shaving

• July 31, 2006 1:22 AM BST
    Hi im new here and Im closeted cd and wanting to go out in girl mode. I've shaved part of my legs with hair removal cream and i used moisturizer lotion were i shaved and i still got red bumps everywear. I need some addvise on how to shave and not get the red bumps.
    Lindsey Lipstick
    • 140 posts
    August 13, 2006 1:01 PM BST
    Hi Lindsey: Sounds like you have sensitive skin. I have been
    shaving mine for years and you will find it gets easier the more you do it. You might want to try the "sensitive skin" razors, they don't get quite as close to the skin's surface. Creams work, but not for everyone. Sometmes a razor is just better. I have also been told the "VEET" brand of cream depliatory is very good and doesn't seem to have too many reactions with it's use. Hope this helps,
  • August 16, 2006 4:29 AM BST
    Thanks for the reply. I have never heard of sensitive skin razors, I'll have to look for one of those. I tried one kind of hair removal cream and all I got were the bumps, i guess i should have tried veet instead. I so wish I could put a on a pair of pantyhose with smooth legs.
    Lindsey
  • January 16, 2007 5:47 AM GMT
    I found that VEET hair removal products to be very good at removing hair. It has left my legs smooth and sexy. Given the choice I would hairless all the time.
    • 30 posts
    January 16, 2007 6:46 PM GMT
    Hi... remember, there are also the "epilators", like electric shavers, but they pull the hairs out instead of cutting them. (My wife and I refer to ours as the "yankee".) The first time you use it it may be painful, but it is very mild once you are used to it. The advantage of it is that you get very smooth, and the hair does not grow back fast. There is never stubble, because new growth is fine hair. I only have to use it about once a month now, because regrowth has been inhibited. Also, if I let it go a while, people can look at my "man legs", and just think I have thin leg hair.
    The epilator is also great for removing hair from the back of the hand and the wrist, and for thinning arm hair. I also clear the back of my neck with it, although that is a little more painful for me.
    • 24 posts
    January 17, 2007 10:09 AM GMT
    Hi, like Karin I've also found an epilator preferable to shaving, leaves skin so much smoother for longer & doesn't seem to attract as much attention as 2 day old stubble, used to get smart arse comments at work during summer when wearing shorts & tee shirts about forgetting to shave, no-one to seems to notice now if I let legs & arms grow for a week or more. must admit it's a bit "ouch" on chest & stomach but also worth the result
  • January 30, 2007 6:25 PM GMT
    Im glad I read this thread now being a slave to shaving, I decided to try going the way of an epilator and aside from the mild discomfort it seems to really be working and so far at least it seems to be lasting a hell of a lot longer than shaving or creams
    • 100 posts
    March 28, 2007 11:43 AM BST
    Great link Wendy. Its gone into favs already! Tinaxxx
    • 448 posts
    December 31, 2007 9:34 AM GMT
    I'm quite fortunate in that my body hair is very fine and fair. So I only have to shave every six weeks or so and even then it's not urgent. I use a Gillette Fusion razor and always adopt the same process. I shave late, sponge my body down, and always use shaving gel. After that I have a warm shower just to cool the skin down a bit. I then use double bass cream all over my body ( I recommend it, makes your skin feel so soft ). I put a little talcum powder on any inflammed spots. I know I'm going to feel a little sore which is why I shave late. I just let the cream dry off a bit, put on my silky pyjamas and go to bed. When I wake up in the morning the soreness has gone.
    • 67 posts
    December 31, 2007 2:01 PM GMT

double bass ? i thought that was a big violin !

vikki x
    • 1912 posts
    December 31, 2007 2:15 PM GMT
    No No Vikki, double bass is when you catch two fish on one hook. You're not smearing slimy fish oil all over your body are you Porscha, LOL.
    • 448 posts
    December 31, 2007 5:43 PM GMT
    Actually it's Double Base and you can buy it over the counter at the chemist, Lucy. It is about £12 a tub. Use it after showering, its lovely. How did you know I can play the violin, Vikki. I didn't know anyone knew about the slimy fish oil thing. That's just between me and very close friends.
    • 1912 posts
    January 30, 2008 1:25 PM GMT
    I have started using a Braun epilator for my legs and find it not to be painful. I have read there is the possibility of ingrown hairs so I will keep an eye on that. Also on Anne's comment about teeth. Baking soda does work pretty good, you can even buy toothpaste with baking soda. As for oil pulling, the only real benefit is that it helps clean between the teeth and massages the gums. The detox part is totally bunk simply because for the time involved you will swallow some of the oil so if it really did pull toxins out of your body you are just putting them back in. Besides, who wants to swish oil between there teeth for a half hour or more. It is easy enough to find info online about this. As for nearly everything, eating healthy will provide the best overall benefit for your entire body, inside and out.
  • February 7, 2008 7:35 AM GMT
    no messing around, go for the wax , it hurts like hell on the top of your leg but it is much faster than the epilator (i think epilation seems to appeal to pp that enjoy the pain a bit to much)

if it brings to much of a tear to your eye thou though of ripping the little buggers from your skin, then i found that if i wash with hot water first, then exfoliate the area i am going to shave and use conditioner as a shaving cream has worked for me the best. the more i shave the less irritation i get as well.

hope this has helped.
    samantha
    • 15 posts
    March 7, 2008 10:56 PM GMT
    The cream you want isn't Double Bass or even Double Base. It's called Diprobase, and is readily available from pharmacies. I came across it when our health visitor recommended it for my daughter's nappy rash! (Sorry, but it's true.) I recognised it at once because I made the same mistake about the name! It is excellent post-shaving, and actually you can mix it with water and use it as a shaving cream as well. The big plus is that it is made for people with very dry and sensitive skin, so no perfume, colours or anything that will upset the balance of sore or itchy skin. Wonderful stuff, very soothing! Hope that helps. Love, Lizzie
    • 181 posts
    September 5, 2008 6:59 PM BST
    Lensey, I have to shave every day still. I use the Gilette Mach 3 rasors simply because they work soooooo well. I use them for underarms , legs arms as wellas my face ! Bic makes a sensitive skin razor, but I think in time you willagree that even they're more expensive ,the Gilettes are worth it! Ellen Shaver
  • September 7, 2008 10:19 PM BST
    I'm one of the fortunate ones, I have very little body hair and what I have is very fine and doesn't show.
    My fiance who happens to be a TV, however, is relatively hairy. As Bob he used to attend a salon every six weeks to get waxed. This was fairly costly. For less than the price of one session we purchased an epilator. This came with an ice pack to cool the skin. After the first session which caused B a little pain we found that the pain was negligible if the skin was pulled tight. B does his own front while I do the back and bits that cannot be reached. The time taken is less than travel to/from the salon and the waxing. As for the bum crack I shave this every other week for B.
    If I do have the odd hair show on my wrists I just run the epilator over them.
    Alina
    • 3 posts
    December 31, 2008 4:04 PM GMT
    Hi Lindsey,

I am fairly new to tranny web, but have been shaving my body for years. I always just use the shower and hot most water method. i do use a rotation of the razor i use on my face so it is fairly sharp. i love shaving in the showe it gives me such a feminine feeling and way to start my day. I shave everywhere this way. My breasts, my underarms, the back of my hands and wrists. etc. I have used some cream and then tried to shave and that is where sometimes i run into problems...good luck and happy new year.

jamie
  • September 27, 2009 9:27 AM BST
    One of the things I found out was that I always have to use a new razor when I shave my legs/arms/body/ etc. Otherwise I end up with problems.

I also use a shaving foam for sensitive skin and I soak in the tub with HOT water for at least a few minutes before starting.

Thanks for the link Wendy it was very good

Stephenie
  • January 15, 2010 1:01 PM GMT
    how long does the hair come back after using veet cream???

Im shaving only whenever i have to wear shorts or skirt or go swimming... but usually im using slacks pants thats why i didnt shave often...
    • 72 posts
    January 15, 2010 1:32 PM GMT
    I have tried shaving but i think that it makes the skin a bit hard.Secondly hair regrows very fast.I think that hair remover cream and waxing is much better.Currently i am waxing my body,but must say that i have to use a lot of wax strips to lessen my hair .Being not a genetic women we have more hair than a naturally born woman.Waxing also makes the skin soft.
  • January 22, 2010 12:33 PM GMT
    Another option if epilators sound to painful: Most department stores such as Target in the US now sell electric razors for men for removing body hair. They are aimed at bodybuilders, etc., are not too expensive, and I found it fairly effective (for a short time unfortunately) on legs, back, chest. Not as smooth as a GG, but looks pretty good, I think.
    • 1195 posts
    January 23, 2010 4:01 PM GMT
    Chinee
    To answer your question. I use Veet on my arms and hands. It takes about 10 days before noticable hair apprears.
    I've tried it on my legs and got about the same results as shaving with a razor and gel.
    Oh - I also use Veet on my back and it keeps the hair off for a longer time - about three weeks.
    I hope that information helps. Remember everyone's skin doesn't react the same.

hugs
    Gracie
    • 1 posts
    August 1, 2010 1:25 PM BST
    It seems like everythings been covered but here's my 2 cents anyway.

If you shave consistently the issue with red bumps only lasts for a couple of weeks, it's just because your skin isn't used to the shaving. I had the same problem at first, but now hadly at all. I've used all of the different creams and they work ok but for me didn't last and I didn't like the concept of constantly using the cream for adding chemicals to my skin, or especially in those "hard to reach areas". Veet does seem to work a little better than Nair.

I shave in the shower usually with just soap, though the shaving gels seem to work better overall, but I shave my legs and underarms every day...so soap works just fine and saves time. Typically a new razor will also make a huge difference but I change mine about once a week and use the higher end disposables and Skintimate gel and have good results. My own issue has been that even doing that I could never get my legs, or other areas to feel smooth and silky to the touch...always the feeling of stubble, though slight. I don't have a lot of body hair, yet I think mens hair is just more course so harder to eliminate. If I went a whole week without shaving the hair would not be noticable to the eye....but it drives me crazy because it is very noticable to me, and to the touch.

Waxing just seems very expensive, messy at home, and I haven't really tried it. In my opinion the epilator is the way to go. It works. Personally I don't think it is really painful, and the results are worth it. If you get one....shave your legs, etc maybe in the morning, so the hair isn't long. Then begin....use the epilator at night (bumps will be gone by morning) and epilate some every night for a week or two. This keeps the pain minimal because you're not yanking out a ton of longer hairs, it's gradual. After that you can go long periods in between but the course hair diminishs quickly. Yes, fine hairs are left behind but if you add a quick shave every couple of days...... I finally am getting close to having my legs FEEL smooth most of the time. And...instead of shaving every single day I can go weeks really, but don't mind giving things the "once over" every three four days just to keep things silky. Maybe it's not the same for everyone, but i think it eventually gives results similar to laser but instead of hundreds or thousands of dollars, I bought an epilator for 60.00 and only have to do a little bit of work in upkeep. After the initial month or two....epilate once a month maybe, shave lightly and quickly, once or twice a week and wellah! :-)
    • 1912 posts
    August 1, 2010 2:53 PM BST
    Personally I think people toss their razors way to soon. You should be able to get weeks if not months from any razor. Shaving itself will not dull a blade, corrosion is what dulls blades. Rinsing your razor after use is the best thing for it because it will remove any foreign material that can hold moisture on the blade. Next is store it in such a manner that it will completely dry between uses. Many blade manufacturers apply a thin film on the blade for corrosion protection which prevents the best shave during the first use.

I find it interesting that some can shave and epilate the same day several times a week. I know my braun silk-epil also has a shaver to take the hair down to the best length for epilating, but maybe it is the hormones or just me, my leg hair doesn't grow fast enough to epilate more than once a week at best.

Something else I read in a woman's magazine was you should not soak more than five minutes before shaving. The reason for this is it opens skin pores up and exposes the more sensitive skin to the razor which can cause irritation. I also believe on most hair remover labels it mentions applying before showering. I think once again that is to protect the more sensitive skin from irritants.

Another possible aid is Dove antiperspirant/deodorant for sensitive skin. I was told it can prevent razor burn and I've read some stuff online agreeing and disagreeing with that.

Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 12 posts
    August 1, 2010 7:48 PM BST
    I use veet at this point for my arms, chest and legs because it gives such a smooth result.
    For my armpits I use a razor. For my beard I'm going to undergo laser to have it removed permanently.
    As Nikki stated this is a slow progress but so worthed.
    For my pubes I wax and cut it short with a "trimmer" (not sure if that is the english word for an electrical machine that they also use to shorten hair on your head).
    Eventually I will laser all my hair but it's tricky from what I read and not a good solution for everybody.
    I was told by my doctor that the best results come from dark hair on a light skin which I luckily have.

So I'm using different methods for different parts of my body.

Kiss,

M.

• 871 posts
    August 1, 2010 11:45 PM BST
    Hiya,
    This thread has been a very interesting read. I was born with a gorilla suit and I come out in blotches just looking at a razor.

Everyone has made lots of really good posts on the best methods they have developed for hair removal but for me the problem has always been skin rashes and blotchiness which occur regardless of which method I use. Marsha's comment about not soaking for more than 5 minutes seems like a good idea that I will adopt. The irritation wasnt something I was happy about so I looked into the reasons why the rashes and blotchiness occurs.

When the hair is cut it usually retracts slightly under the skin and hence why it feels smooth, creams do the same and epilators remove the hair from the root. The red blotches are caused when the hair is trying to poke its way out of the skin causing the skin irritation and hence how ingrown hairs are created. The redness is the swollen hair follicles and surrounding skin and boils can be nasty when the hair follicle becomes blocked.

The best method and probably the only method to prevent this is exfoliation. Exfoliation is the removal of the dead skin cells on the surface allowing the hairs to protrude with ease, which in turn reduces skin irritation to insignificant. Exfoliating gloves and sponges are dead cheep from supermarkets and giving yourself a really good rubdown in the shower everyday is not only very pleasurable and satisfying, your skin will also, with all the old dead cells removed, look so much more supple, younger looking with a healthy glow. Hopefully, red blotches will be a thing of the past.

Love
    Penny
    x
    • 2017 posts
    January 16, 2007 2:03 PM GMT
    I shave my legs all year round and found that they very quickly get used to it and there is no rash or bumps. I tend to do them when in a hot bath as well as this really helps and nowadays just use a leg razor and sensitive skin soap.

If you don't keep them hairfree all the time then this might not be the best method for you, it's just a matter of finding the one that suits you best.

• 2017 posts
    January 29, 2007 12:18 PM GMT
    I tried an epilator for a while but apart from being painful it still failed to get most of the hair out and took a long time. You never know until you try though.
    • 2017 posts
    January 30, 2007 8:02 PM GMT
    Great! Creams are pretty useless as our hair tends to be tougher than GG's. Hair removed by epilation should take at least a couple of weeks to grow back. Glad that you've found a solution.
    • 2573 posts
    March 27, 2007 12:59 AM BST
    This site has some good articles on basic Girlculture that women learn growing up. There's even an article on using makeup and how to dress starting with sixth grade into high school. It makes for a gradual learning curve for a t girl as well.

This article is on pubic shaving and addresses some of the complaints that our members have asked about in forum posts in the past.

http://free-beauty-tips.g[...]ir.html
    • 734 posts
    December 31, 2007 1:43 AM GMT
    Hi all,

I prefer just to shave. On my legs it lasts for a good week or so and on my arms a touch longer. My chest does'nt need it apart from, literally, a couple of stray hairs.

But I am blessed by not having an abundance of body hair and certainly not as badly masculine as some.

I do prefer to use female razors and shaving gels as these seem kinder to my skin. And also - oddly - give a far closer, smoother shave.

But, as has been said, it depends on your skin type I guess - and the coarseness of the hair!

Much love

Rae xx
    • 2017 posts
    December 31, 2007 8:16 AM GMT
    Body hair has been a pain for me, so I am in the middle of getting everything lasered, but it is a slow process.

Like Rae, I use a womans razor and used to use a gel but now just use Dove soap and I have never had redness, bumps or itching, anywhere and it lasts about a week but I tend to shave twice a week in order to keep it all invisible anyhow. I know I have sensitive skin too so if it works for me........

As for the laser, I am nearly finished on my face, (I had a REALLY bad shadow), and will be starting on my chest next month. Personally I think a more permanent solution is the way to go, if you can afford it.

Nikki
    • 1652 posts
    December 31, 2007 11:35 AM GMT
    Double bass cream? What’s that, Porscha?
    xx
    • 2463 posts
    January 30, 2008 1:46 PM GMT
    The last time my legs were shaved someone did it for me!
    • 1017 posts
    August 1, 2010 1:45 PM BST
    Hi Jennifer,

My routine is similar to yours except the shaving part is done by the epilator. It's an Emjoi Elegant model that has three heads, epilator, shaver and exfoliator. I shower and afterward use the shaver. This leaves the skin visually hairless but I can feel the stubble. Next I epilate which leaves me about as hairless as I'm ever going to get. Finally, I use the the exfoliator to remove dry/dead skin and apply a moisturizer.

I have very little body hair and it is very fine and very light colored. I use the epilator once or twice a week (not much arm or leg hair anymore, I've been epilating for years and years.) The shaver and exfoliator whenever needed.

And by the way, welcome to the TGS Forums.

Best,
    Melody
  • August 7, 2010 10:44 PM BST
    i have never owned a razor.Don't All jump on me at once, I have a condition called Reifensteins syndrome. Never had any body hair or facial hair....No its not contageouse otherwise I would be bottling it and selling it........making a fortune. I found Veet good for underarms and used to use it on my genitals, prior to surgery, Once Cass persuaded me to let her wax my bikini line she did my scrotum as well
    nearly ripping it off.......ouch.......bloody hell that was sore. Now I just wax my bikini line whats left of the hair down there.
    I did sometimes get little blind boils using Veet. tends to make the hair grow inwards. I have heard tell that if you wear the same pair of pants for six months, lol, the hairs grow through the material and get ripped out when you pull your knickers off.
    • 734 posts
    August 7, 2010 11:39 PM BST
    Marsha, I do find that hormones have drastically reduced my body hair resulting in minimal shaving requirements of arms and legs.

Penny, I'm not entirely sure I can endorse this product but feel free to give it a go! Many people with very coarse hair - and I'm not suggesting you have - suffer with rashes and 'razer bumps' etc. Sometimes incredibly painfull - I speak from experience! So they often use a product called Magic Shaving Powder from SoftSheen-Carson. It's relatively cheap - in fact I have the best part of tinfull here I can send you no questions asked. The reason I'm not sure about championing its cause is not that it doesn't work, it does, it's just that it brings with it the most malodorous aroma. Far worse than when, some decades ago, I had to take medication for a bowel problem. This resulted in the Met Office issuing air pollution warnings for wherever I went. There are very good reasons why I have nicknamed this substance The Devils Poo...! But, what the heck, give it a go. Just open your windows first ok?

Cristine, I'll pass on the knicker method if you don't mind...

Best wishes
    Rae