AMA Amends Policy Regarding Transgender Americans

• 773 posts
    June 29, 2007 11:57 PM BST
    American transgender activists are applauding the American Medical Association's announcement today of the inclusion of gender identity in its anti-discrimination policy.

The new AMA policy prohibits discrimination against patients, physicians and medical students based upon gender identity and called for an end to discriminatory insurance policies that deny coverage to transgender patients seeking transition related medical care, sex specific care and in some cases, even the total denial of coverage for transgender patients. The AMA has included sexual orientation in their discrimination policy for some time, but until now, has continued to consider Gender Identity Dysphoria to be a psychiatric condition.

This represents a giant step toward equality in health care for transgender patients, and with the AMA's recognition of GID as a "valid" medical condition, a major victory in the struggle for transgender equality in the US. It is possible that in the foreseeable future, the US may, at least in the area of social policy, catch up to the UK and EU countries.

To view the text of the AMA report on this matter, choose "Report 11" at this link:

http://www.ama-assn.org/a[...]21.html
  • June 30, 2007 12:16 AM BST
    Hi Robyn,
    That is wonderful news... now we will need to wait for the insurance companies to catch up to the AMA. At least we are making progress on how society is viewing the transgendered.

Hugz,
    Michelle Lynn
    • 181 posts
    September 8, 2008 5:46 PM BST
    MY MY MY WILL MIRICLES EVER CEASE TO EXIST AND I THOUGHT IT WAS STILL 1958! WELL THATS WHAT PEOPLE IN THE WEST END OF RICHMOND VIRGINIA THINK ....... ELLEN