Ferguson's View: North Korea

• 37 posts
    June 8, 2007 12:19 AM BST
    In connection with my independent presidential campaign, yet another post regarding a current political issue. For information regarding my campaign, please e-mail [email protected] or visit my web page at http://candidate.lpks.org/BenFerguson.) Thank you.

NORTH KOREA-While the volatile situation in this region is understandably a source of great concern, diplomacy should be prominent in dealing with the Kim Jung Il regime. However, the regime should be made aware of the unwavering U.S. committment to the security of the South and our willingness to use military force if necessary. North Korea's apparent development of a primitive nuclear device is particularly troubling. However, someone once said of the North Korean dictator, "He may be crazy, but he's not stupid." The leaders of this ruthless regime must surely realize that in the event of U.S. military intervention, the privileged, luxurious lifestyle they have enjoyed for so many years would come to an end. Additionally, China should be encouraged to make every effort to rein in North Korean excesses. North Korea is essentially a client state of the People's Republic and the Chinese need to be made aware that they will bear some measure of responsibility for the actions of their junior partner. There is some reason to be optimistic that, through the influence of the Chinese, North Korea can be influenced to become a more open and Westernized society, perhaps a kind of benevolent dictatorship if not a full-blown democracy. For example, during a visit I made to Beijing in March of 2003, I noticed that many tourist agencies were offering tours to North Korea to Westerners. My father was serving in the United States Air Force in Korea when I was born. The sacrifices of our troops to maintain the territorial integrity of the South are vital to our national security.