Bio-Identical Hormones?

• 10 posts
    November 13, 2006 12:22 AM GMT
    Does anyone know anything more about these and heart health safety?.....I had an unfortunate problem when on HRT before and always consider going back on but after my close call last time I always decide against it..Does anyone know if these type of hormones are safer heart wise?
    • 1083 posts
    November 13, 2006 3:52 PM GMT
    "Bio-identical"--They are derived from a Natural source soybean or yam and are "BIO-IDENTICAL" to your ovarian Hormones-- thus, the name "BIO-IDENTICAL" Natural Hormones (BNHs). (Taken from http://www.theapothecaryshop.com/bioidentical.html#whatare)

Sooooo...you ask me, it's what we used to call phyto-estrogens. Which essentially are worthless, unless you take them in ridiculous doses and even then not really going to replace actual prescription estrogen. They usually do not have the dosage levels in a form that will be of a benefit unless you have estogens to start with. (And, from what I can tell, the jury's still out on that as well.)

Lucy is correct--if you’ve had heart problems (or even if you haven't) you need to be under the supervision of a good doctor if taking any hormones, "Bio-identical" or not.

Luv 'n hugs,

Dr. Mina Sakura
    • 1652 posts
    November 13, 2006 12:50 AM GMT
    Possibly, but if you’ve had heart problems you need to be under the supervision of a good doctor if taking any hormones.
    What exactly were you on before?
    xx
    • 1652 posts
    November 14, 2006 1:14 AM GMT
    There is a difference between bio-identical hormones and phyto-estrogens, or at least there is supposed to be; I’m not sure if some companies out there are wrongly referring to their phyto-estrogens as bio-identical hormones (which are only available on prescription in this country).
    17-Beta estradiol is a true bio-identical hormone, it has a good safety record and is generally considered an effective means of feminisation. It’s found in Estrace tablets and Estrogel, among others.
    Rather surprisingly it IS derived from plants (soy I think), but it is modified in the lab so its molecular structure becomes identical to 17-Beta estradiol created in the body, hence it is given the same name. This is the big difference between real bio-identicals and phyto-estrogens which are not modified in this way, and are basically just extract of soy, or yam, or black cohosh, or liquorice or red clover or goodness knows what…
    I agree with Mina that phyto-estrogens are basically useless for significant feminisation.
    Micronised progesterone (Prometrium, Microgest etc) is bio-identical, medroxyprogesterone acetate (Provera) is not. Again, the bio-identical version is generally thought to be safer, and without the reputation for side effects such as mood swings/depression. Saw palmetto I think is the “herbal version” of progesterone.
    In short, don’t waste your money on herbals, which might sound safe because of the name, but are toxic in large doses. If health concerns are an issue, going bio-identical may be the best option.
    I’d still like to know what Sara had been on previously.
    xx

http://www.lionrx.com/hormone.html