The big step

• August 19, 2007 3:44 AM BST
    Well, her I went: 2mg estrofem sublingual ly and 1 cc premarin cream topically. I already feel calmer, just knowing I've finally done it!
  • September 8, 2007 5:44 AM BST
    Three weeks of HRT now and I already notice that my nipples are more prominent and conical, and my chest is a little jigglier (or maybe i didn't pay much attention to it before). Nipples are definitely poking a tee shirt out a bit and tender.
  • September 8, 2007 5:57 AM BST
    Daily 2mg estradiol is meant for post-menopausal women and it is insufficient for real transition. For the real thing you need at least daily 6mg.

Laura
    • 364 posts
    September 8, 2007 6:41 AM BST
    Laura

Doesn't dosage for each individual vary ? From other sites on the net (including Ann Lawrence ) I found that the minimum amount recommended is 4mg daily. I am using 2 climara 100 patches at present which is equivalent to 4mg. This subject has been discussed in earlier threads in the Hormone section.
  • September 8, 2007 7:16 AM BST
    I have learned from different sources that the transition phase requires about 6mg daily and 4mg is the dosage keeping up the results after the transition. Nobody recommends dosage as low as 2mg for transsexuals. It is good for females with ovaries as the post-menopausal backing up dosage.

Laura
  • September 8, 2007 7:22 AM BST
    Further, even that dosage of 6mg estradiol is no good, unless simultaneously is taken a testosterone blocker, spironolactone or cyproterone acetate. Taking estradiol alone causes in males a rise of testosterone. Not exactly what is wished.

Laura
    • 515 posts
    September 9, 2007 1:09 AM BST
    Congrats Selena,
    I hope that you are enjoying you new feeling, I am glad that you are taking small steps with your hormones. I am not going to condemn any method you are taking your hormones as many of us have started by self medding, but please consider using a good medical supervision if you are not now. I hope you get the results you are looking for.
    Good for you
    Love
    Sara
  • September 15, 2007 5:26 AM BST
    Thank you, one and all. I never dreamed a little announcement would engender such attention. I started out with much trepidation but after a few days began twice-daily sub lingual 2mg. Estrofem; one doesn't want to rush into these thing, no matter how much one wants to!
  • December 6, 2007 6:20 PM GMT
    Now it's December and I have tender (make that sore) nipples and some better filling of my 38A bras. When I look down I can't see my chest below the bust line.
  • July 9, 2008 7:31 PM BST
    there is every reason to not seek medical help when you're poor. is this covered my health insurance? when it is, i'll be the first in line.
    • 1083 posts
    July 16, 2008 10:22 PM BST
    Sheila, dear--
    "there is every reason to not seek medical help when you're poor. is this covered my health insurance? when it is, i'll be the first in line."
    There'll be more reasons to seek medical assistance now than after, hon. Regular medical checkups are a must--there are so many things that can go wrong, things that will cost you far more than a yearly checkup--that you are better off spending the money now than later.

Plus, nobody should be messing with hormones outside a doctor's care. I don't have medical insurance right now, either--so I have to put aside a little each month for doctor's visits, medications (both hormones as well as other meds I take) and so forth. If something major happens to me, I am screwed.

Self-medicating is not safe. I could wish that hormones were available over the counter--but that does not mitigate their effect. I have said it before--the effects of hormones are permanent after 6-8 months.

Having said all of that...

Congratulations, Selena. Hormones are a big step towards becoming the woman you are. If you're not seeing a medical doc, please at least consider it. (I couldn't tell from your posts if you are or not.)

Luv 'n hugs,

Dr. Mina Sakura
  • May 21, 2009 12:57 AM BST
    Update: 6mg estrofem, 37" band and 39 1/2" over the bust. 38A bra fits quite well, A friend brushed my chest yesterday and I noticed how soft and yielding it was'. I wonder if he dd, too!
  • September 8, 2007 2:21 PM BST
    You can chose to trust any post in this forum from people for whatever you know might just be guessing up random numbers (not saying that they are).... or you can go and see an endochrinologist, take blood tests and then let them prescribe a dosage that is right for you.
    Self medicating and playing around with hormones isn't a very good idea and there is no reason not to see a doctor and have hormones prescribed.
    • 1652 posts
    September 8, 2007 1:47 PM BST
    For some people a low dose of estradiol may be sufficient to achieve good feminisation. For all people it’s best to start on a low dose and ramp up gradually if necessary. Selena is wise to start on this dose of Estrofem. I’m afraid I have my doubts about the Premarin cream though.
    It’s not true that taking estradiol alone causes testosterone to rise, maybe it’s a possibility (and if so it will likely be only temporary), but the converse is normally true. Even a low dose of estradiol over time will lower your testo. Things may be unsettled to begin with while your body adjusts to the changes, but a constant dose of estradiol alone should lower your testo. I am living proof of that! A testo blocker is not always essential, it depends on your age, your testo levels to begin with, and your reaction to estradiol. Most people will only be on hormones for a couple of years before they have SRS, so I think too much emphasis is often placed on the need for testo blockers, given that natural production of testo won’t be for much longer, and as I’ve said because it’s likely to be severely reduced by the effects of estradiol anyway.
    What’s perhaps most important is that it’s not good advice to suggest that a certain dosage is right for everyone. 6mg is a reasonable ball-park figure, but it won’t be right for everyone, some will need more, some may find they don’t need that much. And, for the record, it’s not true that, “Nobody recommends dosage as low as 2mg for transsexuals…” Charing Cross Gender Clinic in London often recommend that dosage. I’m not saying they’re right to do so, just that they do. Opinion on what and how much is best varies all over the world. If your endo says one thing, don’t take it as the Gospel truth.
    There is no “one correct dosage”. Everyone is different and everyone’s hormone regime should be tailor-made to suit them. If you’re getting good breast growth along with all the other expected changes then you’re probably on the right dose. Ignore cookie-cutter advice and listen to your body.
    xx