What's more important?

• 448 posts
    May 11, 2008 5:53 PM BST
    Being that all are important, and knowing that few can have everything, what is more important? Is it to be accepted as a woman or to be found attractive as a woman. Which would you truly wish given the choice. Would you prefer the loving embrace of your family or acceptance in the workplace where you can provide for yourself and make your own life. Would you follow this path regardless of everything - the pain' the anguish, the heartache. What if you had no support and to continue would cost you everything. Would you continue? When you look in the mirror what do you truly see. Do you see a treacherous heart? Haven't we all betrayed something. You may strive to pass in public but do you pass in private. How often do you ask yourself these and related questions? Are they never out of your thoughts?
  • May 11, 2008 6:35 PM BST
    Porscha
    I think your questions could get a range of answers. I believe that age also gives a different view on the answers. I suppose after living 100% female for over 2 years now I know how I fit into society.

I am accepted as a woman although I'm not the most attractive. However that may just be my view. My friends often say that they would like a small bust like mine and that they are jealous of my pert behind.

I'm accepted by my father, brother and sister although my son and daughter want nothing to do with me. However my daughter does blame me for breaking up the family not the fact that I'm transsexual. I'm also fully accepted in the workplace, while from other stores in the company know about me and are also following my progress.

When you've wanted to be a female as much as I have you'll do everything possible to achieve that aim. I just wish more had been known when I was a lot younger.

When I look in the mirror, I see a bubbly chatty lady looking back at me. She's had her ups and downs and is enjoying life being a lady. Maybe I'm very lucky in having the support of a loving partner, great family members and fantastic work colleagues.

Would I have done it on my own? I think so but it would have been harder.

Alina xx
    • 236 posts
    May 11, 2008 11:54 PM BST
    Porsha.
    I am accepted as woman by all my fellow female work collegues. I am what I am in the looks department and doubt if heavy FFS would make me much more attractive that is "cant make a silk purse out of a sows ear".
    I know that everyone finds me attractive personality wise at work and out and about .
    Those who worry about their apperance as in "are they good looking , do I have a good figure etc,will never be satisfied or happy.
    If I did worry about my appearance I wouldnt walk out of my front door. I am not impressed by what I see in the mirror or in photo's but that is what i have and will make do with it.

An Attractive inner person will allways attract more freinds and people who wish to be with them than an empty shallow self centered beauty obssesed (does my face look good from this side or from this side ?) boring person.

we all age some age better than others but all outward beauty will fade in time but an inner beauty will remain and outlive any looks.

So I do find being accepted by other women as one of them, more important to how I feel.
    • 1912 posts
    May 12, 2008 12:35 AM BST
    Porscha, wow, so many honest questions again. I will give it my best shot at answering and definitely will start off by saying this is purely my opinion.

“what is more important? Is it to be accepted as a woman or to be found attractive as a woman”
    That one is easy, I just want to be accepted, attractive is a plus but not a requirement.

“Which would you truly wish given the choice. Would you prefer the loving embrace of your family or acceptance in the workplace where you can provide for yourself and make your own life.”
    Given a choice it would be my family without hesitation, however, I think your use of the words “truly wish” says it all that it really isn’t a choice. Instead we need to try and balance our lives just to survive and to some extent they go hand in hand.

“Would you follow this path regardless of everything - the pain' the anguish, the heartache. What if you had no support and to continue would cost you everything. Would you continue?”
    You asked that as if it was a choice and it isn’t. I have experienced everything you mentioned and there is no question whether or not I would continue no matter what the circumstances, the simple answer is yes.

“When you look in the mirror what do you truly see. Do you see a treacherous heart? Haven't we all betrayed something.”
    Fact is I’m like every other person alive; I have good and bad days. Lately more often than not I see a happy woman because I have a wife who loves and accepts me. As for a treacherous heart, yeah I suppose so, because I constantly worry about hurting others.

“You may strive to pass in public but do you pass in private.”
    Rarely. I do have times that I ask myself how did you do that, maybe a good hair day or something and I honestly amaze myself, but more often than not I want to look better.

“How often do you ask yourself these and related questions? Are they never out of your thoughts?”
    All the time. I constantly second guess past decisions and try to rationalize new decisions. I am a firm believer that there is a huge difference between acting selfishly as some think you need to do, or acting in your best self interest which takes into consideration long term effects on you and those you love.

I want it all. For those that think they can be happy living F/T after losing everything; family, friends, job, then have at it. Not me, I want it all and won’t stop trying.

I hope I didn’t beat around the bush too much answering these. They are definitely not simple yes or no questions.

Hugs,
    Marsha

• May 12, 2008 7:49 PM BST
    HI Porsha,

To be accepted as a woman is my response.

With that said, every woman (genetic women included) want to be thought of as beautiful (even if they are not).
    Having a relationship with someone very close is also important. DOes this mean a love relationship? Perhaps, but
    more importantly is to have a true friend. As for our ability to provide for ourselves - Everyone wants to have a feeling of
    self worth, and being able to provide for ourselves contributes to our well being.

Hugz,
    MichelleLynn
    • 2017 posts
    May 11, 2008 9:00 PM BST
    For me, being accepted as a woman is the important factor, not whether someone finds me attractive or not. Realistically there is a limit I can go to regarding that but I certainly try.

As for following this path regardless, no, I can't do that. I have a wife and young children who didn't ask for any of this and I honestly believe that their feelings come way before my own. I can deal with it, they shouldn't have to.

Fortunately I live a pretty good compromise so I'm happy.

Nikki
    • 2068 posts
    May 12, 2008 11:23 PM BST
    To be happy in myself & accepted as a woman, is what i feel is more important to me. Whether i pass or not is another thing entirely but as long as i'm content with myself then who gives a fk what anyone else says.

Lol xxxxxxxx
    Anna-Marie