Take the 2005 Political Typology Survey

• May 12, 2005 1:20 PM BST
    Interseting Survey to see where you fit in!
    The 2005 Political Typology is the fourth of its kind, following on previous studies in 1987, 1994 and 1999. While the mood of the American electorate has changed markedly over this period, underlying patterns persist. Many characteristics of the groups identified by the current survey, in particular the ideological positions of Enterprisers, Liberals, and Disadvantaged Democrats, have remained virtually unchanged over the 18 years of typology studies. This consistency reflects the continuing importance of a number of key beliefs and values among some segments of the electorate.

http://typology.people-pr[...]pology/

BTW I scored in the Enterprisers group
  • May 12, 2005 3:28 PM BST
    every time I take that test, I end up right in the middle of the bottom left.
  • May 12, 2005 3:50 PM BST
    Thanks Ziggy
    Interesting Survey I came out exactly on the horizonal line
    in the middle of the right side.
    Economic Left/Right: 4.50
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.46

"anybody wanting to raise their taxes is a commie." you mean they are not?

• May 12, 2005 4:10 PM BST
    Ziggy, I think the tests show we seem to be at opposite ends of the spectrum but thats what makes it interesting...no fun debating politics with someone that agrees with you.
    • 588 posts
    May 12, 2005 4:35 PM BST
    Economic Left/Right: -9.75
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.97

Gandhi ? No problem. I can wear a loincloth.

Linda, reasonably pleased with being labeled
    Anarchocommunist.
  • May 12, 2005 9:50 PM BST
    Oooh good. I'm glad I'm not the only leftist libertarian here . It seems I have Shan to keep me company in my part of the square, and I don't have to travel too far to find Ziggy either. lol

I guess I should take the test again sometime soon to share the numbers.
    • 1195 posts
    May 15, 2005 8:57 PM BST
    Rhia - "come the revolution" guess we'll both be with the rebels.
    I almost made it the the bottom left corner.
    jillian
    xxx
    • 86 posts
    May 17, 2005 8:36 PM BST
    Wow! I'm an extremist! - Liberal that is, whose hero, and greatest living Briton, is Michael Foot. An interesting exercise.
    • 539 posts
    June 5, 2005 1:22 AM BST
    I have taken the Political Compass test a few times, and I come out Economic Left approx. -7; Social Libertarian approx. -7. On the other test, I come out "Liberal". I'm a confirmed lefty.

Some of my views have changed a bit in recent years. I have always been a social libertarian, but my views in the economic area have shifted considerably to the left. People on the right say that they see big government as a threat to freedom. In a way, I have to agree. But I would extend that philosophy to big institutions in general. How can big government be such a threat to freedom, and big corporations can be totally benign? Big corporations are a huge threat to individual freedom - too much power concentrated in the hands of too few people always is. The only reasonable way to counter the threat posed by big corporations is to resort to the power of government.

So I favor strong regulation of corporations, but very little regulation of individuals.

Heather Harrison
  • June 5, 2005 3:38 AM BST
    Interesting test (#2)........

I was surprised by my results....

Economic L/R -3.13
    Social Lib/Auth -2.67

Compared to a number of my friends, I though I was more toward economic/authoritarian. However, I do live in the San Francisco bay area, which would shift the local relative scale quite a bit to the left.

One observation..... I would have liked to compare my results from before I was aware "Michelle" existed to todays results.

Michelle xoxoxo
  • May 12, 2005 2:17 PM BST
    Interesting test Ziggy,

I came out just to the left and just above the authoritarian line, does that make me a "bit" commie. Still glad to see I was closer to Ghandi than Thatcher, that's a relief!!

Cerys x
    • 2627 posts
    May 12, 2005 5:07 PM BST
    Took both test.
    Test 1-Social Conservative
    Test 2-Econmic L/R -2.38 Social L/A -1.69
    I seem to be about middle ground on both test.
  • May 12, 2005 5:17 PM BST
    I'm glad someone mentioned Ghandi .. It gives me the chance to repeat possibly the worst pun in the English language ..

"Ghandi was a super calloused fragile mystic hexed by halitosis".

There, feel better now ..

Cerys xx
    • 2627 posts
    May 12, 2005 5:34 PM BST
    Cerys how long have you been saving that one up.
    First time I ever heard it.
  • May 18, 2005 1:36 PM BST
    Zig, Only if he's still getting backhanders from Moscow ...!!

.. Hey, I didn't start the rumour ..

Cerys xx
    • 2573 posts
    June 5, 2005 2:01 PM BST
    the PEW test says I am "disaffected". I'll buy that....well I would if I could afford it and the government would regulate business to keep price gouging down, rotf. Except, I do vote in every election and choose carefully what I vote and I do follow international events, often in detail.

The Political Compass test placed me [Economic Left/Right: -5.63
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.64] center lower left as a liberal-libertarian.....which is exactly what I am as a member of the Constitutionalist Party, and exactly how I describe myself politically. Ziggy, I'm impressed by the test, despite issues with a few questions' format. Somewhat LESS authoritarian than Ghandi? I have changed from my days as a drill sergeant who promised to march his unit over war protesters. Geez, its scary how wrong we can be when we are certain that we are right. See, this is the danger of forcing a transgendered person to be "male"...you make bad choices following a stereotypical behavior pattern. This is bad for individuals AND for society in general. Hmmmm....I share my spot with THE DALAI LAMA????? Ok, someone hand me a Valium, please, I can deal with being TG but that is just too wierd for words. Wait, he is wearing a full-length skirt, isn't he? Hey! Who let those fascists Ghandi and Nelson Mandela in here?