Back on the shots

• 1083 posts
    November 7, 2006 3:01 PM GMT
    Lucy--

The issue with liver and kidney function has more to do with my seizure meds than estrogens--I've been on various seizure meds since roughly 1977 or so. All the doc wanted was a "clean" baseline for those meds, and that's why he (unwisely) yanked me off estrogen.

Still--I'm not wild about going back on Premarin; in addition to tolarance issues, there's the treatment of the animals used to produce it. While I am not a "rabid" animal-rights person, I find the methods used to create premarin are somewhat unkind to the animal.

Luv 'n hugs,

Mina
    • 515 posts
    November 2, 2006 12:59 AM GMT
    I feel so much better now that I am finally back on my controlled hormone regimen with weekly inter-muscular shots with all natural Estrogens and Progesterone. This to me is always better than synthesized drugs by a long way. It also requires much less input from me in remembering to stop and take my pills at intervals during the day which to me is worth the little discomfort of the needle once a week.

My shot now comprises of the three natural estrogens; Estriol, Estraddiol, Estrone, Progesterone suspended in sesame oil. (Oh well perhaps I need lubricating at the same time). Oh well I just wanted to share it may be worth talking to you endo or obgyn about worth a thought.
    Love ya all
    Sara
    • 1083 posts
    November 6, 2006 7:59 PM GMT
    Sara Lynn--

I'm glad to hear you're back on your regimen. Having had to go off mine for a time, then restarting it, I can share your feelings, dear.

I'm on 2.5mg Estrogel, 1.25mg Premarin (temporarily, to boost back the depleted levels from when I was off them--doc's orders!) and Progynova (2mg, also temporary--the doc does not feel that an Estriodol will work as well for me as a conjugated estrogen will) a day. I have about two weeks left on the Progynova as of this writing.

Which means right now I'm flying like a kite on some 4.75mg/day of various estrogens. Eventually, he'll pull me back to around 3mg/day or so. Depends on how well my system can handle things (which is why I got yanked from them in the first place).

On the other hand, I haven't felt so feminine in quite a while...

Luv 'n congratulatory hugs,

Mina Sakura
    • 1083 posts
    November 7, 2006 4:15 AM GMT
    I told you all I stink at math!

1.5 mg estrogel is correct. (It's the conversion from gel to actual estrogen that throws me, honey.)

Yes--it has to do with liver/kidney function, and cost to me. Since I do not have medical insurance, I have to get my hormones where I can afford them. In theory, I would actually use 5 mg/day of estrogel...but the cost gets to be a bit steep. So we are trying for now a mix.

Eventually, I suspect I'll just be on estrogel; I seem to tolerate it far better. We are hoping to even things out at about 3.75 mg/day, once I have built up some hormones back into my system. The doc seemed to feel that taking me off them was a bad thing to do.

Luv 'n hugs,

Mina
    • 515 posts
    November 13, 2006 3:14 AM GMT
    Lucy, Minako.
    My OB-YGN and Marcie had a chat about the mixing of my hormones and so far they seem to be doing wonders for me. No real highs and no tappering off at that end of the week I seem be amazingly constant. It is the most normal and happy i have been in many many years in myself. I know the injections are not for every one but they are doing the trick for me. So life is good. Monday i will have my E2, LFT done again but the shots will considerably lower my liver risk. The only thing i need to do now is stop smoking and ever thing will be good ............ New years resolution will be to kick the habit ...........wish me luck
    Love Sara
    • 1083 posts
    November 13, 2006 3:23 PM GMT
    Sara--

As a vocalist (as a hobby, as well as a vocal student for two years), anyone who wants to quit smoking has my prayers and well wishes.

But why wait until New Year's? Better to start tapering off now, and have quit by then....

Luv 'n hugs,

Mina
    • 515 posts
    December 13, 2006 10:18 AM GMT
    Still trying to quit ...........
    My hormones are doing wonderful things ............i am the calmist i have every been, i just feel wonderful all round.

Take care n love ya
    Sara
    • 1652 posts
    November 6, 2006 10:52 PM GMT
    Minako darling, your posts are informative, creative and witty, but your maths is terrible!
    Only joking really, but I’d make that 5.75mg in total. I think Estrogel is the same as Oestrogel, the English version (which I use), this comes out of a pump dispenser in .75mg measured doses, so you’d have to be very clever to get 3 and a third squirts out of it per day…
    Perhaps you meant to say 1.5mg Estrogel (2 squirts), in which case 4.75mg would be the correct combined amount of estrogen.
    Sorry about my pedantry, but you know…
    Sounds like quite an usual combination actually, 17-Beta, valerate and Premarin all at the same time, is there any reason you’ve not been given a higher dose of just one type of estrogen?
    xx
    • 1652 posts
    November 7, 2006 1:48 PM GMT
    Yes the gel does work out to be a bit more expensive. Like you Mina, I seem to tolerate it well, it’s easy to use and I’m sure it’s made a difference since I added it to my oral only regime. It’s also considerably less strain on the liver so I think it’s very wise for you to aim to be on that alone eventually.
    I wouldn’t claim to know more than your doctor, but if liver and kidney function is an issue I would question the use of Premarin, though I’m glad to see it’s only temporary.
    A lot of people assume taking estrogen is a very dangerous thing to do, a misconception based on old tests when Premarin was the only estrogen available on prescription. These tests do not apply to other forms of estrogen; 17-Beta estradiol, estradiol valerate and estradiol hemihydrate do not carry anywhere near the same risks as Premarin with regard to blood-clotting, liver toxicity etc.
    I take 4mg oral estradiol hemihydrate and 3mg Oestrogel (4 squirts) per day.
    I have never felt better!
    xx