Tags : None
  • Hi Girls.
    How many of you have come across agism in the work place. Having been on the verge of cracking up earlier in the year I felt that I had to resign from my civil service post or end up committing suicide (yes happy go lucky June was that close to jumping off a slam door train). My age was agianst me moving on especially after my doctor had said that i should be moved to a work place closer to home. Travel each day was about two hours in each direction so the time away from home was about 12 hours each day.
    Now the agist attitude has reared its head when I apply for jobs more local to home. At 55 we aren't going to get long out of you are we? These qualifications are from the 60s, they are a bit out of date. You have no degree sir - well you didn't need a degree to get a job when I left school. We are a go ahead company only need people who can prove that their brain is worksing - but I got my HNC in Electronic Engineering when I'd turned 40 and in recent years earned two diplomas in health and safety and one in environmental management so my brain must work, but we want someone with a masters these days.
    Has anyone else come across this form of agism?
    May have to apply to become a chambermaid as June rather than a Health and Safety Practitioner as Alan, lol.

June
    XXX
    Life is proceeding at a lovely pace
      July 18, 2005 8:57 AM BST