Election November 2006 (Oregon) Comments

• 1083 posts
    November 8, 2006 5:57 PM GMT
    Instead of starting a new thread, I was going to simply piggyback my comments on Oregon's election in the California election section and be done with it. But then I decided to start a new thread anyway.

Please be aware that these are just my opinions.

All Oregon races, measures, etc.--too much mudslinging, fearmongering, etc. It got old quickly, and with the Republicans leading the mudslinging, it didn't take warp engine technology to predict the results of this somewhat liberal state.

Specifics:

Governor: Ted Kulongoski came down into his reception area to the sounds of The Rolling Stones "Start Me Up." That should be a clue--he'd better start something up. He has been strangely quiet the last few years. He needs to get active.

Oregon 4th Congressional District: Peter DeFazio. A good man, who's been good for Oregon. I'm glad to see him re-elected, though he will have to continue his hard work...he only won by a nearly 2-1 margin (63% to 36%).

Measure 42 (Restricts insurance companies from using credit scores to set rates) failed. I fail to see how my credit score determines my insurability....

Measure 43 (Parental Notification before an abortion, ages 15-17) failed. Sad in a way--that parents need to sign a permisson form for aspirin, but don't need to be told about a major surgical procedure, that if it fails, they'll have to pick up both the tab and the pieces.

Measure 44 (Expansion of Oregon Precription Drug Program) passed. With no real oppposition. Even the detractors--what few there were--had trouble finding fault with the measure.

Now...what cost the Republican Party nationally? Not the war in Iraq, or high gas prices (though those did not help matters). In my opinion, what cost them was their own hubris--that sense of "My way or the highway" that has been so prevalent over the last 4 years, and in the Oval Office for 6 years. I'd also say we are tired of all the fearmongering.

In short, Americans are sick to death of hearing about terrorists behind every Bush.

Luv 'n hugs,

Mina Sakura
    "Almost-Angel, T-Girl Genius, and Ultra-Flirt"
    • 1083 posts
    November 8, 2006 7:04 PM GMT
    Frances--

There's enough fertilizer been spread around that Bush will survive his last two years...but be remarkably inefficient.

Mina
    • 1195 posts
    November 8, 2006 8:33 PM GMT
    Let's leave junior out of it at present. Unfortunately, the rest of the world doesn't understand that we didn't elect him...the party did and in this country the party with the most money,lately, wins.
    As for this election 2006, I'm dumbfounded...how can people ignore corruption, abuse of power, scandal from these people who have declared they out to serve themselves and all others be damned. Here in TX they reelected the idiots.
    That's enough said....I'm trying to control my blood pressure.
    I'm still thinking of migrating.....how cold does it get in Ireland?
    • 1083 posts
    November 8, 2006 9:17 PM GMT
    Mary Grace--

**giggles**

There's idiots there too, I'm afraid. No shortage of idiots wherever ones goes, I'm sorry to say. I have been to Ireland, and would move there willingly, however. Killarney is quite lovely, and most of the people are friendly.

You can always move here to Oregon--we'd be glad to have you!

Luv 'n hugs,

Mina
    • 140 posts
    November 8, 2006 10:45 PM GMT
    Hi girls: Just had to add my little idea here. If we are to talk about corruption, abuse of power etc, we cannot forget the Democrats too. "Bill Clinton" well, enough said. Newt, and the rest. ALL of them are crooks! Both Parties lie to us. Evident in all the nasty ads against each other prior to election. It is THOSE people and their Partisanism attitude that keep the Democrats and Republicans out HERE,
    US, the real americans, from ever getting together and working things out between each party. Shakespeare said, First, kill all the lawyers!" and since most of them ARE lawyers, there is the problem!!
    • 1195 posts
    November 13, 2006 3:51 PM GMT
    Jackie....you're right both parties have crooks. The whole system need redoing. There is too much money flooting around...power corrupts and it seems to go hand in hand with greed. In this country we need a Constitutional Convention...it's been proposed many times but has been ignored. As an example: our methods of electing are archaic..Pres. Carter, who's organization oversees elections, said he would never approve of the system used in the USA.
    Soooo what do we do now?
    • 1083 posts
    November 13, 2006 4:06 PM GMT
    **Evil, maniaical laughter**

Why, Mary Grace! I surprised you haven't already figured this out--we simply have to replace all these crooks with trannies!

Think about it...we know we all have secrets; we all want to fix things (usually our hair and nails), and if our secret's "exposed"...all that does is throw us out of the closet (which, for a few of us, would not be a surprise and in fact a relief.) In short--we'd be the most honest (as well as the best-dressed) public servants going.

We'd fix the laws that work against us first, then get after tweaking the things that aren't quite right.

What do you think?

Mina