Being attacked

• August 3, 2006 7:33 AM BST
    Last sunday I learned what it feels to be attacked by a man. I passed a group of drunk guys sitting on a bench in a metro station and got yelles like "Hey lady, join us". I sat down on a bench further away, but one of the guys came after me and tried to get close. I said please leave, I´m not interested, but he grap on me and then I kicked him at his scrotch. He was so surprised that a woman fights back that he left me alone...but threw my at the kick fallen off sandal down on the subway rails. I got furious and yelled "You better get it back". Then we got already the station security men there and pretty soon the police. They wanted to see our documents, I gave my passport, everything okay. The drunk guy had no documents. The police said the case is closed, this lady only protected herself. The security man collected my sandal from the rails. The police sent the guy away from the station but wished me happy journey.

Laura
  • August 3, 2006 8:31 AM BST
    Well done for standing up to them and having the courage to defend yourself Laura.

Also goes to prove that being able to prove who you are is invaluable and that a sober person can beat a drunk everytime.

Just a shame you had to be put into the situation in the first place but well done for coming out the other side the same way you went in.

love

Alex
    xxxx
    • 588 posts
    August 3, 2006 12:08 PM BST
    How terrible you should have to experience a thing like that, Laura. I became seriously worried when i saw the title here. But the way you handled it... Sure shows how all important self confidence can be. A good thing there with being tall too i guess... xxxxxx
    • 30 posts
    August 3, 2006 4:47 PM BST
    You were so lucky, Laura, to come out of it ok... I myself got attacked once, when buying a newspaper from a rack by a train station at night. The attacker ran at me from behind and knocked me down by punching me in the face. He fled when he saw that I held onto my purse, but I wound up with a black eye and broken nose that did not heal for weeks.
    I was embarrassed when I had to show my drab id to the police, but I was very glad I had it.
    My advice, girls, is to NEVER be alone in a seemingly deserted place. Always make sure there are witnesses around. Remember, a criminal is only afraid of getting caught, so make it hard for him to get away if he does try anything. Company is the best protection.

Good job protecting yourself!
    Karin
  • August 4, 2006 9:17 AM BST
    One very happy thing is that I have a woman´s passport with no clue to my past. And I am Laura, what else can I do than be myself and defend myself if needed.
    I don´t know if the police noticed that the self defending lady is 60 years old, hehe... The attacker was about 20 years younger than me.

Laura
    • 8 posts
    November 21, 2006 6:41 PM GMT
    Im really glad it was not worse too, I've been attacked by men many times in the past verbaly and physicaly becuse I am someone who is currently viewed as not a girl or a boy. Or that's the only way I can explain it, my life now revolves around my girl friends and has very few men in it. I like it this way and untill I meet that 1 in a million guy I just don't trust them any more. I am not wanting to put down men but I have not met any that can be mature and resposible, so in general I keep my distance. Any woman who worries about this should carry pepperspray. "Girls Rock"
    • 448 posts
    November 26, 2006 8:23 PM GMT
    Hi Laura, just to say that I can both empathise and sympathise with what happened too you. I was attacked by someone I knew and had just attended a party with. He punched me in the back of the head and when I turned around head-butted me. I was barely conscious after that and staggered for a bit until I fell to the ground where he continued to kick and punch me repeatedly in the face. Coward that he was he gave me no opportunity to fight back, which I would have done. I was quite badly beaten up. What I hated most of all wasn't the pain but the indignity of it all. I felt embarrassed. I didn't inform the police, nor did I go to hospital. I should have done both. What happened three years ago haunts me more now than it did at the time. And I can't lie and say it hasn't effected me. I'm glad you fought back, you can be proud of that darling. I only wish I had had the same opportunity.
    • 2463 posts
    August 3, 2006 12:36 PM BST
    Although I did not go through anything like that on the Red Line, but I do know how scary it can be. I hope you're okay.