Help win our rights ....please act now

• 515 posts
    May 2, 2007 10:01 AM BST
    I as sent this last night but i think every one should act now to help pass the laws that will give us equal rights.

Dear Sara,

I'm forwarding you a message from our legislative director, Allison - the vote on hate crimes will be Thursday, and she's got some disturbing news.

Apparently legislators are being so heavily bombarded with calls and emails from the radical right that some are getting very nervous about voting for the bill. Knowing how close we are, that's not good.

EVEN IF YOU'VE ALREADY CALLED YOUR REPRESENTATIVE about this bill, and even if they've said they'll vote for it, we need you to pick up the phone RIGHT NOW and remind them of your support.

>> Call Representative Gresham
    Barrett at (202) 225-5301.

For talking points, and to tell us you called, go to:
    http://www.hrcactioncenter.org/ct/51w4WrS1ezTA/

Thank you so much,
    Joe Solmonese

-----Original Message-----
    >From: Allison Herwitt
    >To: Joe Solmonese
    >Subject: Thursday
    >
    >I got my hands on the latest House vote schedule. The vote on
    hate crimes is going to be Thursday.
    >
    >I also just returned from talking to two key democratic
    leadership staffers, who asked us to kick up the grassroots support. They are talking to Members of Congress and senior staff who are reporting that they are getting flooded by the other side's emails and phone calls. This has some key freshman Members very nervous. Others are still on the fence.
    >
    >We have to fill up the phone lines - could we go back to the
    email supporters ASAP?
    >
    >
    >Allison
    >
    >Sent from my BlackBerry Wireless Handheld
    >

--------------------------------------------------

If you received this message from a friend, you can sign up for Human Rights Campaign at:

http://www.hrcactioncenter.org/actioncenter/join.html?r=bdw4WrS1w81eE

--------------------------------------------------

This email is Powered by Convio, Inc.

http://www.convio.com

• 515 posts
    May 2, 2007 10:07 AM BST
    If you can please sent in your thoughts to the [email protected] please make you voice heard

Love Sara
    • 773 posts
    May 2, 2007 11:38 AM BST
    It is important to remember that representatives to Congress will only read messages or letters from within their own constituency. Any other messages will be deleted or thrown out.

On May 15, representatives of the transgender community will be meeting with members of Congress to discuss upcoming hate crime legislation. You can do your part by contacting your representative to Congress to let them know how you feel.

If you are unsure what district you live in, or who your specific representative is, visit this link:

http://www.house.gov/writerep/

You will be asked to enter your 9 digit zip code. You will then be provided with the name of your Congressional representative. This site also contains a list of all representatives to Congress and their contact information, including email addresses.

Remember to write only to your representative, and to include your full address, as messages from outside their district or that do not contain this information will be deleted.

DO NOT DELAY!!!! DO THIS RIGHT AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • 773 posts
    May 2, 2007 4:10 PM BST
    I've just seen a most disturbing television ad sponsored by the religious right against the hate crimes bill. In this ad, a woman who was charged under a similar law ostensibly for distributing religious literature claims that she was unfairly charged. No one is prosecuted merely for distributing literature. Plainly, the facts in this case have been unclearly presented to portray this woman as a victim of some infringement of 1st Amendment rights. I would speculate that this woman made inappropriate comments, gestures or committed some act of trespass or assault against a member of the gay or transgender community in her attempt to "spread the gospel" that resulted in her arrest.

Unfortunately, too many people of ignorance will be influenced by this television ad. We MUST act NOW to counter this campaign to deny us the protection aginst discrimination that we deserve under the law.

PLEASE TAKE A MINUTE TO USE THE LINK IN MY PREVIOUS POST IN THIS THREAD TO LET OUR REPRESENTATIVES KNOW HOW WRONG THIS IS!!!! DO IT NOW!!!!!!