New Zeland is the place

• 1195 posts
    July 25, 2006 1:03 PM BST
    I lioked this article so I thought I'd share it.
    Any comments?

N Zealand lawyer in court in drag
    A high-profile New Zealand lawyer has decided to wear women's clothing to court to highlight male bias within the justice system.
    Rob Moodie, 67, arrived at Wellington's High Court on Monday in a blue women's suit, stockings and a diamond brooch.

"I'm objecting to the male ethos that is dominating this case and from now on I'm going to be dressing as a girl in my daily life," Mr Moodie said.

He is married with three children and says his family support his protest.

The bald, moustachioed former rugby player, who has served as secretary for the New Zealand police union, said he wanted to flag up the domination of the "old boys' network" in the judiciary.

"The more this goes on and the deeper the cover-up gets, the frocks will get prettier," he told Reuters news agency.

He was in court for a long-running case involving a bridge collapse on a North Island farm.

Mr Moodie, who says he wants the court to address him as Ms Alice, told Reuters he believed the two sexes were complementary.

"The front row of the All Blacks is a very important part of maleness and is not to be disparaged at all, but neither should the guy who wants to do ballet," he said.

Story from BBC NEWS:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/asia-pacific/5212752.stm

Published: 2006/07/25 09:33:37 GMT

© BBC MMVI
  • August 27, 2006 4:11 AM BST
    The tide really is turning-In New York State the Human Rights Law,recently, has been applied to transsexuals by a State Supreme Court Judge in Westchester County.She stated that the word "sex" in the law covers transsexuals.The ruling is also consistant with recent federal appeals courts that have found that transsexuals are protected under federal sex discrimination laws, on the theory that discrimination due to stereotyped views about gender often amounts to sex discrimination, even though the federal laws do not specifically mentiion gender identity.Once this sinks in to employers they will have an obligation to see that transsexuals are protected in the workplace from harrasment from fellow employees.
    Now, there is still a ways to go,because some of the decisions may yet be appealed to higher courts,but many are now being advised by their lawyers to deveolp employment policies consistant with these decisions.
    This whole thing must seem strange to our Canadian and European members who come under more reasonable laws.
  • July 25, 2006 6:43 PM BST
    Interesting. Is it really a protest against the "old boy network", or is he a closet tranny seeking an outlet to express himself? Either way, I admire him for going public. I only hope people take him seriously. Otherwise his action could work against progress rather than support it.

Catherine (still in the closet)