Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » Polly Ticks » God made me do it?

God made me do it?

Tags : None
  • Hi girls me again-thought I'd share something with you that I read in a paper yesterday.You may have read or heard recently a comment made by George W.Bush whereby he stated that God told him to go to war.The person in the paper said,"I am aware that,if a person went to their GP and stated that they were having conversations with God,having ideas about bombing innocent civillians and posing an acute risk or harm to others,they would be held in a secure unit under the Mental Health Act.Isn't it refreshing that the person in charge of the worlds largest nuclear arsenal fits those criteria?" I think the person said it all.Take care,xxx Alli.
      October 11, 2005 7:39 AM BST
  • The Austrian in question didnt paint houses, he did crappy little water colours trying to get into art school, but they rejected him because he wasnt any good,

Well i think he was much better at water colours than he was at directing a major nation.

Moral to the story becareful who you reject.... and do it gently, if they had of been a wee bit nicer he may have tried harder and gotten in instead of changing career paths.
    To love what one has is to be resigned to never get what one wants. Natalie Clifford Barney.
      October 11, 2005 8:54 AM BST
  • I had heard that Fidel Castro tried out once for the NY Yankees. Imagine how things would be different if he made the team! It does put a whole new take on it, when he says "Damn Yankees" though.
      October 11, 2005 3:06 PM BST
  • I think Bush’s claim that God told him to do it is one of the worst things he could possibly say. On the one hand he says that the war is not against Islam, on the other he claims that God is on his side. It’s a mixed message, to say the least.
    Hitler and Churchill both professed that God was on their side, when the two sides believe in different Gods perhaps the situation has the potential to become all the more serious.
    Leave God out of it George W; using religion to justify death and destruction is disgraceful, and surely against the supposed message of such beliefs. Don’t the suicide bombers claim that Allah told them to do it? Doesn’t this make you as bad as them?
    Well, let’s face it, he’s pretty dumb isn’t he?
      October 11, 2005 3:19 PM BST
  • 2 2627
    What makes it worse is that both sides worship the same God. But in different ways. Bush says thier wrong for calling it a holy war. I saw a show lastnight where a guy said "don't let your mouth write a check your ass can't cash" I think he did. That statement could start a bigger war than we have now.
    <p>Karen Brad</p>
      October 11, 2005 4:23 PM BST
    Had a thought the other day (no it wasn't a blond moment) that God is punishing us by giving us Bloody George and the cronies who bought the office for him.. ... just a thought -now I'm trying to figure out why we deserved to be punished.
    lol
    Mary Grace
    <p>If it isn't fun - don't do it.</p>
      October 13, 2005 7:36 PM BST
  • "God made me do it" is a denial of personal responsibility. The war in Iraq was Bush's war, supported by Blair. Let's not bring God into it.
      October 15, 2005 12:37 AM BST
  • I don't think that there's been a war ever where the leader of one country didn't claim the support of god.

Could you imagine Tony Blair standing in front of 10 Downing street making a speech to the country... (for each tripple dot, read a Tony Blair type pause mid-sentence.)

"last night... I prayed to God. I prayed for guidance in the conflict... with Iraq... and... I prayed... for his support...

and I'm afraid... that God isn't with us on this one..."

Of course, there's a big difference between claiming Gods support, and acctually going on record as saying that God told you to do it!

the first is heresy and blasphemy. The latter is heresy, blasphemy, and a psychiatric condition.
      October 20, 2005 2:51 AM BST
    i think this a set up............

the real desision makers in the states are playing the damage limitation game................. a former president who did controversial and unpopular work will never be seen as stupid, bullying or incompetent........only "ill".....
    and now we see the start of bush's image changers rolling out the "he wasn't evil or destructive" just "ill" line....again we are in the realms of personal responsability being removed from the issue of bush's reign
    love and light
    no vote? right!
    Natalie xx Good girls go to heaven, bad girls go everywhere! -unknown
      November 6, 2005 8:30 AM GMT
  • Alli,

I couldn't agree more, scary innit, that the worlds most powerful man, (gulp) is a complete fruit bat!

Martha
      November 8, 2005 1:22 PM GMT
  • Hi, luvs--

**chuckles**

As one of those conservative somewhat religious types, even I have to admit that when one "hears from God to do such and such" I get nervous.

Really nervous.

How do I know that said person just doesn't have little voices in his/her head telling them things?

I find the best way to listen to your deity of choice is to read their sacred writings...then live them. Voices just don't cut it for me.

I might say that Dubya used a poor choice of terminology...as a person who makes her living with words, this is just really icky, kids. (Don't you just love the precise, techincal terminology I just used? )

Now: War in some cases is justified. I am still not sure this was such a case. I said before this thing started that it stunk remarkably like Vietnam.

Amazingly, a few years after the fact, major politicos are finding that this 'ol girl was dead on.

**sticks tongue out, makes raspberry noise**

I hate to say I told you so, but....

Luv 'n hugs anyway,

Dr. Mina Sakura
    Living as the woman I am!
      November 10, 2005 7:21 PM GMT