W. and the Middle East

• 37 posts
    January 11, 2008 10:06 PM GMT
    While George W. Bush is simply the latest in a long line of American presidents who have endorsed virtually unequivocal support for the Israeli state, thereby jeopardizing vital American security interests, it is nevertheless a breath of fresh air to learn of his support for the removal of illegal Israeli settlements and his insistence upon a viable contiguous Palestinian state. Especially heartening was the president's insistence that illegal Israeli outposts be dismantled. Any departure from the slavish devotion to Zionism advocated by the American Israel Political Action Committe (AIPAC) and its allies is to be welcomed, particularly as it comes from a sitting president. The remarkable degree of material and diplomatic support that the United States provides to Israel cannot be justified on either strategic or moral grounds and such policies are profoundly damaging to both America's national interests and Israel's longterm security.
    The troubled relationship between the United States and the Arab world is largely the result of our government's unequivocal support for the state of Israel. Israel receives more U.S. foreign aid per capita than any other nation on earth. (Israeli Prime Minister Olmert recently thanked President Bush for an aid package in the amount of $30 billion, larger than the Gross National Product of some nations of similar size.) The state of Israel contributes nothing of significance to the security of the United States. On the contrary, American support of Israel is one of the primary reasons our country has become the target of choice for Islamic terrorists. Often, any criticism of Israeli policy is interpreted as anti-Semitism. (This cannot be said in Ben's case as his ex-wife is a Jew and their son is considered Jewish according to traditional standards.) Ferguson will strive to end the disproportionate influence of the Jewish lobby on state and federal government. Israel is often depicted in mainstream American media as a courageous little country desperately struggling for its existence among hostile neighbors, a model of democracy and human rights in the region. However, human rights organizations estimate that since 1967 more than 630,000 Palestinians (about 20 percent of the total population) in the occupied territories have been detained at some time by the Israelis, arousing deep resentment among the families involved. Although the vast majority of prisoners are men, there are a large number of women and children being held. Between the ages of twleve and fourteen, children can be sentenced for a period of up to six months, and after the age of fourteen Palestinian children are tried as adults, a violation of international law.
    Based partially upon my recent trip to Israel in November, I am more convinced than ever that important decisions regarding the security of the United States should not be based upon considerations involving Abrahaminically-based religion or belief systems. Let us begin to put the interests of our own nation first and allow the cults of the Middle East to play out their feuds among themselves.

(Bennie Lee "Ben" Ferguson is a transgendered, independent write-in U.S. presidential candidate registered with the Federal Election Commission. (E-mail: [email protected]. Web page: http://candidate.lpks.org/BenFerguson.)

• 23 posts
    January 12, 2008 5:03 AM GMT
    Hi Bennie,

Thanks for that post. It brings up a crucial issue in our world and especially America of which people should be aware. I think the President Bush's visit in general is a farce. This is the first time that he has even been to the Middle East as President. Obviously he is looking after the interest of his legacy. His statements of a peace agreement being signed by 2009 are incredibly laughable.

I was going to disagree that the U.S. unconditional support of Israel doesn't serve the interest of the U.S. But, now that I think about it I think I was thinking of a different issue. To side track slightly, I think that the creation of Israel was a quite clever plan to create instability in the Middle East which would not allow them to organize and possibly become a threat to the U.S. This did work but parts of it have backfired in that those now considered terrorists could see through the plan. Now, our unconditional support of Israel has become complete folly, terrible policy that is causing us more and more problems. Unconditional support of any nation regardless of there actions is folly.

I am also very glad that you mentioned the settlements and the mass detentions. It is disgusting because the Israeli military has no regard for human rights. They do arrest Palestinians who pose a threat but they also conduct raids upon households without any evidence that the residents support militancy. They take people (especially men) at random. It may all be seen as precautions on their part but these people are being detained without trial. I could go on but I think the sadness in my heart would get in the way of coherence.

I only hope that the next president will take an unbiased look at the situation and move to chastise the Israeli's and set up a truly viable Palestinian State... I write this and I reflect... Its hard to see that happening because of the situation in Gaza with the split power of the Palestinians, let alone to mention the Jewish lobby in America that you mentioned, Bennie.

Anyway, good luck with your run for the White House and keep talking about the issues!!! You can't get through to everyone but there are always people seeking more knowledge and understanding!

Q
    • 1195 posts
    January 12, 2008 9:12 PM GMT
    Question: Due to the control of the state of Israel by tits religious leaders, wouldn't the state of Israel be considered a theocracy rather than a democracy?
    • 1195 posts
    January 12, 2008 9:14 PM GMT
    sorry I washed my hands and can't do typing right.
    correct tits to "its"
    thanks
    • 448 posts
    January 13, 2008 5:30 PM GMT
    The middle-east crisis as we currently understand it is in large part a British creation. From the Sykes - Picot Pact of 1916 that created Anglo-French mandates throughout the region and betrayed pan-Arab nationalism to the Balfour Declaration of 2 November 1917, that promised to the Zionist movement active Government support in the creation of a Jewish homeland in the British mandated territory of Palestine. The fact that there is a Jewish homeland is right and proper and the State of Israel should be supported and defended. However, their persecution of the Palestinians is wrong and is a stain upon their nation. Israel has for too long been used as a bulwark against Arab nationalism, Communism and now Muslim fundamentalism. The irony is that being so obviously being a satellite of the United States in the region has only served to fuel these movements. As has already been stated this is a legacy issue for, George Bush. If he were to bring closure to the Israel/Palestine question and peace were to follow then all his other sins would be forgiven. And if he were to succeed then they probably would be, perhaps even deservedly so. America has the leverage to compel Israel to make the necessary concessions. The problem, and it is a dangerous one, is that there are many on both sides who don't desire or seek peace but merely the destruction of one or the other. Jewish history and the Jewish experience and how they can reconcile that to present day realities will ultimately determine the outcome. The Arab nations have, with good cause, feared Israels military might. As indeed they have Americas. Israels failure to subdue Hizbollah in the Lebanon and the US's failures in Iraq have served to undermine that sense of awe. Iran's increasingly belligerent attitude is evidence of that. It is that new found sense of vulnerability that, ironically, might push the movement for peace further forward. Though, I'm sceptical. I doubt George Bush is a man sensitive to the issues or even fully understands them. He may, therefore, be just the man to do it. Sometimes you can see too much, sometimes sincerity can be a weakness. In the end Israel and its neighbours will sort out their problems between themselves. But the United States cannot withdraw from the process entirely. To do so would leave Israel isolated and vulnerable. If it is attacked Israel will defend itself with everything it has to the bitter end, and it is a nuclear power. Never again will they bear witness to another holocaust, or endure pogroms. The United States is the broker of peace, as it has in the recent past been the breaker of nations. It is the price you pay for being the most powerful nation in the world. This is a huge subject and I have hardly done it justice. Just a few points I thought worth mentioning.
    • 23 posts
    January 13, 2008 8:19 PM GMT
    Hey Porscha,

Thanks for the points about the British influence in the Middle East. That was a good reminder as I completely forgot about the Balfour Declaration. One point that I am going to disagree with heartily is Israel's right as a state. What claim do they have to the land? A couple thousand year old claim? I mean the land was stolen from the Philistines etc. in the Old Testament time anyway.

This probably a moot point however as Israel is entrenched because of Western support. They are not going away and the peace process is quite necessary. You are right on every point that the U.S. should stay involved. But, we need to engage all parties. Excluding Hamas just because they support terrorists is not smart. The fact of the matter is that every party engages in "terrorist activities". I am sorry but the incursions by the legal Israeli military are just as harmful to the Palestinian people as the suicide bombers are to the Israeli people. Excluding this point though Fatah was in the same position as Hamas is right now. They were quite a militant organization during the 60s/70s and arguably still today. I have these magazines called Horizon from like mid 60s that show Fatah "gunmen" of the age of about 12-14. Pretty terrible stuff if you ask my opinion.

I mean this is an incredibly complicated issue and both sides must be willing to compromise. The problem is that neither side will. I think we might need to wait until this generation of leaders cycles out and new one comes in until they move anywhere near peace.

And a side note about Theocracy. You are quite Mary Grace that it is. Further more it is a completely ethnically separatist (term?) country. If you know what I mean? I think this might be one of the largest problems because I think our world needs to continue to integrate. Ethnic separation is the complete wrong direction for continued evolution of nations and humanity.

Anyway, I want peace also and am hopeful. But, I know it will not take a year. It will be along and arduous road but war cannot continue forever. There will be a point at which people get sick and tired. They will cry enough. At least thats what me must hope for.

Summer Q