Who's to blame

• 1912 posts
    July 24, 2008 4:36 PM BST
    I heard an interesting story on the radio yesterday that worldwide the price for gas before taxes is about the same, approximately $3.50u.s. per gallon. The balance everyone sees at the gas pump is taxes and in the places you hear about low prices it is because of government subsidies.

So the question is, can you really blame the oil companies for the high prices? Another question is , do you feel the taxes you are paying on gas is being put to good use?

Personally I blame the politicians because they have allowed the environmental lobbyist to dictate legislation which has complicated bringing new energy to the market. I am not against getting away from fossil fuels, but until we actually have alternatives we need to exploit all currently available resources. Basically I believe in supply and demand. The environmentalist and politicians have limited the supply even as demand increases.

As for taxes, I believe there isn't a tax that politicians don't love. They always want more and can find ways to spend it while the rest of us live on budgeted incomes. It would be nice if we could tell our employers we want a new TV so we except more pay on the next paycheck.

Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 1195 posts
    July 24, 2008 9:08 PM BST
    Nice thread but - we've had alternative fuel for some time now - CNG or compressed natural gas has been available since the 80s. The "fuel" companies weren't interested so nothing was done about it. I see some municipalities have switched their vehicles to CNG and some bus line too. All it take is a new carborator and a place to keep the tank. The US federal tax on gasoline is only 18cents. Also don't overlook the fact that the CEO of Exxon retired last year with an annual of millions....so who's kidding who?
    I agree with you about politicians- they do like to be on the take. "We've got the best government money can buy."
    But I wouldn't have it any other way....would you?
    • 1912 posts
    July 24, 2008 9:37 PM BST
    Mary,
    You seem to want to blame the millions the CEO gets, if you lowered their retirement to $1, the price per gallon of gas would only reflect a decrease in the .001 cent per gallon range. The oil companies have an 8% profit right now. Add in state and local taxes and government makes more per gallon than the oil companies.

You bet there are alternatives like compressed natural gas. But don't blame gov't for holding that back because of lack of taxes. If people want it, gov't wants it taxed. Just like smoking, they don't want to ban it when the taxes from cigarette sales are enormous.

Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 315 posts
    July 27, 2008 10:23 AM BST
    Hi Marsha .................

I know that, historically, petrol (gas) in the US has always been considerably cheaper, than here in Ireland & UK.

I was just wondering, because of the increases lately in prices, what the current price at the pump is for a litre of petrol/gas in the US.

Here in Ireland a litre is currently $1.62
    And in the UK it's currently $2.18.

How do these compare to you?

BTW .............. since Irish prices are considerably cheaper than UK prices at the moment, if you travel North, to the border with Northern Ireland (part of the UK), the queues outside all the petrol stations south, but near the border are huge at times! People coming down to fill up with "cheap" petrol, from areas close to the northern side of the border.
    And, as we're all part of the EU now, there is no such thing as a "physical" border ! The only wat to tell that you've "crossed" into another country is that the roadsign change !!

Hugs,
    Angela. xx.
    • 1912 posts
    July 27, 2008 11:55 AM BST
    1 litre = .2642 gallons
    so $4.00 per gallon gas would mean $1.06 per litre. A Litre is closer to a U.S. quart which there are 4 quarts to 1 U.S. gallon.

Becasue different states have there own gas taxes we have the same issue here in the states. I live across the river from South Carolina where gas is a few cents less per gallon.

Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 2017 posts
    July 24, 2008 8:28 PM BST
    I know I'm in a minority of maybe one when I say that I don't care how much fuel costs and I never have. In my logical little brain, I need fuel to make the car go, so I either put some in and go where I want, or I don't, and I either don't go anywhere or I find some other means, which will most likely be more hassle than it's worth to me.

There are lots of alternative fuel sources available but they won't become commonplace until there is a real need, at which time they will 'almost magically' be invented. (Such a cynic)!

As for tax, I'm just waiting for the introduction of a tax on all the tax that we pay. It seems to me that the higher my salary, the less I actually 'earn' (in what I take home). Just when I think I'm doing okay a new tax comes along and snatches the money.

Richard Branson had the right idea. Buy your own island and make your own rules!!

Who's coming with me?

Nikki
    • 2017 posts
    July 27, 2008 5:21 PM BST
    The good ol' UK once again shows itself to be charging way too much for it's consumer goods. Some things will never change.

Nikki
    • 734 posts
    July 28, 2008 11:24 PM BST
    Hi Marsha,

Absolutely agree that its the government that rakes it in when it comes to petrol.

Whilst it fluctuates a bit up and down the UK, the cost of fuel at the average supermarket has just come down to £1.14 [unleaded] per litre.

By my reckoning you're paying about £0.53 per litre - lucky girl! [we had nationwide road protests a while back when fuel went up to £0.90 per litre - oh for the good old days!]

Much love

Rae xxx