My situation - what to do?

• 871 posts
    March 25, 2008 7:11 PM GMT
    When i was with my x partner early last year we signed up to a years contract at greens as a couple - for this we got a £10 a month discount, which meant we paid £90 a month for the gold membership.

However, we split up, I cancelled the direct debit because I no longer wanted to pay £90 a month and of course her membership.

since, they are threatening me to court for the remainder of the contract money, which they are in their right to do.

I have since contacted the manager and he said they would waiver the remainder of the contract if i took up a single membership.

great! but now i am TS i dont particularly want to use the men’s changing room. also, i would look a bit silly strolling around the gym in a leotard and swimming pool in a bikini. going in drab is unacceptable to me.

ideally, i would like them to drop the whole idea of suing me for the money as i cant afford the membership. but if forced i would probably strut around the girls changing room in my bikini and i am sure the younger GGs would find this offensive.

any ideas on how to approach this sensibly?
    • 315 posts
    March 28, 2008 12:27 AM GMT

Hi Rea,

Possibly the report you're thinking of was an article here, written by a serving police officer (I think she may have been based in Manchester), in which she went through, literally, chapter and verse, of the "exact" law regarding various issues relevant to TV/TG behaviour, etc., in public places, including public loo's.
    I think the title of it was something like TV's & TG's and the Law.

Also, just as a comment to you saying that most of the Uni-sex Loo's in the UK seem to be of the "stand-alone" type, rather than the fully "communal" type, here in Dublin, my favourite resturant has just recently undergone a major refurbishment, and as part of that, the loo's are now uni-sex.
    On my first visit to them, I was, like you, expecting the small/stand-alone type, but NO !!! On entering, it was a very large, very plush uni-sex loo, with about 30 cubicles, and down the centre, a line of very classy wash-hand basins, and along the other wall, a number of mirrors, all with vanity tables, and a very large selection of quality toiletries etc, for both women and men !!

So, needless to say, for me anyway, that solves my "problem" of where to go for a meal !!
    If only all places showed as much (inadvertant) foresight in helping the TV/TG community, when planning their loo's !!
    We can but hope !!!

Hugs,
    Angela. xx.
    • 315 posts
    March 28, 2008 6:52 AM GMT

Hi Girls,

Just further detail on my previous post ............................

The Article I mentioned is titled ............. "Transvestites and the Law",

It can be found in the "Articles" list, on your first page, after "Logging In".

It gives "chapter and Verse" on many aspects of UK Law, as it affects TV's etc., and, in one section, gives definitive detail of the laws regarding the use of Toilets, etc., by TV/TS's.

It covers just about every question we might have about our "standing" in UK Law, so it's well worth a read!

Hope this helps.

Hugs,
    Angela. xx.

• 2017 posts
    March 25, 2008 8:28 PM GMT
    Good advice Carren, I am sure that will cause some backtracking and hopefully a case of forgetting about the whole thing.

Nikki
  • March 25, 2008 8:45 PM GMT
    I'm not sure what "Greens " is but I can tell you what I used to do at my old gym...

Even though I could pass, I went to the gym already changed into gym clothes or I used the bathroom to change. I always went home to shower instead of using the showers at the gym since it would put both me and everyone else in an awkward situation had I been naked in the shower.
    The people working at the gym and the guests there can't really be asked to tell a pre-op TS from a TV or even a general pervert wanting to get into the "wrong" dressing room. There are two dressing rooms and if your body (not mind) doesn't match either of them, better not use any of them... For everyones sake.

At least, that's how I reasoned.

• 734 posts
    March 26, 2008 11:58 PM GMT
    Hi Ani!

My view would be that if you no longer feel able to use the facilities, then be completely upfront with the Management. As long as they have'nt already passed the debt to a collection agency - who are notoriously difficult to deal with - then I suspect they would treat you sympathetically. If they don't, of course, you're then building evidence for a more interesting argument.

However, why not use the facility if you can afford single membership? I did exactly what Swedish Koala advises. I did'nt want to use the changing rooms out of deference to the existing members of my local gym. That was my choice. The owner had already said to me, quite categorically, that I was welcome to use the gym, use the male changing rooms and facilities and he would happily handle anybody who complained. [I did, however, take the trouble to explain exactly who and what I was when I joined. Which was interesting given this guy is a testosterone filled ex-para / bodyguard and about the size of a barn door!].

I'm not overly sure of the current situation regarding pre-op use of a female changing facility. I did mention in another thread that, as far as I recall, its illegal for a male to use a female convenience. And if these were situated in the changing area I suspect the law would extend there. You would need to be post-op with a changed gender status to have full rights of use. [I do reiterate I'm not 100% up to steam in this area].

Just be you, hunni, you're worth it.

Much love

Rae xx
  • March 27, 2008 6:59 AM GMT
    is there any actual law says males can't use female loos and vice versa? Or is it just custom?

There are unisex loos about so the matter might just be custom not law.
    • 734 posts
    March 27, 2008 11:23 PM GMT
    Hi Rose!

I did read a report a while ago detailing the legal aspect of public conveniences which stated that it was illegal for a male to use a female public convenience and vice versa. I don't recall a specific law and suspect it fell into the area of laws covering decency. However, I would be interested to find out if things have changed. Perhaps a seperate thread may be usefull...?

As far as I'm aware 'unisex' loo's in this country tend to be of the single 'standalone' type which does'nt involve the type of mixing that a multi-cubicled building would, so presumably do not contravene any decency laws.

[What a strange subject I've got involved in!]

Much love

rae xx
    • 734 posts
    March 30, 2008 5:58 AM BST
    Hi Angela!

Thankyou for your info, I've read the article but am not sure how any more recent UK legislation may have changed it.

As for your Uni-Sex Super Loo's... wow! we need them here! ['Though I do think its nicer to have seperate facilities - you know how sloppy guys are!)

Much love

Rae xx