The Democratic nomination for President

• 448 posts
    January 21, 2007 7:16 PM GMT
    I heard today that Hilary Clinton has declared and put her hat in the ring. I understand that she is quite a divisive figure in America at least in the Republican dominated media. How divisive a figure she is to the American people it will be interesting to find out. This may prevent her from getting the nomination though she won her Senate seat in New York comfortably on both occassions despite all the money the Republicans spent opposing her. The other Democratic front runner is Barack Obama and the question this obviously poses is white middle America ready to elect a black man? He's a bit of a political superstar at the moment but then the negative campaigning has only just begun. Haven't they just suggested that he spent some of his childhood being educated in a Madrassa. I do remember, however, Jesse Jackson making quite a strong bid for the nomination before he made some crass remark about hymie-town. So my moneys going on John Edwards. I do remember predicting Bill Clinton would win when no one had really heard of him and he was deep in the mire. He just had that indefinable quality that makes you a winner. I see that quality in Edwards. Just hang in there for those few first primarys when it will be all about Clinton and Obama. Though I know it's all about finance at the end of the day. If any of my American friends want to tell me I have assessed it all wrong please feel free to do so, I know you will anyway, politics aside we're all sisters here.
    • 136 posts
    February 21, 2007 6:24 AM GMT
    Porscha,

Great minds think alike.
    I've thought much the same as you regarding Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama. I don't believe for a minute, that enough American men would feel comfortable with Hillary Clinton, just because she's a woman. And there are too many bigoted "good-ole-boys" and "bubba's" to elect a black man, regardless of how well he may do the job. There's even talk among many African-Americans, that Barack Obama is not "black-enough."

There may be other good alternatives, but I think that Edwards may be the Democrat's best choice, if they're serious about taking the White House from the Republicans.

In 2004, I really liked Howard Dean, I thought that he had a really good message, until he let go with that "Yeeeee-Haaaa!" I think that one moment of outrageous exuberance, may have cost him the nomination.

Time will tell...

Nicole
    • 448 posts
    February 21, 2007 9:15 PM GMT
    Hi, thanks for your interesting thoughts. I believe it may be the most intriguing Presidential race for some time. All the most favoured candidates for both parties appear flawed in some way. Hilary seems to loved and loathed in equal measure, is inextricably linked with old Clinton Administation, made a disastrous attempt to reform health insurance/welfare ( forgive me if that's incorrect but I cannot recall what it was called ) and unequivocally supported the war in Iraq. Barack Obama has no experience to speak of and, of course, one is a woman, the other black. For the Republicans, John McCain is old, not a bar in itself but it does make health a serious concern and his choice of any potential running mate will be very closely scrutinised. Rudi Guiliani has any number of issues to address from numerous failed marriages, serious health issues of his own and a a very definite pro-abortion stance. All this leaves the distinct possibility of a candidate who isn't the focus of all the attention coming through to snatch the nomination of not one but both parties and possibly even the Presidency itself. Who might that be? I too remember that Howard Dean moment, Nicol. Primal Dean, I think they called it. I watched it head in hands feeling so embarrassed for the guy. Sadly it left the field clear for the arrogant, lacklustre and slightly sinister John Kerry. Keli, you mention Bill Richardson which is interesting. I believe that despite what the name implies he would actually be the first Latino candidate in which case he would have a solid base of support. Reading American history I find it disturbing how the most democratic country in the world has had its politics dominated by so few families. In this century alone you have the the Roosevelts, the Kennedys, the Clintons and the Bushs. It's sad a nation which in so many respects should be loved and admired is so often villified and hated. I hope the new President whoever he may be will restore a reputation so besmirched and again permits the United States to live up to the high ideals it has set for itself. In the race for President as it currently stands we have a woman, a black man, a latino and a mormon. Fascinating, but still I think it will be won by a middle aged family man with oodles of charm, a way with people and a greater religious orthodoxy. Sadly, as an afterthought - we can always find the money for war. Thanks girls for contributing, I think it's an interesting subject, keep me posted. Love, Porscha x