Interesting

• 1195 posts
    September 7, 2006 5:58 PM BST
    I'm not certain if this is the right thread but here goes....
    I live in central Texas and there appears to be a plethera of churches. I've always wondered how the communities can support so many churches....recently there was an article in the paper about a small community(population) which is trying to figure out how to discourage new churches from moving in. Since church property is tax free, this town can't provide all of the services larger communities have. The residents of the town don't want their property tax raised and many are moving away for fear of having to pay more taxes...
    'tis a mess. Should a community have the right to restrict church property?
    • 1083 posts
    November 7, 2006 4:34 PM GMT
    Mary Grace--

Yes...and no.

A community has to be reasonable in its approach to this kind of thing. On one hand, these churches do get police protection, community services, and so forth. If a communuity is losing its tax base because people are moving away, thus lowering an already low revenue, then they may have to ask--instead of a tax, which is onerous--a fee for public services. Could be a $120/year thing, or something reasonable...say, $20/month per 100 on the rolls.

On the other hand, churches are (usually) tax free because they often offer public services (such as feeding the needy, counselling, etc.) that the city simply cannot. Even a small fee can get out of hand.

As you said, "...tis a mess."

Luv 'n hugs,

Dr. Mina Sakura