Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » Polly Ticks » Another threat to freedom?

Another threat to freedom?

Tags : None
  • I don't know how many of you saw this news article http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/h[...]627.stm about the new proposed database of phone calls and internet activity from the Communications Data Bill.
    I think this is an unwarrented invasion into people's privacy especially given the government's record on not being able to keep information secret.
    I fully expect that there are sufficient security establishments that keep an eye on phone, email and internet traffic already to be able to pick up on potential terrorist or security threats so I don't understand how this database can be justified on these terms.
    Are we heading into a more and more Orwellian society - and what impact would that have on our way of life?
    My own opinion is that the more we as a world go down the route of stricter and stricter security measures and removal of those rights that our ancestors fought so long and hard for, the more the terrorist has won and the less freedom we have.
    What do you think?
    Andrea xx
    Do what you have to, to be who you are.
      July 16, 2008 2:52 PM BST

• Andrea,

Funnily enough, I was just catching up with this story a few minutes ago (after a few days at work, with little time to keep up to date with much more than the headlines).

At present, from what I read in a couple of on-line reports, one "good point" in the reports, is a quote from the Information Commissioner, Richard Thomas.

He said that whilst he understood that "targeted interventions" were "invaluable" in the fight against terrorism and serious crime, he warned that, such a data-base in the hands of the Government was "a step too far for the British way of life. .............. Do we really want the Police, Security Services and other organs of the State to have access to more aspects of our private lives?!!"
    "Even with the best of intentions, there were too many implications for such a wide-ranging database, that could be accessed by so many law enforcement agencies".

So, at least there's one "voice of reason" out there, in a position of some influence, that has immediately spoken out against this proposal!

We'll see how this develops.
    It could be like most other Gordon Brown announcements .......... Announce one day, then three days later, realise that it's unworkable/illegal/or just plain stupid, and quietly brush it under the carpet, and forget about it !

Hugs,
    Angela. xx.
    What matter if I stand alone? I wait with joy the coming years; My heart shall reap where it has sown, And garner up it's fruit of tears.
      July 16, 2008 3:16 PM BST