R.I.P. BRIONY JAY

• 773 posts
    February 7, 2006 5:55 PM GMT
    This is a most difficult forum post for me. It is with great sadness that I inform all of our members of the passing of Briony Jay.

Briony was a prominent figure in the UK transgender community. Though it was only within the past few years that Briony became free to express her identity, her influence was felt in every corner of the kingdom, and beyond. It was during our recent visit to Great Britain I conferred upon her the moniker of “Mother Confessor” to all Britain’s trannies, and a more fitting candidate for this title one can certainly not imagine, as she is singularly responsible for encouraging countless transgender people in the UK to get out for the first time and express themselves, not the least of whom is our own Maryanne Talmadge, with whom she shared a special bond. Briony and Maryanne were very close, indeed, corresponding by phone and in person daily. I know I speak for everyone when I say that we are all here for Maryanne, to help her deal with this devastating loss, which we all share.

Each of us had a special way in which we enjoyed our individual relationships with Briony. For me, it was our common interest in the etymology of words and expressions. It was Briony who taught me to speak proper British, as well as the intricacies of rhyming slang. It was Briony who introduced me to steak and kidney pudding and proper British tea, and I, in turn, taught her the proper way to prepare hominy grits, and introduced her to that heavenly blend of spices, indigenous to my hometown of Baltimore, Old Bay seasoning. It was Briony who persuaded me, and in turn, Gloria Glover, to visit the UK, and for this, we owe her a great debt of gratitude, for without her cajoling, we might never have had the opportunity to become a part of the finest and most loving group of friends whom it has ever been my privilege to know. I know I speak for Gloria, also, when I say how much we love you all, and share your pain at our common loss.

At risk of sounding callous, life in the transgender world continues. The torch has now been passed to the next generation of trannies, and the title of Mother Confessor, and the awesome responsibility associated with it, has now been conferred upon Maryanne Talmadge, a most fitting heiress whom Briony groomed for this role, knowing in the wisdom that comes with age that she was nearing the end of her reign. The time has come for you to be strong, Maryanne, and to carry on the good works of our friend and mentor. We know, as Briony herself knew, that you, of all people, are up to this challenge.

Briony, I know you are gazing lovingly upon us as we grieve for you, and that it would be your wish that we not mourn your passing, but celebrate your life, and be ever grateful for the privilege of having known you. You will be sorely missed.

• February 7, 2006 11:15 PM GMT

Some Velvet Morning
    Artist: Nancy Sinatra

Some velvet mornin' when I'm straight
    I'm gonna open up your gate
    And maybe tell you 'bout Phaedra
    And how she gave me life
    And how she made it end

Flowers growing on a hill, dragonflies and daffodils
    Learn from us very much, look at us but do not touch
    Phaedra is my name

And how she gave me life
    And how she made it end

Flowers are the things we know, secrets are the things we grow
    Learn from us very much, look at us but do not touch
    Phaedra is my name

Flowers growing on a hill
    dragonflies and daffodils
    Learn from us very much
    And how she gave me life
    look at us but do not touch
    FADE
    And how she made it end
  • February 8, 2006 9:11 AM GMT
    I spotted your red leather coat, and knew that it was you,
    I was 7 hours late, covered in threads, and they were electric blue,

You tilted your head sidewards, and I went a little coy,
    "Who on earth's this urchin, is it a pizza delivary boy ?"

"B, it's Rooby" I said to you "it's been a stressful day
    "I brought your skirt you ordered, and a compact disc to play"

"I know it's late, its raining, and there's water in my socks"
    "But I brought a bag of make up and a couple of party frocks"

"You can change in my hotel room" you said, "but it's nearly time for bed"
    I emmerged 2 hours later with a skunk upon my head

"For effort, ten out of ten, but for time keeping, you've failed"
    "Now say 5 hail Briony's, and I'll let you do my nails"

I stumbled, I flapped, I faltered, and I hung my head in shame,
    You just smiled, and shook your head, and enquired about my name,

"It's trailer-trash inspired, and I have hotpants to match"
    You laughed and mock-tutted, and said "You know I don't do tat"

A friendship was forged that night, before we both retired
    As first meetings go, my friend, it was pretty damn inspired !
    • 614 posts
    February 8, 2006 11:38 AM GMT
    im so sorry to hear of this said news , i never got to meet miss b , but my thoughts go out to al her friends and family at this time
  • February 8, 2006 12:19 PM GMT
    Big, big smiles
    Beatles lyrics
    Egyptian gold nail varnish

11th hour manicures
    Creative energy harnessed

Blind faith and inspiration
    And that Great British reserve

Identity and freedom
    All the things that you deserve

A creative industry, kick-started
    With an ickle glass of Ron

I'm celebrating your life, right now
    I'm gonna miss you, hon.
    • 9 posts
    February 8, 2006 6:24 PM GMT
    What a shock to hear this sad news from Maryanne today. I am at a loss for words on loosing such a nice friendly and supportive person that I had the pleasure to go out with on my first time in Manchester, she took the trouble to see that I was all right and tears are filling up right now as I type. Such a loss will be so missed by all, Briony it was so nice to have met you.

Jennifer Green
  • February 8, 2006 6:59 PM GMT
    To my great sadness in loosing you Briony is added an even greater pain that I never met you. We had so many many conversations about the world, universe and beer, put the world to rights, shared laughter and tears and now youre gone and the world is missing one of the kindest souls.
    Briony, I believe that somewhere else on the very second you left us, a baby girl came into the world and will grow up with a mischievious look in her eye and a kind of 'Knowing' and that she too will be a genuine friend and rock as you were. This I pray for.
    Night night ' B' xxxxxxxxxxMmmmwaahhhhh Helene
  • February 13, 2006 2:01 AM GMT
    I was never lucky enough to meet this wonderful lady and from reading here, I feel my life is less for it.

May you rest in peace, you inspired many and your legacy will continue to.
    • 773 posts
    February 13, 2006 5:22 PM GMT
    We're working on that, Mere. We'll let you all know.
  • February 16, 2006 6:20 PM GMT
    I'm so sorry to hear this. It is a great loss to us all.
    I send my condolences to her friends and family.

~Valerie
    • 1083 posts
    February 16, 2006 10:45 PM GMT
    Goddess, what a loss.

I greive as well; though we never met, I feel like I have lost a dear, dear friend.

Rest in Peace, Briony.

Mina
    • 90 posts
    February 17, 2006 12:12 AM GMT
    I am so sorry to hear this also.
    • 166 posts
    February 18, 2006 1:03 PM GMT
    ...Condolences... to Family and Freinds....
    ( "You get to wear Your "faves" in Heaven ! " ) "K"
    • 374 posts
    February 19, 2006 10:52 AM GMT
    My thoughts and prayers go out to Briony's family & friends. Although I did not know Briony, from all the posts I've read, this community has lost a very dear person who will be greatly missed. Rest in peace Briony.

Monika
    • 2573 posts
    February 7, 2006 7:03 PM GMT
    Goodbye Briony,

Wherever you are, I hope you are, at last, as you have always wanted to be. You will be missed by many, and remembered....girlfriend

Maryanne, you know all you have to do is "call".
    • 2127 posts
    February 7, 2006 7:16 PM GMT
    This is terrible news. There's not much I can add to what has already been said except to say that I am very sad indeed as I'm sure we all are following this great loss.

Katie

• 2068 posts
    February 7, 2006 8:00 PM GMT
    I can't really add anything to whats been said, except to say that like the rest of TW am shocked to hear of briony's passing. We've Lost a very dear friend, so everyone'd bound to be sad. It's at times like this that we see the true TW....all us girls coming together as one to remember such a kind soul. Maryanne.......just hang in there hun, we're all with you

Love & xxxxxxxxxxxx Anna-Marie
    • 456 posts
    February 7, 2006 9:26 PM GMT
    I too only had the pleasure of meeting Briony on one occasion but her enthusiasm and openheartedness were an inspiration.

The world is a darker place for her loss
    • 2627 posts
    February 8, 2006 10:49 AM GMT
    I didn't know her but I do know the pain of loss. I'm sorry so many have to feel that & I sympothise.
    As we get older loss is something we have to deal with more & more. It never gets easier & we feel some deeper than others. I can see this is one felt by many. But don't lose the example she set in that way her torch can be carried on & never forgoten.

Karenxx
    • 2463 posts
    February 8, 2006 4:02 PM GMT
    Karen Brad called me last night and told me this news. While I never knew Briony in person, I did know her from TW.

I am so sorry to hear of her loss. I am also sorry for those who knew her personally and are grieving.

Goodbye, Briony. We love you.
    • 2463 posts
    February 13, 2006 3:37 PM GMT
    Is there any place here on TW that we can dedicate to Briony's memory?