Your name

Tags : None
  • I had been Helen for years, as a result a party invite, there was no Helen in our group and we weren't going to get in without one so I said it was me, with a coy smile and in we went, it stuck for years but when I came to join the site I wanted something else and actually decided to avoid names of close friends and ex girlfriends, I wanted something more personal, more me and I thought long and hard, searched name lists and books, and then realised I'd known it all along. Mum and Dad had told me years ago that me and my brother would have been named Tara Bernadette or Nicola Bernadette if we had been girls, I have an estranged cousin by the name of Nicola and my wife wasn't so sure, so Tara Bernadette I became, and I have found it to be incredibly liberating to have a name for this part of me that I can claim as my own. I haven't really thought about a surname yet, but I guess I'd go back to my dad's mum's maiden name of Cavanagh to keep the Irish theme going.

Dad never did explain who Bernadette was, lol

Tara
    Love and Light
      October 12, 2010 9:48 AM BST
  • What a great question. I have only just chosen a name to stick with having run with variants of Samantha and Alison over the years.

The first person I told who knew the male me didn't think Sam or Sammy suited so I asked her to chose me a name. She came up with Chrissy short for Christina as it was similar to one of my male names but not one that anyone knows me by. It does help as I have that initial on my credit card now too.

Rowe was my great grandmothers surname and apparently she had the same colour hair as me when I was little. Until I was about 8 I had bright red hair which has now become a golden mix of dark and light blonde which my hairdresser won't let me colour as she says people would pay £100s to get the same colours.

Now having read these posts perhaps I need to chose a middle name too!

Hugs C x
      November 16, 2010 7:07 AM GMT
  • I've chosen my name because it was the same of one of my first love when i was young...not so awesome but true. By the way, she has never known about it...i wanted to become her but never had the strength and the will to do it before... Now, it's different.
    Thank you, i love you all, sis.
      November 16, 2010 5:53 PM GMT
  • For me I just played on my male name and chose Jamie and Lynn sounded good for a middle name and I took my middle name Edward and added an s for my last name Edwards so nothing special but it fits me.xxxxJamie
      November 16, 2010 11:47 PM GMT
  • I've taken a long time to settle on something I really like. I've been through all kinds of phases with names as I've grown with who I am and looking back some of them have been great fun but are not really appropriate for who and where I am now.

I've finally come up with this name because it has special meaning to me. Lucy was a very special person in my life when I was much younger and was the first person I told about my wanting to be a woman - she was incredibly supprortive of me and I owe her so much and never got to say thank you properly so this is kind of my way of doing that.

The second bit, well that's part of my male name which can either be a first name or surname and I felt I needed a link to that part of my life too.

Lucy x
      November 25, 2010 9:37 AM GMT
  • I'm really not sure why I picked my first name; probably nothing more profound than I simply liked the sound of it.
      January 19, 2011 2:45 AM GMT
  • After many years where I didn't have a specific name I chose the name of an old girlfriend, because she was very feminine, and I think the pictures of Alice in Wonderland are the kind of girlie girl I want to be.

I chose the surname of Miles because being Alice is miles better than not being Alice (and it is an anagram of SMILE). (Its also an anagram of limes and slime but we wont go into that). 

I think having a name is important, because it helps you to identify with your persona. I dont think choosing an exotic name makes any differnece though. You can be as girlie with a modern name like Caitlin or Tamsin as you can with Joan or Alice.

<p>Alice</p> <p>"You can be whoever you are in Shangri-la" - Neil Innes </p>
      May 31, 2011 8:25 AM BST
  • I started off as 'Tina' and then lengthened it to 'Christina'. When my wife found out and I told her 'all about it' last year including the name I used, she said she would prefer I used a different name.... so over the next few days we thought of names.

My only requirement was that it should be a name that can be shortened, ie Jennifer/Jenny or Deborah/Debbie. She liked Stephanie/Steph which I wasn't really fussed on and I came up with Penelope/Penny which we both liked! I think it suits me.

I chose 'Diamond' for two reasons. One was that my wife was a 'diamond' or 'star' for accepting my dressing, but also I wanted a surname to do with my birthstone. That didn't work out though as my birthstone is Aquamarine .... and Penelope Aquamarina sounded too 'Thunderbirds'!!

This post was edited by Former Member at June 3, 2011 9:50 AM BST
      June 3, 2011 9:42 AM BST
  • The short version of my first name is pretty androgynous, so I can usually just go with that. Otherwise I just go by my nickname I've had since I was about 2 which ironically is "T". When I feel like having a little extra fun though I like to go by Porsche (after the car). My full lady name that I've coined is Chris T Porsche.

June 8, 2011 12:06 AM BST
  • For me it was more or less the same as for many others. I tried to use Erica because it was close to my male name but it didn't feel right. I thought of trying to find a name that started with a D in order to keep my initials the same; I didn't like any of them. I then talked to my mom when I told her who I realy was. During the conversation I asked her what the girls name was she had picked out for me. I was born in the seventies and aparently they weren't sure about the ultra-sound results back then. She told me it was Megan. It sounds very right and felt right. When I told my wife she agreed it sounded perfect.

I have decided to keep my sur name. Even though I have issues wih my father I still have a strong connection to the rest of my family so I don't feel a need to change it.

My middle name is Lane which can go either way so I've decided to keep that as well. Plus it honors a family tradition of keeping the same initial for the middle name as one of the parents.

Kelly as far as passing I do feel that having a name picked out helps. However as mentioned before in this thread it's not the only thing. I have done a lot of acting and other work with theatre and I have came to the conclusion that passing as something in common with being a great actor/actress. As a dear friend of mine who is a director and teacher is fond of saying:

You must own the role you are playing. Make the words and actions your own and a part of you. If you don't become the character then the audiance will never believe you.

Now for many of us that is not a problem because we are truly woman on the inside and the male persona was the character. So Kelly I think the main thing that you need to pass is confidence in yourself.  

June 9, 2011 6:00 PM BST
  • Hi,

Well I was lucky, Shirley is my given middle name.   So for me it was easy and I have grown to ove it.

Shirley

July 2, 2011 3:31 PM BST
  • I chose the name Samantha (I'm Sammi for short) just because I liked the name.

I didn't go with the feminised version of my male name as that's my mum's name and I thought that would unduly upset her.

Just last year I found out that if I had been born female I would have been given that name!

Talk about co-incidence!

<p><span style="color: #ff00ff;"><strong><em>Being a girl is a full time job... Hugs n' stuff Sammi xXx</em></strong></span></p> <p>&nbsp;</p>
    This post was edited by Sammi Gray at August 26, 2011 1:29 PM BST
      August 26, 2011 1:28 PM BST
  • I think if you are a TS, having a name commensurate with your age is important, I mean like, if you're over 50 it is a bit of a give away if you choose an ultra modern name.  Probably not so important if you are TV/CD and don't intend making any sort of transition.

My name is rather an emotional one for me (and my mum) as I chose Carol - firstly because it fits the above criteria

secondly because I like it (and had always liked it)

and finally (and maybe subconciously the most important) was my mother's first born child was a baby girl who, very sadly, was still born - but my mum intended to call her Carol.  So it was in honour of my big sister who I never had the fortune to meet.

This post was edited by Former Member at January 9, 2012 10:21 AM GMT
      September 29, 2011 7:56 PM BST
  • The name I chose is actually my "guy" name spelled phoenetically ... as it would be pronounced in certain parts of Northern Scotland.

Aye, and where's me Troosers!

<p>Doanna Highland</p>
      September 30, 2011 10:15 AM BST
  • for me, picking my femme name came from my manicurist. she was so sweet and made me feel at ease when i had my nails done. her name was simone and I picked her name for me when im en femme.

October 1, 2011 4:19 AM BST
  • Once when I was still a child, I had a moment of clarity where I realized I should have been born a girl. How I made my choice is beyond me. I just knew my name was supposed to be Karen Lyn and I've never wavered from that.
      January 1, 2012 5:16 PM GMT
  • By asking my lovely Mum what she would have called me if I'd been a real girl.
      January 2, 2012 9:44 AM GMT
  • I tried asking my mother but she'd never picked a girls name. I'm not sure I would have changed my name at that point anyway.
      January 7, 2012 8:30 PM GMT
  • I have no idea why I picked Carla, I like the way it sounds tho. My last name is really similar to my given middle name.
    You never know until you try.................and I am trying.
      January 12, 2012 1:07 AM GMT
  • I must be one of a very few crossdressers who do not feel the need to have a female name.

People ask me, 'so what do you call yourself when you're dressed up?' I say, nothing. It never enters my head!
      February 14, 2012 11:28 AM GMT
  • when i was young i rad theMabinogion (welsh mythology). i liked the name rhiannon. when i started dressing, i shortened it to rhiann.
      March 29, 2012 1:57 AM BST
  • I chose Emma because MA are the first two letters of my male name - well it kind of works :-) Middle name Louise because I've always liked the name and knew a Louise who was hot and had great dress sense.
      August 4, 2012 7:12 PM BST
  • Sara Lynn Baker said:
    I to got my name from my mother .....she nad a list of names she was going to call me if i was to be born male of female .... i don't think she expected to use them both.. oh well
    My middle name came from Beverly out of love and respect for her.

But no matter how you get your name as long as it feels right it is good for you

Sara, that's exactly what happened to me, she told me what she would have named me had I been born in the tirght body, and my middle name is her middle name.  I chose 'West' but she recently told me that if she had married the guy that asked her first, our last name would have been 'West'!!

April 10, 2013 4:20 AM BST
  • for me it was real easy. I asked my mom if she had a girl what would she call it ,she said Michelle,Rose, , so that was that .
      April 12, 2013 6:57 PM BST
  • my first name came about 27 years ago as i was reading a book called "clan of the cave bear@ by Jean M Auel. the main character is called Ayla, which i thought was a very beautiful name.  my email is in the name of ayla, and ive used it ever since, and always will ( im a sentimental girl hehe) .

bear in mind my name was never an issue, as no one else ever knew about her, until about a year ago.

now i have a few friends who know about her, but only one of them has met her. hes an awsum guy, ver yopen minded and supportive, we've been away a few times and ive gone totally as her....

any way, the topic came up very shortly after i told him, about names, and i explained how it had not been something id thought about much as i have never told any one. Straight away he told me i was definately a stephenie, and it was like something clicked, because i felt very at ease with it. so to the people who know me now, i am Stephie. i hope one day, Kate will get to meet the real me, but cant push it on her, when shes ready, but in knowing the other me, she does say that Stephenie does suit me, and my character, and personallity.

May 29, 2013 11:04 PM BST