Breastforms and Adhesives...

• October 12, 2005 9:13 AM BST
    Michelle,

There shouldn't be any health concerns with silicone/skin contact except in very rare cases or extreme skin sensitivity, it is the same material as used in breast implants after all.

Any irritation could be related to the skin not being able to breathe or a type of sweat rash. To help control this you could try sticking a thong style panty liner to the form.

As for the adhesive I use the double sided tapes from the Breastformstore.com and have never had any problems with irritation or removing the adhesive from the skin. Any left over bits (if any) come off easily with soap and water. They also do little wipes that refresh the adhesive so you can use them again (up to 3 times in my experience). From time to time, depending on bra and what I am wearing I will just use my forms without tapes (normally because I have run out or can't be bothered fitting them).

Hope that helps but if you are having problems a quick word with the lovely people at BFS.com should solve them.

Alex
    xxxx
  • October 11, 2005 11:46 PM BST
    Hi All,

This is a question for those girls who have been using silicon breastforms and adhesives? Is there any long term health impact to the daily use of adhesives or of the silicon/skin contact? Have any studies been done? What have your experiences been?

I've been just using some small silicon breast enhancers with the included two sided Adhesive tape. They feel great and warm up to body temperature well. However, I want to get some actual breastforms. I noticed that the sticky residue from the tape can be cleaned off ( I use rubbing alcohol), but was curious as to any potential health effect of these or any other medical adhesives used for actual breastforms. Any Comments/ experiences will be welcome...

Hugz,
    Michelle Lynn

• 430 posts
    October 12, 2005 2:05 AM BST
    Breast forms,

I have used them but i never bothered with the adhesives. I just used a sports bra or crop top. they hold them in place well and dont have the trouble of cleaning up adhesive mess.

I never had a problem with them moving or coming loose.
  • October 12, 2005 4:10 AM BST
    Michelle,

I have done as you have for days with only a little redness and irritation. I assume it is from the skin not being able to "breathe" as well under the silicone, combined with the usual irritation from shaving chest hairs.

I doubt that there is any harm, plus I don't sleep with them on or anything, so my skin has a chance to recoup.

If the irritation ever gets annoying, I switch to a cotton covered foam breast shape under a bra. It's not as natural looking or feeling, but with most tops (especially now that the cold weather is back), the difference is only noticeable to me, most likely. I just miss the weight and the feel.

Hope this is of some help.

Sincerely, Yours,

Kari
    • 67 posts
    January 4, 2006 3:13 PM GMT
    I've never really tried using an adhesive but my interest began to pique lately in regards to 'attaching' my silicone breast forms once I bought myself a gorgeously skimpy halter cocktail dress. I've heard through the makeup industry (and I'm talking about Hollywood movie style makeup artists) that there are adhesives such as spirit gum that work marvelously. Plus 'putties' that can be used to fill in the gaps, so to speak. Has anyone any more information on something like this? I'd love to be able to parade around in my halters without the use of a bra. Any info would be most welcome. Thanks girls!...............

Stacy
  • January 4, 2006 3:35 PM GMT
    Stacy,

My best luck has come from using a "Nu-Bra". If you have somewhat of a chest to start with, even if it's mainly muscle. these can stick on and then be pulled together to give great, yet completely backless, cleavage.

To be honest, I cheat. I'm naturally a B cup, but I bought a B cup one and loved it, but for some outfits I wanted "a little more", shall we say. So, being the creative and improvisational sort that I am, I went and bought a B and a C cup and silicone glued the smaller one inside the larger one. Hot, dang, that sure does the trick for halters, tank tops, etc. It's also better than just taping silicone forms to each breast because of the little clasp that pulls the two together, creating nice cleavage.

I'd recommend giving it a try. When the Nu-Bra starts to not want to stick on it's own, or your really trying to "pull 'em together" for maximum cleavage, then you will have to use some adhesive tape. You can find it at most better department stores. Where ever they sell bras, you can probably find some self-stick ones (often by the fancy lingerie stuff for bridal, etc. GG's usually only wear them under bridal/bridesmaid/formal occasion dresses). Near there should be some replacement tape.

"Good luck, and good cleavage..." LOL!!!!!

Hugs,

Kari
  • April 25, 2007 12:38 AM BST
    What a pity we couldn't have inflatable breast implants for when we dress and for when us ladies that have to go back to male mode, we could "deflate them" (sigh)
    • 2627 posts
    October 12, 2005 2:19 AM BST
    I'm with Fiona on this one. I've never had them fall or slide down with a proper fitting bra. Of course if you want to wear something low cut. Well thats a different ballgame.
    • 2573 posts
    April 25, 2007 5:20 AM BST
    Since you have spent a large sum of money on your breastforms....

I recommend being careful what you use to clean them off. The cover for the silicon gel may degrade and eventually rupture if you use the wrong solvent to clean it. This will void your warranty. I recommend being sure that the form will not be damaged by any cleaning solution other than water (some adhesives are water soluble). The best way to do this is to ask the place you purchased them from or the manufacturer what is safe/best to use. Don't assume what is safe on one form will be safe on another brand/model.