Canadians vs Americans

• 67 posts
    July 18, 2006 4:40 PM BST
    Okay. Time for me to sound off. In Canada, there seems to be a proliferation of anti-Amercanism. I just want to tell my American sisters that the things you hear about Canada (eg. Carolyn Parrish stomping on a George Bush doll) is NOT indicative of the majority of Canadians. No matter what you hear, the majority of Canadians do NOT hate our American cousins. They just fudge the polling numbers to make it seem that they speak for each and every Canadian. Every bar I go to, everyone I talk to, feels the same way. It's just the press taking things out of context in order to sell papers. It's left-wing propaganda. Plain and simple.

I ask my fellow Canadians just who would they prefer to have as a neighbour? Irag? Iran? Afghanistan? Lebanon? Their faces pale. No one could ask for a better neighbour then the good ole USA! I visit at least one new state per year on my travels abroad. Every state I've visited I've met truly wonderful people. Sure there are problem spots but we have them in our country too. Sure not everyone is nice but I've seen that in ALL parts of the world in my other travels. Every country has their good points and their bad ones. The same with the USA.

What I'm trying to say is that though most of the world seems down on the US, it's not the people that should be lumped in with this. A lot of people just don't agree with the government's foreign policy but I can say the same about my country's foreign policy under a Liberal government. I too may not agree with anything the US government is working for but I do know one thing.........the people of the US I've spent time with, the people of the US I've shared drinks with, the people of the US I've traveled with are some of the most wonderful people I've ever met in my entire life! I for one could never, EVER ask for a better neighbour then the US of A!!!

Love ya all!

Stacy
    • 773 posts
    July 18, 2006 5:08 PM BST
    Thanks so much for that endorsement Stacy. Of course, those hosers who would say negative things about us here in the home of the brave might do well to remember that Canadians are really just Americans without guns, and that the only way one can distinguish a Canadian from an ordinary person is when they're dressed to go outdoors, eh.

Geddy Lee Rules!!!!!!
    • 588 posts
    July 18, 2006 6:04 PM BST
    Governments and people... The first groups too seldom represent the true interests of the last, as i'm sure many americans are well aware of. I'd say the same thing may be true for borders, as for governments. A well known left-wing point of view of course...
    • 67 posts
    July 18, 2006 10:03 PM BST
    Ladies! Since this is all about politics (as the forum states) and each and every one of us are entitled to their opinion (isn't that what WWII was fought for?), it's nice to see varied opinions. But all I was trying to state was that I, myself, have nothing personal as a Canadian towards my fellow American neighbours. Around border towns, Americans are subject to nightly news casts depicting Canadians in a similar manner as Palestinians or Iraquis running amok and burning effigies of Bush and the American flag (though it's not THAT bad!). All I'm trying to get across is that most of us in Canada are more then happy to have the USA as neighbours and that many of their citizens are very likable people. I really enjoy Americans as much as I do Britians, French, Germans, Russians, Japanese and the entire myriad of people that make up our Planet Earth. And hey, there ARE Iraquis and Iranians and North Koreans and Angolans that are real decent people. I know that for a fact because my country of Canada is a multi-cultural society and we welcome people from around the globe and I meet these people first hand. Governments are governments. They look after the interests of their society, albeit in a different fashion then most of us would. Knock Big Brother all you want but the people that are within those borders are decent people. THAT is my point. That not all Americans are bullies! I wish I had the time to tell you about my experiences during my travels abroad but there's not enough space here. But I've been treated just as nicely in my visits to America as I have on my ventures to South America, Africa and Europe. There are ALWAYS decent folk wherever you go!

Stacy
    • 773 posts
    July 18, 2006 10:51 PM BST
    Stacy, I'm more than happy to have Canada as a neighbor. You don't play the music too loud, and your dog doesn't poop on my lawn, so I'm happy. One thing, though. Once, while watching a perfectly good fistfight, a hockey game suddenly broke out. What's up with that?
    • 67 posts
    July 20, 2006 5:20 PM BST
    Ahhhh....hockey! *L* That was a brilliant observation Robyn. Hey, when you live almost 3/4 of a year (exaggeration!) in a frozen matrix, cabin fever seems to grip most of us while we're sitting around in our igloos so when we finally do get out, we kinda need to get out our frustrations so we end up playing hockey to settle us down! But just to set you straight, do you know that northern California is more north then Toronto on latitude? As for hockey, do you know that out of 30 teams, only 6 are Canadian? Our national pastime has now gone south!

Stacy
    • 1195 posts
    July 20, 2006 9:40 PM BST
    Stacy dear....we love Canada too. I'd migrate if I could but I'm too old they don't want me. As for someone stumping on a George Bush doll that happens here too. 72% of the voters here either didn't vote or voted against the current administration....so please don't associate the current administratiion with the American people....no connection. And I don't want to get started into how I feel about someone who portray himself as a Texan when he isn't. I have made many friendships with Canadians, mostly hockey players, and they're great. And in fact I spent a happy summer touring eastern Canada...a fond memory.
  • July 18, 2006 5:19 PM BST
    Irag? Iran? Afghanistan? Lebanon? I would not want those as my neighbours... And I wouldn't want Uganda, Kazakstan, Mali or Colombia as my neigbour either. But how about Germany, South Korea, Japan or Norway?
    You can't chose your neighbours but you have to remember that the US is held to a different standard than most countries since it is the only real superpower on earth. I think this is only fair as with power comes responisbility.
    No matter what the US does or doesn't do they will be critizised for it.
    I don't dislike the average US citizen at all but I am very clear about what I think about the US throwing bombs at random countries, not living up to international treaties and bullying even allies into doing its bidding.
    That being said, I'd still prefer having USA as my neighbour to having Saudi Arabia...
    • 2573 posts
    July 18, 2006 6:35 PM BST
    I"m sorry but there is a clear way to recognize Canadians. From watching SOUTH PARK I have seen Ike, the adopted Canadian kid and of course ther US-Canadian war show...so you can always tell a Canadian for they look like this:

:-|

It's in the mouth, you see?

Doesn't EVERYONE jump up and down on George Bush Jr.'s picture? I know I do. Wink Wink Nod Nod Say no more!