Heels

• 1912 posts
    July 17, 2008 8:23 PM BST
    If the ball of your foot is hurting then the shoe is the wrong size. The arch of a shoe positions the foot in any given style. Likely what is happening is the shoe is two narrow so your foot is balancing on the ball versus the arch. Women's shoes typically run narrower and you mentioned large ankles. Definitely try the wider size shoes. The longer length you mention is because you are trying to compensate length for width. Just like clothes, different manufacturers seem to fit differently so it is usually best to try them on before purchasing. Boots? Heck I don't own a single pair, where do you wear them to? I'm 49 yrs old and don't see many women my age wearing anything like that. I'm not a fashion model, I'm just the average gal walking down the mall, lol.
    Best wishes,
    Marsha
    • 1 posts
    March 21, 2007 7:50 AM GMT
    Ok, I have a question about heels. I reallly want to wear like 4 inch or higher, but I know I have to start lower. I was hoping to get some advice on where to start for heels. I've got excellent eye-hand coordination and a stable gliding walk, so balance really isn't my main concern.
    • 374 posts
    March 26, 2007 12:41 PM BST
    Hi Jessy,

From what you're saying it sounds like you wont have much trouble wearing the higher heels. Sometimes it's not the height of the heel that makes a difference but rather the angle of the shoe and the thickness of the heel. I've heard girls talk about having problems walking in 3" heels and then being fine with a pair of 5" heels. You'll probably have to try several pairs before you find something you like. I have 3 1/2", 5" and 6" heels and have to say the 3 1/2" are the easiest for me to walk in. They just aren't as sexy as the higher heels

The other thing that's going to make a difference is the type of shoe you buy. Obviously a pair of pumps will have more support than a pair of strappy sandals. So a few things to keep in mind Jessy. In the meantime, have fun trying on all those sexy heels!

Hugs & kisses,

Monika
    • 15 posts
    November 26, 2007 7:11 PM GMT
    Not sure if it will work, but Payless Shoes has sizes up to women's 13. And if discretion is in order, you can order online and they will deliver the order to one of their local stores with no shipping charge. You just pick up the box when you get an email that it's in.

• January 14, 2008 8:32 PM GMT
    Jessi I agree with most of the girls here start where yuo are confterable if you want to start off in 5" heels go for it, but if you want to statr off and stay with 4" heels go for it to just start where you are confy. For you Kyra try some on line stors there are som places that advertise on here that have larger sizes in hells, also you might try some of the adult stores some of the do offer heels in your size, but be shure to go there as your female persona otherwise they won't let you try them on.
  • July 17, 2008 7:54 PM BST
    Might I chime in here ladies about shoes and high heels? especially in regards to shoe sizes and even heel heights? I myself have a a beautiful pair of black patent leather platform pumps with a 2 inch platform and 5 inch thick chunky heels. I love them but I find it difficult to wear and walk in for any length of time. I usually have trouble with the balls of my feet hurting and cramping in my calves. I don't know how to get myself used to wearing them? I haven't worn heels all my life either so I feel like a little girl learning to walk in heels for the first time. I did wear them long ago and I had no trouble at all in them and looked natural in them but now it is like a nightmare for me in them. I also have trouble finding shoes to fit me in my size and shoes sizes for me are very confusing. I have measured my foot at shoe stores and the measure scale says I am a mens size 8 1/2 and and a size 10 in womens but when I try on shoes in those sizes nothing fits ever. What is wrong with this picture and with my feet. My pumps that I have talked about are a size 12 womens and they are narrow or maybe my feet are too wide I don't know. Here's another problem I have I can't find properly fitting boots you know the knee length ones.
    As my calves are very wide and so are my ankles. I bought a pair last December in my size but I couldn't zip them up or get them over my ankles and I had to take them back. I am speaking of fashionable heeled boots too by the way. the kind every woman has to wear with skirts and stuff. I only seem to find shoes that fit in fetish shops for my feet. How do I find the right size every time? Might I add that I am a very plus sized trans woman. I am 5 ft 9 inches tall and weigh nearly 300 lbs. Yes I am over weight I know but I think it is due to taking meds for depression you know the side effects.

Love to you all my sisters. Here's hoping to have all of you as friends and sisters on my buddy list.

Sincerely

Wynonna Rose
    • 38 posts
    February 2, 2009 3:59 AM GMT
    Here in Canada boots are essential in the winter, ideally with good treads on them.

The sidewalks and roads here in the Ottawa area can get quite slippery.

CJ
  • November 7, 2009 9:14 AM GMT
    Marsha the funny thing about that is I found that out the hard way when I tried on a pair of heels at about 3 inches which was a size six but forgetting that I was a size 10 and honey, did my feet hurt. I had what looks to be two bruisers one on each foot where the second toes being next to the big ones but its getting better now since I was wearing 2 inch high heel sandals. I am also trying to learn how to walk in heels that are 4 to 6 inches high since I seem to be having a little trouble trying to balance my self in some of them.

Ashley
    • 1912 posts
    November 8, 2009 2:54 AM GMT
    Walking in heels is more about feel than sight. I can see how gals may want to look down and see how everything looks but that is just going to confuse your brain, sort of like looking in the mirror to fasten a necklace. The brain can't add that 3 or 4 inches to where it expects your heel to be. You need to just look forward and just "feel" what your feet are doing. But most important is the fit of the shoe, so take the time to get a properly fitted shoe.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 157 posts
    November 9, 2009 1:04 AM GMT
    I agree a good fitting shoe is the key to a comfortable walk. One thing I haven't seen mentioned that I have noticed is that my hips, thighs, and calves become sore after walking in heels after a few hours. The change of alignment and posture makes me use the leg muscles in a different way and they protest. I know if I could wear heels more consistently the aches would disappear but unfortunately, I am limited in that aspect.

Jeri
  • November 9, 2009 8:19 AM GMT
    Masha thanks for the advice because now that you mention it that seems to be my problem since I do at time try to look at my feet while walking and your right it does confuse the my brain. Although I do walk in my high heel sandals better since I can walk properly in them and seem to be getting use to move in them but I still have way to go. Otherwise thanks for the advice sweatie I really appriciate it and I will find a heel that is my size.

'kisses'

Ashley
    • 1912 posts
    November 9, 2009 1:07 PM GMT
    I know from personal experience that I start aching in odd places when I have hurt a leg or foot. What you end up doing is subconsciously favoring that injured area. The end result is using muscles or joints in a different way than your normal routine and just as Jeri said, resulting in aches and pains. So shoes that happen to be too tight on one foot but fit the other well, will likely lead to a painful awkward gait. Also women don't sway back and forth, left to right, they twist, giving the illusion of swaying. This all relates to heels because of your balancing point. Rocking back and forth moves the balancing point away from the ball of your feet so you end up tensing muscles to "catch" yourself. Obviously you don't have to do this in your normal shoes and stride.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
  • January 30, 2010 7:28 AM GMT
    I found that for me a three inch heel is ok and no problem, but then again I have feet almost 11 1/2 inches long. SO a 3 inch heel is almost flat footed lol.
    4 inches should not pose a problem if you have long feet. I found over time that the best highest hieght for shoes is to measure from where your foot touches the ground when you raise your heel off of the floor, and measure to the end of the heel. That distance would be your max in my opinion.:)
    About half that would be ok for a longish walk.

Hope that helps

Stephenie
  • March 21, 2007 6:55 PM GMT
    Jessy

You don't have to start lower. I started with 4 inch heels and I've never looked back. They take a little getting used to but you'll soon be walking in them very naturally.
    • 2627 posts
    July 10, 2007 2:44 AM BST
    No your not out in the cold. Amazon & ebay both have large sizes.
    Just do some web surfing & you can find them.
    You can also find how to measure to get your size.

Good Luck!!
    • 1980 posts
    November 25, 2007 7:30 PM GMT
    Hi Kyra-

Just to chime in, I'm six foot one (in the morning) and wear heels all the time when I go out. Depends on where it is, of course, but I love my 5" cfmp's. I don't think height much matter, at least for me it isn't height that gets me read, so I don't worry about it. As far as size, Karen's right, there are a number of sites online that cater to t-girls and to taller g-girls where you can find the shoes you're looking for.

Have fun, hon.

Hugs...Joni Marie
    • 1980 posts
    November 29, 2007 3:05 PM GMT
    Hi Everyone-

I just wanted to chime in again to say thanks for all the responses and to second Abigail's mention of Payless shoes as a great resource. I have several pairs from them and the staff has always been polite, professional and helpful.

Here's another site you girls may already know about. They carry shoes up to 13, though not in all styles, sadly. A problem for all us girls who have to get larger sizes. Anyway, here's the link for Silhouettes. http://www.silhouettes.com.

Happy shopping, ladies.

Hugs...Joni Marie
    • 2017 posts
    January 14, 2008 9:42 PM GMT
    They won't let you try them on? Why not if it makes a sale? Oh well, that's their loss. I have bought plenty of shoes and boots when in drab and noone has ever said I can't try them on. I haven't even received much in the way of odd looks, so I guess they are fussed as long as they get the sale.

Nikki