Should the Commissioner of the Metropolitan

• 448 posts
    November 2, 2007 11:33 PM GMT
    Police resign? Let's look at the facts, An innocent unarmed man was chased onto a tube train, and without warning, was forced to the ground and had seven bullets pumped into his head. The Metropolitan Police has since been charged with a breach of the Health and Safety Rules. The verdict is in and they have been declared guilty, but no one is to blame. A very British verdict because in this country no one is ever to blame. Even when the verdict is guilty. Now the circumstances at the time were unique. London had just undergone a terrible terrorist outrage, the country was on high alert, and there was an understandable paranoia. So no criminal charges were bought in this case and I understand the arguments here, though I don't necessarily agree with them. Despite that, an innocent man was shot dead. Also there were deliberate attempts by the Police to tarnish the victims name. Surely, at the very least, the man on whose watch this tragic mistake occurred should accept responsibility and resign. People simply don't accept responsibility in this country, worse of all, you have any number of politicians and others coming out of the woodwork to defend this man. At best he's an incompetent and is most certainly now a busted flush. I know it may be old fashioned but wouldn't it be nice if just sometimes people accepted the burden of responsibility that came with the money, the knighthoods and the social kudos, of the job.