What would you have said?

• May 28, 2007 11:36 AM BST
    Our gardening day ended with the sauna. We were three women in the ladies sauna and suddenly one woman kind of came out. She said her ex husband was a pervo who had sex with animals and children and was "of course also a tranny".
    Actually I could not believe this, I have never heard of a person having been all this together. The poor lady obviously has mental problems herself. I said something like "Oh my goodness". And did not comment that any further. What would you have said?
    Now some of trans people here say I´m a coward and should have stood up. But on the other hand I cannot support pedophiles...
    Do I have "obligations" to stand up for trans people? I really do not know.

Laura
  • May 29, 2007 5:31 AM BST
    Thanks for your comments. When I said "here" I meant here in Finland, not here in TW.
    I would have much more ignored the lady in other circumstances. But there we were, three women in the sauna...with two children. And I was in charge for the whole show. To my mind it was not at all correct from her to bring out such topics in front of two small children. I tried to change the subject as quickly as possible and I succeeded in that.
    In your life you must sometimes suddenly face odd situations and there I act with my instinct and backbone...

Laura
  • September 27, 2009 9:42 AM BST
    Defending "tranny's" does not mean you have to tell someone that you yourself are transsexual. At least I never have

I defend those who can not defend themselves and yet feel no obligation to also out myself in certain areas.

Just as defending children means you have to be a child to do so.

Stephenie
    • 1652 posts
    May 28, 2007 1:59 PM BST
    It does sound like the woman has mental problems herself, I doubt very much that her husband is really an animal loving transvestite paedophile. If he was though I certainly wouldn’t stand up for him just because he was trans; it doesn’t excuse all his sins does it? You have no such obligations.
    It may have been prudent to point out that bestiality and paedophilia do not in any way imply transvestism, but since anyone who would suggest this is so way off the mark, it wouldn’t be worth getting into a debate with them.
    I would have ignored the barmy woman.
    Who here has said you are a coward? Do they take for granted the fact that you are sharing a sauna with natal females? Have they done as much as you to stand up for trans rights? Are they in fact as brave as you are…?
    xx
    • 2627 posts
    May 28, 2007 4:07 PM BST
    You are not obligated to stand up & fight the cause at any time. That is up to you. If you do not want to stand there & tell the world about your past, than don't.
    Your only obligation is to yourself & your happiness.
    There are ways of helping without getting up on the soapbox.
    I won't out myself everytime some idiot makes a dumb statement.
    • 2573 posts
    May 29, 2007 6:39 AM BST
    Laura,

I believe your maternal instincts were the correct ones. Protecting the children was the greater good in that situation.