strange looks

• February 26, 2006 9:14 PM GMT
    Ok, well I have never posted on here, but I've had some things happen recently that I just need outside opinions on. I went full time fast, like 7 months after I started hormones. Now, up until recently I had though I was way ahead of the game as far as passing goes b/c I very rarely got those strange looks that make us all uncomfortable. Anyways, now I've been full time about 8 months an on hormones for over a year, but I feel like I get read a lot more than I did when I first went full time. Has anyone else had this kind of experience? A friend of mine told me that I'm getting the looks now because before people knew right off that I was a transsexual and now they look at me harder because it's harder for them to figure it out, meaning these uncomfortable stares are in a way a good thing and also temporary. I'm just hoping to get some other opinions on the subject. Thanks,

~Jennifer
    • 112 posts
    February 27, 2006 8:27 AM GMT
    Maybe they are thinking, "she's a nice looking girl"!
    You never know..........
    love and light
    have fun tonight
  • February 27, 2006 9:46 PM GMT
    Honestly I think most of it is in my head, I've been really depressed and self concious about my appearance lately. I also notice on days that I'm feeling good I don't receive the "looks" I think that I do on the bad days. I get treated very well in fact, ma'amed constantly and even flirted with. I just need to get over my fears.
  • February 28, 2006 2:04 PM GMT
    Yea thanks for the vote of confidence . Nah, it's not all in my head, someone somewhere will always read me at some point, but most of the time I don't think people do, unless I give myself away acting like a nervous spaz. I do run into people from high school alot since I live in my home city and high school wasn't all that long ago, that's always interesting
  • March 8, 2006 6:09 AM GMT
    Brina,

See, I know that it doesn't really matter if I get read, but, at my age, there is a lot more pressure to fit in and be "normal" than for someone a tad older. I've always been a bit tense, I get some pretty bad anxiety. My doc started me on something for it about a week ago and I find that the "looks" I were seeing are almost nonexistant, or that I get looked at, but it's not a bad look at all. If I think rationally about it I know I don't get clocked that much, I never have trouble w/ my voice and other than a few facial features that bug me I think I look pretty female. I'm still sure I get read sometimes but I'm not so worried as I was. Anyways, it's funny how lowering your anxiety level can help things along..

~Jenny
    • 588 posts
    March 8, 2006 6:48 PM GMT
    I think you may be pointing at something important, Jennifer. The greater pressure to conform, that is what I heard from my ten year younger sister when she was in her late teens and early twenties. She simply said to me: "The way you and K (my one year younger sister) acted - not trying to fit in at all, that simply won't work anymore."
    I did think she was exagerating a bit, but could also see that she were right. When I talked to her about it we were in the middle of the feminist backlash of the 'nineties. My sister also confirmed my impression that it wasn't just a question of a "feminist backlash". It's a general question of social pressures to conform.
    There may in fact, I think, have been some advantages to growing up in the late sixties, and in the seventies.
  • March 9, 2006 4:01 AM GMT

"Btw. I thing also that you have the right instinct to get dressed. " I don't understand, what do you mean by this?

~Jenny
  • March 9, 2006 1:51 PM GMT
    Yea, I got it, thanks
    • 2573 posts
    February 27, 2006 4:38 PM GMT
    Welcome to TW, Jennifer.
    • 2463 posts
    February 28, 2006 3:50 PM GMT
    Hi Jennifer. I meant to write earlier but circumstances kept me from responding to much these days.

First, welcome to TW. You'll find this to be a great place. As for what you do, you strike me as someone with a good head on her shoulders, so I know that whatever path you choose should work out. Good luck.

Mere