apologies

• 1195 posts
    October 28, 2007 4:49 PM GMT
    I remiss in my responsibilities. I have been watching the news concerned about friends and relatives in southern California.
    I do hope that all of our sisters in southern California are ok.
    It's tough to lose everything you own.
    So, I apologise for not being concerned about TW members in that area.
    Unless you have experienced the Santa Ana winds, it's hard to describe its effects.
    love to all in southern CA
    Gracie
    • 1195 posts
    October 30, 2007 12:05 AM GMT
    Thanks Wendy - I'm glad you're ok. CA is probably the most prepared state for any disaster. I remember teaching in northern CA during to late 80s. We had a plan for just about anything imaginable. Unfortunately, when I lived in southern CA I saw building on landslide areas and next to the forested areas. Scary. I lived down in San Marino - nice and flat.
    hugs
    Gracie
    • 1912 posts
    October 30, 2007 1:31 AM GMT
    That is what gets me about hurricane Katrina in New Orleans. We had to evacuate for a hurricane 5 or 6 years ago. Even northern Florida was evacuating through our area, basically millions safely evacuated the area. We ended up lucky and only had some limbs and a few trees down. So much depends on the people in the community, we have our share of poor in this city that couldn't help themselves, but our emergency management used all the resourses available and got everyone out in plenty of time. Thank god our local and state politicians are not as stupid and corrupt as louisiana's.
    • 2573 posts
    October 29, 2007 3:13 AM GMT
    There was a house fire in North Carolina today. I think more people died in it than in all our wildfires this week. One fire was 5 miles from my house at one point. I rolled over and went to sleep. I was never in danger.There were probably people who were in more danger with the fire 20 miles away.

The fires are not only unavoidable but, in fact, necessary for the propagation of many Southern California plants. People build their houses where it is inevitable that, one day, it will be threatened by wildfire. However, the system is very organized for dealing with such fires. The fact that one million people were evacuated from fire danger is evidence of that. The skilled and courageous firefighters of CA compensate for the negligence, laziness and idiocy of a lot of Californians. I know what they face because I have worked in a burn unit and seen what happens to them up close and personal. You can't imagine. Be grateful. They have my admiration for their dedication and courage.