Let's Get Political

• 773 posts
    October 14, 2007 10:29 PM BST
    I would like to open my inaugural post in the Polly Ticks by thanking my friends Katie Glover and Sarah Conor for their friendship over lo, these many years, and also for their confidence in my ability to host this forum and keep it interesting.

I know that the primary purpose of Trannyweb is social networking for transgender people, and the value of light social interaction cannot be underestimated in our community.

I think, though, that considering both the diversity and the commonality of the transgender community, it’s important we occasionally exchange ideas concerning those larger social issues that affect us. We can take this opportunity to share our thoughts and learn from one another, and in so doing, possibly make things better for our community a little at a time.

I hope that everyone will take the opportunity to participate at one time or other. So many people have the impression of political topics to be drab and serious, but we are living in exciting times for the transgender community, and the issues that challenge us are serious, to be sure, but by no means drab.

We are engaged in a struggle for our identity as a community, our right to provide for ourselves and our families, our very survival. It’s easy for a person to say they have no interest in these matters, and while participation is certainly not compulsory, I would encourage all of our members to at least read through the posts in this forum from time to time.

Not everyone can be on the front lines of the battle, but complete apathy in these days and times can literally kill us.

Of course, transgender issues are not the only thing happening in global and national politics. There’s a presidential election coming up that will have a major effect on all of us worldwide. War, religion, famine. All political.

Please remember as you participate to be respectful of others, and if you disagree, please address the ideas, not the person. Let’s start exchanging ideas. I hope to hear from everyone what they’re thinking.
    • 2017 posts
    October 15, 2007 8:11 AM BST
    Robyn, I think you are perfect for this forum, having read your previous threads on political issues.

I wonder if you can persuade a UK girl from joining you as well in order to get the view from that side of the pond as well.

I think you made a great point already..........attack the issue, not the person. We're all in this together after all.

Nikki