Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » Transgender Tips » dressing to look feminine

dressing to look feminine

Tags : None
  • Hi...
    A while ago there was a question about how one should choose clothes to emphasize the right parts, while de-emphasizing the masculine traits of: big hands, broad shoulders, thick neck, heavy ankles, etc. Since then I have found my copy of the book that answers it all! "Flatter your Figure", by Jan Larkey, 1991 is an absolute bible of how to dress. She tells how to analyze your own figure, giving codes to those areas that are either problems or assets. Then there is a graphic section describing necklines, hemlines, skirt shapes, pants, sleeves, shoes, and anything else that affect how you look when you dress - even colors and fabric patterns! It goes on to tell which figure attributes can be emphasized or diminished, depending on the style you choose.
    When I got the book, I studied it thoroughly, and have had no trouble feeling good about the way I look every time I dress. In drab I look like a fat old guy, but I have no trouble passing as a chic, confident woman when dressed! Once you have mastered her suggestions, you can develop your own style, but her hints are invaluable to any woman wanting to choose clothes to look her best.
    Has anybody else used this fabulous manual?

Karin
    Karin... ..keep smiling!
      July 5, 2008 2:15 AM BST

• Thanksfor thelink Sarah.

I ordered a copy yesterday.

For anyone who wants to get a copy, there's "loads" of options on Sarah's link to Amazon.

Hugs,
    Angela. xx.
    What matter if I stand alone? I wait with joy the coming years; My heart shall reap where it has sown, And garner up it's fruit of tears.
      July 12, 2008 3:20 PM BST
  • Thanks for the info. I will see if it is in my library :D

Stephenie
      January 3, 2010 6:03 AM GMT
  • Thanks Karen, I will order a copy from Amazon today.
    Anna
      June 7, 2010 3:20 AM BST
  • Speaking as a crossdresser, I think to be a convincing woman, it's best to wear clothes that reflect the age you are and the woman you're trying to convey.

For me, I would never wear a skirt shorter than knee length and prefer calf length skirts. I am thankfully blessed with women's legs, so I could wear my skirts shorter but choose not to as I am trying to be a smart lady late 30s/early 40s.

I would never wear low cut tops, and would rather go for a chunky ladies sweater right up to the neck. I have a normal neck, but it looks so much nicer, because you're trying to cut down that wide chest and shoulder area often found on men.

I normally wear pencil skirts, or knife pleat skirts, and modest court shoes, too, which makes me average women's height 5 feet '9.

Thankfully, I have small hands so they're not the issue either.
      June 29, 2010 10:15 PM BST