how come?

Tags : None
    How come no one posts to this thread? It's the USA thread - watsa matta? It's not that we don't have something to say - are we afraid to voice an opinion. There's plenty to talk about or post. The country is going broke, the states are broke and the cities are trying to figure out how to be "blood out of stone." The school districts are totally confused - there used to be what they called "local control" but that doesn't really exist - the Feds and the state education departs are dumping on the districts. Remember the "filter down" theory? Well it didn't work and the powers that be are finding out that the bottom of the barrell is bare.
    I'm on a roll...
    any responses?
    Mary Grace - love you allxxxxx
    <p>If it isn't fun - don't do it.</p>
      June 27, 2005 2:06 AM BST
    gotta learn to edit before I post
    correction: the cities are trying to figure how to "get" "blood out of stone."

sorry....
      June 27, 2005 2:09 AM BST
  • Gloria,

In many ways, nationality, race, culture, etc. mean far less to me now than they ever did. Little of what I have to say involves only the US, and I think of myself as part of a world community of TG and GLBT persons, rather than as an American. I never did quite understand why we needed our own TW, other than as a way to promote US advertisers to support TW financially. Even an issue that is totally American, is of interest to those girls in other countries, and vice versa. A more liberal Europe can influence US culture and law. I also have many UK sisters, and those in other continents who I do not wish to seperate myself from.

The other factor is that I just don't "see" the US Forum so I don't think of it. What do you see as being in the US Forum that I won't find elsewhere? Perhaps I am missing what I have never "seen".
    "A live lived in fear is a life half-lived." - Native American proverb. "Inside every man is a woman who was drowned in testosterone before birth". - Wendy Jeanette Larsen "It is better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you're not." - Andre Gide (French writer)
      June 27, 2005 3:21 AM BST
  • 2 2627
    Just where is USA forums listed. It's not listed under Community Features. It's not listed in forums.
    Out of sight out of mind.
    <p>Karen Brad</p>
      June 27, 2005 4:39 AM BST
  • 2 2627
    USA forum is not in general list. You first have to go to USA home page then to forum. Why not have it listed with the rest.
    Honest I forgot it was evan here. This would be a great place to list marches, pride days. I find out most of what very little I hear from a news letter out of NY.(Breanna Austin){spelled wrong I'm sure}. Thats mostly after the fact saying what a great march it was.
    <p>Karen Brad</p>
      June 27, 2005 1:29 PM BST
  • Gloria, thanks for the compliment (at least I took it that way). Yes I do have a lot to say, including about this "country," and it's "leader." My daughter the other day likened George W. Liar to Hitler. I think she's right.......

I have to agree with Wendy - there's really nothing different here than I see in other threads. I never really thought I had to post anything here specifically because I happen to live in the States.

One thought did occur to me, although too late for me to have done anything about it. Yesterday was the Gay Pride Parade in Chicago, and elsewhere. I thought about going and representing TW. I couldn't have yesterday because of family obligations. If things are better next year and I can get away with it, I will.

Okay, what are some USA specific issues we really need to discuss? George W. Liar has the money to carry out genocide yet we don't have enough for schools. The right wing is trying to dominate us all.

That's all what is crossing my mind now. More later.
    You can get anything you want at Alice's restaurant.
      June 27, 2005 1:56 PM BST
  • There are times when a post could fit into several areas so maybe the US topics have ended up in other places but it is nice to know there is somewhere we can discuss US issues, even if we aren't all in the US.

Tiina, I sincerely promise not to head us off on a tangent like last time, unless it is still related to the US.

Alex
    xxxx
    Life's Too Short Not To..... Living on Dreams and Custard Creams...... You're Only Young Once...But You Can Stay Immature Indefinitely.....
      June 27, 2005 2:22 PM BST
  • Gloria,

I meant exactly what I said. There was no hidden, snide, smart-ass or any other negatve meaning to it. I was genuinely interested in your opinion, which I respect, on the US FORUM (and any other) issue. That is WHY I asked. Had I realized that it would create animosity, I would not have done so. However, I could not think of any better way to get a good, useful answer to my question. I have indicated to you more than once, in the past, my respect for the work you do. I don't understand why you feel that has changed. My respect for someone is not based on them agreeing with me. You are not likely to find the understanding you seem to be seeking if your response to an honest question is to attack the person asking for your opinion.

I asked the same question when the US FORUM was created. I asked it because I genuinely did not perceive a need for one. The response I got at that time was related to advertising.

I have no objection to a US FORUM. I feel that many things that I post are more appropriate for other forum areas, such as politics. That doesn't mean I'm right. I tend to respond to posts without any attention to which forum they are in. You did ask why I didn't post on the US FORUM more. I assumed you wanted an accurate and honest response. If I misunderstood, I apologize.

I'm actively involved in communicating directly with my political representatives on GLBT/personal rights and other issues. Most recently same-sex marriage and flag-burning/freedom of speech. I follow security and privacy issues specifically. I only missed L.A. Pride 2005 because of multiple personal disasters that kept me from being able to attend. There is no sand in my ears. I have no idea why you feel that where I live is particularly easy for TG issues, other than it being a large city with more places to go and a large population to hide in. I spent over 50 years unable to even acces my own TG-self, worked damned hard to find it, and I am STILL not "out" anywhere but on the internet. It's not a game to me either. I'm still trying to find myself inside my own head. Perhaps you should read my recent blog before you judge where I am coming from.

I will respect your obvious wishes and not ask you your opinion again. I don't care much for being judged so harshly for being open-minded. I never expected this kind of response from you. Again, I apologize for upsetting you.

"A live lived in fear is a life half-lived." - Native American proverb. "Inside every man is a woman who was drowned in testosterone before birth". - Wendy Jeanette Larsen "It is better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you're not." - Andre Gide (French writer)
      June 27, 2005 2:42 PM BST
  • HI All,
    Yesterday, the Supreme Court upheld a ruling which makes the suppliers of technology (such as file sharing) LIABLE for the actions of their customers/users. It was targeted against the movie and music file sharing networks, but can apply to a number of other areas.

Will the cell phone companies be held liable for crimes committed while using a cell phone? What about the auto industry? In fairness, the court said that protections are in place for products that have "substantial legitimate usage", although that term still needs definition.

Finally, what will this do to innovation?

Your Thoughts?

Hugz,
    Michelle Lynn

June 28, 2005 5:56 PM BST
  • Gloria,
    If I was mad, I would have said something. I very much appreciate being named like that!

I spoke to Tressa today. I mentioned how I blog only when I feel I have something to say. She quickly responded with "B-S, Mere! You ALWAYS have something to say!"

Ah, yes, my friends. How well you know me!
      June 28, 2005 8:31 PM BST
  • It's funny you should say that! Tressa mentioned the, shall we say, "relief" activities of your cats!
      June 29, 2005 12:15 AM BST
  • Michelle,

I'm sure innovation will still continue but perhaps we will see more of those wonderful American disclaimers the world has come to love, like on packets of peanuts - warning may contain nuts, or instructions on how to use a toothpick - insert into mouth, remove trapped food, dispose, or of course on MacD's coffee cups - warning contents maybe hot.

I personally think this latest move against the file sharers is a sign of panic by the movie and record companies. Yes we all know file sharing is illegal if it infringes copyright but ever since the magnetic tape people have been copying music, just the technology has changed. If the industry made CD's and DVD's and software cheaper less people would copy them.

Blaming the suppliers of the file sharing technology is like blaming Phillips for inventing the video cassette record for pirate videos or Sony for inventing the Walkman - blimey the number of illegal tapes I made for that, lock me up and throw away the key!!

I would hope the powers that be in America will soon come to their senses over this, as you could get Smith and Wesson up in court being held responsible for someone shooting someone else with one of their products - but don't lets start on the gun issue please.

America, home of the brave and land of the "sometimes daft"

Alex
    xxxx
    Life's Too Short Not To..... Living on Dreams and Custard Creams...... You're Only Young Once...But You Can Stay Immature Indefinitely.....
      June 29, 2005 10:34 AM BST
  • Alex,
    America is "sometimes daft?" I think you're being a little too kind! I would use stronger words than that!
    Mere
      June 29, 2005 1:56 PM BST
  • Just a note to Alex. Every gun manufacturer in the United States currently has pending lawsuits relating to deaths involving their products. There are also workplace suits going on involving companies that allowed smoking by nonsmoking employees that are claiming damages. Alcohol manufacturers have also been sued by the families of those killed by drunk drivers. There in fact is ample case law allowing the tech companies that create file sharing programs to be sued by anyone who feels this technology has harmed them in any way. BTW, the warning on the coffee cups from McDonalds is the result of a case of them being sued. An elderly woman purchased a cup at the drive-thru, placed it between her legs and caused some spillage during braking, she sued and won primarily on a claim of a diminished sex life!
      June 29, 2005 6:28 PM BST
  • Once again proving that "Sex, Caffine and driving don't mix"! (hehe).
      June 29, 2005 6:58 PM BST
    It's been a while,,,
    ..he just can't help "Herself" ..
      July 22, 2005 4:07 AM BST
  • I do not mean to cloud things, but just a thought...

U.S., U.K., Fr., Ger., Fin., It., Sp.,. . .

In other words, these are abbreviations, summations, a "wrap up" of who the type of person we may be sending an e-mail to...

A simplistic way for us to "understand" the characteristics of a person we've never met...

The borders that person lives withnin do not matter. That simple fact that the person reading your post has, maybe, had the same experience(s) as you and could offer some helpful advice, or just, perhaps, some support, does matter.

I generally post in the "elite" forum to avoid being "found out" by anyone in the area with an interest in T.V.'s.

The nationality posting forum's meaning is kinda lost on me. Proud to be an American, folks, but, when the internet is the primary means of communication for a community, does it really matter?

Sincerely Yours,

Kari

July 22, 2005 6:43 AM BST
    Beth - I'll agree with you - the UK sounds great - but I'll bet there are parts where the macho men would kick the snot out of you. Poland seems to be caught in the Holy Roman Empire of the 15th century - I could be mistaken but that's what appears in the papers here. I'm certain we all get a distorted view of each others countries.
    When I was in grad school - we played a game one evening in which we formed groups, each group represented a nation. We were given the task of forming alliances which caused heated arguments between some groups. There was one group however which won the prize - they decided to open their borders to everyone and asked the other groups to do the same. What a wonderful idea - seems the EU has done the same - marvelous. Here in the USA, Canadian can enter ok but Mexicans can't - go figure....
      October 13, 2005 7:25 PM BST
  • Gloria (and the rest of the US crew)--

Okay, I'm busted. (Literally. I love being on hormones. )

I haven't posted much here in the US forum...because I haven't posted much at all of late.

I'll try to be a bit better about that...all the way around.

Luv 'n hugs,

Mina Sakura
    "Almost-Angel, T-Girl Genius, and Ultra Flirt"
    Living as the woman I am!
      November 10, 2005 7:52 PM GMT