Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » Hormone City » Doctors and Hormones

Doctors and Hormones

Tags : None
  • I've just changed Doctor's because I've moved and I want to make sure I get a female Doctor. I want to talk to the Doctor about going on Hormones.

I have had some heart problems for which I still take beta blockers. My blood pressure is OK now, had it checked last month.

Any advice on what I should ask the Doctor about might be useful? In the UK Doctors refer people to Primary Care Center to speak to therapists.

From reading other posts it seems it would be about 3 months before Doctor would prescribe Hormones.

Kim
      November 21, 2006 12:56 AM GMT
    3 1652 3‚ 0
    I think it can vary sometimes depending on where you live, but usually the GP will refer you to a local psychiatrist who will then, hopefully, refer you to a gender clinic such as Charing Cross. It’s their job to determine whether it is appropriate, mentally and physically, for you to be prescribed hormones. Normally you won’t get the go ahead until you’ve seen 2 of their psychiatrists, and of course only if they both agree. Since you will have to wait for appointments with both your local psychiatrist and then the gender clinic, and then wait at least 3 months between appointments at the gender clinic, it does take some time before you will actually get a prescription.
    I looked at your profile Kim, it says “…experimenting with cross-dressing”. I think it’s safe to say that Charing Cross would not be eager to prescribe hormones to someone saying things like that!
    Why do you want them?
    xx
      November 21, 2006 12:24 PM GMT
  • I looked at your profile Kim, it says “…experimenting with cross-dressing”. I think it’s safe to say that Charing Cross would not be eager to prescribe hormones to someone saying things like that!
    Why do you want them?

You may be right I'm 50 now and I have been thinking about things for along time. Perhaps "experimenting" is the wrong word. Things have changed and I have now have more freedom to find out what I want to do.

What I thought is that I should talk to the Doctors and Psychiatrists and find out what they think. It may be too early or not the right time to take hormones. If the psychiatrists advice is not to take hormones, that's part of their job and I would listen.

I'm at a point where I thought I should ask the question? I considered it ten years ago and did nothing.

Kim
      November 21, 2006 12:56 PM GMT
  • Kim, hon--

Hormones are forever!

Before I went to ANY doctor, I'd think long and hard about this. Starting hormones is not to be undertaken lightly or on a whim. That you are thinking about seeing a doc and not self-medicating is good, and shows you've considered it.

But...as many of us will tell you, once you start, you'll be on them the rest of your life, unless a doc wants/needs to remove you for some reason. The physical changes are also permanent--I started in 2003, and now nearly fill a 40c bra. I can't go swimming in public (except at my gym) without a top on anymore. Even without a bra, my boobs are obvious.

There are other changes that will occur as well.

If you are not too sure about this, I'd take some time and really, REALLY think it through. If it's not right, then don't. You're no less the woman you are for it.

And if it is right for you--

**smiles warmly**

You'll know that it's right, and the changes will suit you. I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that it was the right choice for me.

If you'd like to read a little more, go here. Pay particular attention to December 15th.

Luv 'n hugs,
    Dr. Mina Sakura
    Living as the woman I am!
      November 21, 2006 3:57 PM GMT
  • Mina,

Thanks for the advice. I found your diary very interesting. You've been taking hormones for three years and have no plans for surgery? Have you reduced the dose to a maintenance level? What hormones are you taking now?

I was not really interested in SRS only hormones. When I took the Conati test I get Androgynes. I wanted to try living full time as a woman and would like to change my body to be more feminine with hormones not surgery.

I have health problems that may prevent taking hormones in any case and there are some personal things that I would only discuss with a Doctor.

It's not something that I haven't looked into deeply and thought about.

I already have man boobs I'm a 40b bra size...

Kim
      November 21, 2006 8:22 PM GMT
  • Kim--

I have no plans for SRS. While I never say never, right now I am content where I'm at--I spend most of my time living as a woman anyway. Since I consider myself a woman with spare parts, as opposed to a man "trapped" in a woman's body, I am okay with this arrangement for now.

Currently, I am on a rather odd program, due to having been off hormones for most of the summer. It seems like my doc is trying to pump me full of hormones again! Currently, I am on 1.875mg/day of Premarin, and on 2.5mg/day of Estrogel (which, if memory serves me, is equal to 1.5mg of 17 beta Estriodol) for a total of 3.375mg/day hormones. The Estrogel use will be going up in a month or so; the Premarin will continue until I run out--about mid to late December. Then it will be 7.5 mg/day of Estrogel, or about 4.5mg/day of estriodol until March, when I should finally get it down to a maintenance dosage. That will be determined by the doc at that time.

In theory, I should have been lowered to maintenance dosage in December, but stuff happens.

Mina Sakura
      November 21, 2006 10:09 PM GMT
  • Mina

I enjoyed reading your diary and have some questions:

Do herbs and drug hormones mix as I have continued to take evanesce tablets to avoid spiro etc ? I am currently
    using estraderm patches twice weekly.

Do you have any withdrawal symptoms when you go off hormones?

Are you taking any T blockers yet ?
    <p>ooxxoo</p>
      November 22, 2006 4:01 AM GMT
  • Joanne--

Hate to tell you, but from what I can tell herbal supplements actually interfere with HRT. That's why I stopped taking them before I started the Premarin. And even then, it took awhile for my system to process the last of the stuff, I am sure.

Going off hormones made me bitchy. (Okay, I can hear a few of you now: "Made" you bitchy? Stop that or you'll stay late after class to clean the chalkboard.) It also caused the Testo to essentially go through the roof, caused massive amounts of hair growth everywhere BUT my head, and created a sex drive that scared me silly. Getting back on them was a huge relief.

T-blockers? If you mean stuff like Spiro, no. I discussed this with a doc I had in the Midwest, and we decided that the risks were not worth any potential benefits. (If I were contemplating "The Operation", that might be different.)

Thanks for asking, hon--good questions!

Luv 'n hugs,

Mina
      November 22, 2006 7:28 AM GMT