I gotta brag

• 1195 posts
    September 16, 2008 5:46 PM BST
    Mina
    Unfortunately, I've experienced all those "happenings" you have mentioned.
    I attended high school in Manhatttan(NYC) and the cab drivers used to block the cross-walks. Being jovial highschoolers we'd climb onto the hoods of their cabs. You can use your imagination as to what we were called (in English).
    The freeway stop is also found in Los Angeles.
    hugs
    Gracie
    • 1195 posts
    October 17, 2007 4:08 PM BST
    I just can't contain myself any longer. I vote Texas as having the worst drivers in the country.
    Here are my reasons:
    1 Stop signs are ignored.
    2 They don't bother to see is there is a vehicle in the lane they decide they should be in.
    3 They don't bother to signal
    4 They hit the brakes instead of taking there (fat)foot off the gas
    5 Insist on backing into a parking slot (haven't figured this one out)
    6 Drive pickup trucks as a personal vehicle
    7 Have trouble passing a parked auto because they don't know how wide there truck is.
    8 Are all over the road because they're on the cell phone
    9 They don't look to the rear when backing
    10 They block walk-ways so pedestrians have to walk into an intersection
    That should be enough
    Can anyone top the list?

I need a hug
    Gracie
    • 871 posts
    October 17, 2007 8:44 PM BST
    drivers round here often turn on the idicator whilst going round the corner which removes any sense of warning.
    • 1195 posts
    October 19, 2007 9:34 PM BST
    Kristina - true it could be for a quick get-away. Of course we're thinking of the "ski-mask"people. Around here the birds look for dead bugs in the grill work - I'm just thinking about the safety factor for our feathered friends.
    hugs
    Gracie
    • 1912 posts
    October 19, 2007 10:17 PM BST
    Oh people in Savannah do all that and more. One of there favorites is making left turns from the through lane when there is a turn lane right there, of course they have to stop completely and back things up before they make there turn.

Next is when traffic is backed up and people are kind enough to let them pull out from a side street, they pull out straight and block everyone so they can make a left turn.

This must be a southern thing, when there is a funeral procession it doesn't matter what lane other drivers are in, they just stop, blocking all traffic going the other direction. Supposedly to pay respects to the dead. Who is to say it is not some thug who was shot over drugs, let me clear a path, lol.

Oh and the latest common thing is to see if you can cross the train tracks before the train comes, even if the lights are flashing and the barrier is down. Three of those last week, they all lost. Of course the news always shows family whinning that they need to do more at those crossings.

Oh and Kristina was right about number 5, it is much safer to back into a parking space then to back out of one. Most commercial vehicles are required by their companies to do that.

The funniest thing about the big trucks is that it is usually a small person driving, lol.
    • 1195 posts
    October 21, 2007 3:44 PM BST
    Marsha - Do you have those "wetlands" pickup trucks in Savannah? The kind that are boosted so high the driver has to throw out a ladder?
    Scary!
    hugs
    • 1195 posts
    October 26, 2007 7:09 PM BST
    I saved my life yesterday. I was driving on a four lane street approaching an intersection. I was in the inside lane because I had to make a left turn at the next intersection. Lo and behold this driver (male) decided to make a left turn from the far right lane. Luckily, no one panicked - scary.
    Today an auto next to me waiting for the light to change decided he'd(notice male again) occupy the pedestrian crossing. When the light changed I moved on and he was still there.
    My wife and I have decided that decision making is a problem - or is it the cell phone stuck in their ear- or as my older brother used to say - "they've got their thumb stuck up the a--."
    Happy trail to you......
    Gracie
  • January 10, 2008 1:32 AM GMT
    Eh, it's all about bragging rights. A lot of people (everywhere) have no sense for other people's safety on the road.
    • 1195 posts
    January 10, 2008 4:41 PM GMT
    Anne Does driver's accident insurance exist in Thailand?
    What's the fee for a license?
    hugs
    Gracie
    • 181 posts
    September 8, 2008 5:10 PM BST
    Mary Grace, I am a professional driver, been doing it for years too. I have lived in both Houston and Dallas. Ive been west some what north and of course south! Living here in central Virginia now, I see both Tidewater and Northern Virginia areas. Now I admit ya'all have the unique feature of having "Feeder Roads " along yer freeways, that can be a REAL problem! It still goes back to common courtesy and trying to do the " Right" thing. I actually see the same uncouth behavior going on in the houses where the same numb skulls are driving! Face it girl if you EVER take a Comercial Drivers Licence test, youre in for a suprise! My test was a test just to examine if I even could idenify the vital pieces on my truck! I also had to demonstrate that I knew what a Road worthy truck was to look like. I also had to show the fact that I could keep and idenity my drivers log and what it meant! At least you folks in Texas still have to paralel park , hell we dont have that here anymore! Why you should see some of these S U V drivers trying to park in the city! I could go on, but I wont. Look, lets loby for some enforcement of existing laws and lobby for a REAL dtrivers test of knowlege! Ellen Shaver
    • 1195 posts
    September 9, 2008 4:24 PM BST
    Ellen
    We need the street cop back. I'm in a community of elderly people and some that just act like it. The latest trick is to wait behind the white line (cross walk) to make a left turn, instead of getting out in the middle of the intersection. They usually miss the turn and have to wait for the next light. Naturally, when I get behind on of these drivers I embarrass myself by using foul language.
    Has everyone noticed the plethera of SUVs in used car lots?
    hugs
    Gracie
    • 181 posts
    September 12, 2008 4:54 PM BST
    Mary, I haven't noticed more S U V's on the lots as people here arent teally doing much of anything in the Central Va. area. Im just noticing the rude behavior from everyone . Its almost Do unto others BEFORE THEY DO YOU ! I dunno, I see the same CRASS behavior going on in the people s yards, homes and on television too. I first saw this Me mentality in the 1970's, It was deplorable then and now. I figgured that Karma would just come back and punish those involved , but I guess not. Ellen Shaver
    • 1083 posts
    September 16, 2008 4:08 PM BST
    Mary--

My late uncle used to tell me, "Don't ever move to Florida. It's full of old people, tourists and Canadians." (He was semi-retired, so he could say that.) I laughed at that, until I had to drive there.

Georgia was no picnic, either.

Now, granted that I drive like Speed Racer. There's a reason my car is nicknamed "The Princess Flyer," and it's well earned. I learned to drive in the San Francisco Bay Area, and learned to drive in snow in the Chicagoland Area. I'm heaven in a hell of a package...and hell on wheels.

So I'm a fine one to talk about driving technique.

My vote, though, has to go to Chicago--my second home--for worst drivers. To wit:

1. Stop signs AND stoplights are ignored. Unfortunately, so are too many train crossings.
    2. They don't bother to see is there is a vehicle in the lane(s) they decide they should be in.
    3. They don't bother to signal--it's optional equipment on most vehicles.
    4. They hit the gas instead of taking their foot off the brakes for the next ten miles. Are they stopping or not?
    5. Insist on backing into two parking spaces, so they don't ding the paint job.
    6. Drive pickup trucks, Urban Assualt Vehicles, and minivans as a personal tank. (Some are even armed.)
    7. Have trouble passing a parked auto because they don't know how wide their truck is--and the auto is double or even triple parked.
    8. Are all over the road because they're on the cell phone--texting.
    9. They don't look to the rear...period! Rearview mirrors are also optional on most vehicles.
    10. They block crosswalks so pedestrians have to walk into an intersection. Come to think of of--pedestrians don't use crosswalks!

And the further north and east I go, the worse they get. Can anyone here from Pittsburgh explain to me why you stop at the end of a freeway on-ramp?

Luv 'n hugs,

Mina Sakura
    "Almost-Angel, Girl Genius, and Ultra-Flirt"
    • 1083 posts
    September 16, 2008 6:51 PM BST
    "The freeway stop is also found in Los Angeles."
    **giggles**

Yeah, but there it's because there's too much traffic. Been there, done that, have blouses--and tan lines--to prove it.

Luv 'n hugs,

Mina
    • 2573 posts
    September 17, 2008 7:03 AM BST
    #5 is because of #9...it's a safety factor.