Prostitution

• 1083 posts
    February 17, 2003 6:37 PM GMT
    Prostitution should be lagalized, but there needs to be some pretty strict standards.

Not the least of which is routine medical exams.

Of course, if the Government gets into the act, then the OSHA handbook would be at least 500 pages. :o

Then again...who wants to take a Page from a Senator?

Luv 'n hugs,

Jayne Sakura
    "Almost-Angel, T-Girl Genius, and Ultra-Flirt"
  • February 15, 2003 7:56 AM GMT
    Most of the prostitution in this area is controlled by drug dealers, they get the girls hooked on drugs, then force them to go on the streets.
    • 539 posts
    February 14, 2003 11:51 PM GMT
    Here is another issue that clearly marks me as a libertarian.

In the United States, prostitution is illegal in all but one state (Nevada).  Of course, the government cannot possibly stamp it out.  By allowing no legal outlet for this activity, the government simply drives it underground.  This results in the spread of disease and the victimization of women and children, and it puts a lot of money into the pockets of sleazy pimps who have no fashion sense!

In Nevada, prostitution is confined to legal brothels in small communities.  Prostitutes are licensed by the government, and they must be tested frequently for diseases.  Condom use is required.  There have been no reported cases of HIV transmission due to legal prostitution in Nevada since testing commenced in the 1980's.  While not perfect, the system in Nevada works reasonably well and provides a legal and safe outlet for sexually frustrated men to satisfy themselves.  The greatest problem that I see with Nevada's system is that it does not provide for legal prostitution in the larger cities.  Therefore, illegal street prostitution is a big problem in Las Vegas.  Certainly a small area in Las Vegas could be zoned for brothels and it would not destroy the community.

Prostitution should not be allowed to take place with no regulation, since in that form, it causes problems.  Certain places should be set aside where legal brothels could operate, and the government could regulate them.  Most of the problems related to this activity would evaporate immediately.

Heather H.
  • February 18, 2003 2:43 AM GMT
    Agreed.
  • February 15, 2003 1:01 AM GMT
    I agree.

Prostitution should be legal, but regulated. Regulating various industries (especially those with obvious public health concerns) is a legitimate function of government, unlike regulating morality.  I don't like prostitution, but there's nothing intrinsically criminal about it.