Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » Polly Ticks » Over the Pond Life

Over the Pond Life

Tags : None
  • A simple question for US voters. Which candidate represents the greatest advancement for the States, Hilary Clinton or Barack Obama? (Accepting that after GWB regression is probably impossible..)
    a girl at heart and a proper person too
      February 16, 2008 11:42 AM GMT
  • 2 2627
    Having a black man & a woman get this far in the US is a big step. But I don't think one or the other can win. People that vote R will still do so. But a lot people that vote D will vote R because of what they are not because of who they are. I think we're getting close but we're not there yet.
    <p>Karen Brad</p>
      February 16, 2008 1:11 PM GMT
    Rachel If I'm interpreting your question correctly, by advancement you mean breaking with the past, electing either a women or an African-American. Either candidate would be a leap for the USA voter.
    The Republican party has been ranting over a women being president for sometime. I personally believe they are acting cool about Sen. Obama because they know that middle American wont vote for a "black"man.
    That's the way I read it -
    hugs
    Gracie
    <p>If it isn't fun - don't do it.</p>
      February 16, 2008 10:11 PM GMT
  • I see a knee jerk reaction away from the conservative approach of Dubyah and friends. Huckabee is definitely not a viable Republican candidate, and I think that even the majority of Republicans are as sick to death of the war as any Democrat. McCain's platform is built solely on the whole national security, no surrender mentality that just won't fly.

Of course, I don't particularly see Obama or Clinton as viable choices either, but once again, we are faced with the same "lesser of two evils" choice that confronts us every four years.

What about Bennie Lee for President?
      February 16, 2008 10:27 PM GMT
  • Why has everyone been assuming that "middle America won't vote for Barak Obama"? NPR has done some good reporting on the primaries over the last few months and what you all are saying goes contrary to their reports. I have heard quite a few stories on how Obama is getting swing voters that usually lean Republican. I mean the hardcore Republican won't vote for him because he has a (D) but some of the more moderate ones will. And, up against McCain... I don't think a large portion of the Conservative Republican block will vote for him. I think they might abstain. Its quite interesting.

In general, I think the Republican party is incredibly weak and nearly any Democrat will beat McCain. Clinton worries me slightly because she is a polarizing figure. But, she is strong and could go head to head with him on issues like foreign policy.

Anyway, as you can tell I have been recruited by the Obama train as I used to be a supporter of Hilary Clinton. There is just something that has turned me off about her approach. Its too cutthroat.

Oh yeah the question, advancement... Hmmm... They both represent a huge step in American politics but I still would have to go with Obama. The reason is that his appeal is not just to his base of black male voters. Rather he is pulling in white men and white/black women alike. This is a major achievement as we see that at least a portion of the population is ready for a black president.

Sunshine
    Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less. - Marie Curie
      February 25, 2008 5:21 AM GMT