Revising the "Latest Forum Threads" system

• 62 posts
    April 11, 2008 10:45 PM BST
    Hi all.

I have sort of a qualm with the way our "Latest Forum Threads" system works currently.

As you notice, it lists every sing post that has happened recently. As well it has a limit to I believe 10 on the main page and 15-20 on the forums directory. Thus if one thread is very popular, it could easily be that 80-90% of the "Latest Forum Threads" are actually all the latest posts from ONE thread.

Now I know that this section is how most of us take note of respond to new threads. Now if at any given time we're only seeing 3-5 threads when there might be 10 or more threads that have been made or updated in the last few hours, then we're missing a whole lot of stuff that might catch our attention or deserve our attention!

I propose that a change is made. Some possible suggestions:

1) Possibly on the forums directory, change the system to more of a "Posts since last visit" like other forums use. Where it knows which threads have had posts added to them since your last visit to the forums. This would help people to not miss any threads that have been made/updated.

2) Change the system altogether to listing just the recently updated threads, not each post. So if a thread had 4 posts made in the last 5 minutes, it will just have the thread itself at the top of the list, taking up one slot instead of 4. This will give room for more threads to be displayed and give them a chance to be viewed.

What do you all think? Possible? Needed?

Thanks for your time!

<3 Angelyn
    • 62 posts
    April 11, 2008 11:18 PM BST
    Thanks for reading, Carren and Danique.

Part of my qualm was concerning to the posting aspect. Sometimes I get home at 2am (central time) and post a thread. And in the morning when I wake up, the thread is completely off the list with no replies and is doomed to never have any. Thats part of the reason.

I will take part of my post and add it to the Wish List thread. Thanks!!

<3 Angelyn
    • 1083 posts
    April 12, 2008 5:47 AM BST
    Meredith, honey--

You are making sense again. Stop that!

Luv 'n hugs,

Mina
    • 62 posts
    April 12, 2008 6:29 AM BST
    Thanks for looking into it!

1) I wouldn't mind chipping in to help.

2) It shouldn't be a big problem for a programmer. I'm sure he'll know exactly what we're talking about.

Keep us updated.

<3 Angelyn
    • 2127 posts
    April 12, 2008 1:03 AM BST
    Thanks girls, I'll ask Eric, our programmer, to take a look at your comments next week and we'll see if we can afford to have some changes made.

We'll have to save up for a while though so it probably won't happen straight away.

Hugs,

Katie x
    • 2463 posts
    April 12, 2008 2:20 AM BST
    I've got a good idea - if you girls want all these updates, why not chip in to help pay for them?