Wigs: care and management

• 1195 posts
    March 3, 2008 5:17 PM GMT
    I searched the archives for some information on the care of a wig but couldn't find any info.

Here's my problem.
    I wear a human hair wig. I washed it in a "good" shampoo and used a "good" conditioner. It looked rather dull after it dried. My wife suggested using Paul Mitchell's extra body sculpting cream to give it some sheen. It did work but it now looks like "split ends." This makes it look "frizzy."
    Any suggestions?
    I'm not a barber so I'm hesitant to do any cutting.
    Help - I don't want to lose my "just another pretty face" status.
    Gracie
  • October 17, 2009 3:34 PM BST
    Ouch! Sounds bad!
    Few tips...
    - you should never low dry or ring out your wig whilst its wet! Always let it dry naturally!
    - Only wash your wig if you really need to (best to use a special wig shampoo)
    And here's the tip of the day!...
    If your wig goes frizzy or loses it's style boil the kettle and hold the wig over the steam (careful not to burn yourself though!) This is a magic trick - it basically pings the wig back in to shape and style, bringing it back to how it was - zero frizz and perfect style.
    I get all my wigs from a store called wonderland wigs - they have an ebay shop http://stores.shop.ebay.c[...]nd-Wigs and also are really good for advice etc.
    They have lots of info in their shop about wig care, styling etc. Check it out as your 1st stop.
    Hope this helps.
    x