because they weren't quite sure,so I am then,in their eyes,a rather butch female.And I talk as much as real one!
    Sue.X
    • 530 posts
    October 17, 2002 9:47 PM BST
    Precisely.
    Sue.X
  • October 24, 2002 2:09 AM BST
    Donna, unfortunately, my experiences dictate that I must fool others into thinking I'm female if I want to be myself (a woman) in public. Otherwise, I have to behave and dress as a man when I go outside. I can't believe you don't have more trouble than you do. Maybe it's got something to do with the Southeastern USA.