Driving

• 1195 posts
    July 24, 2008 9:17 PM BST
    Question: Have you driving habits changed?
    Reason: My SO and I discussed cutting out extra trips to the store, etc. Unfortunatly, the nearest grocery store is 6 miles away (round trip)- so we're trying. (My mother used to say that to me "You're very trying.")
    • 8 posts
    July 24, 2008 10:18 PM BST
    Yes, car pool to work, plan trips to shop limiting the running back and forth just when ever.
    • 1912 posts
    July 24, 2008 10:39 PM BST
    Mary,
    I think I have always tried to drive reasonably efficient so I would have to say I have not changed my habits at all. Also I have two jetskis that we take out that you would think they had a garden hose for the fuel lines. The jetskis are our entertainment so fuel prices are irrelevant.
    Marsha
    • 871 posts
    July 25, 2008 2:11 PM BST
    i can safely say that the fuel crisis has not affected my ability to drive everyone up the wall!
    • 16 posts
    July 25, 2008 4:51 PM BST
    Since I got my Toyota Prius, my driving habits are changing. It gets around 48 City/ 45 Highway but there are driving techniques that I need to relearn that will allow me to push the MPG up over 50 MPG and closer to 60 MPG City..
    BTW noticed that the COKE trucks are going Hybred. Saw one yesterday here in Dallas, TX.
  • July 30, 2008 9:19 AM BST
    Alan maintained a clean driving licence but Alina has 3 points on hers for speeding.
    • 1195 posts
    July 30, 2008 3:56 PM BST
    Alina That point system sounds different from ours. Does it cost in fines?
    Here in TX we're "supposedly" allowed to go 10% over the limit and not be stopped. If we are stopped it costs $90.00 for the first ten miles over the limit and then progresses from there. Speeding can be expensive.

PS You take care of yourself - you're still on the recovery list - right?
    hugs
    Gracie
    • 364 posts
    August 1, 2008 5:24 AM BST
    The fuel crisis has not affected my style of living. However I now walk into town 3 times weekly with my backpack for groceries etc, a return trip of 8 kms. The exercise is improving my fitness and I feel the better for it.
    • 2017 posts
    July 24, 2008 9:35 PM BST
    Mary, I guess you mean in response to the fuel 'crisis'? In which case, no, I haven't made any changes in my driving habits.

Nikki
    • 2573 posts
    August 1, 2008 5:01 AM BST
    Actually, I developed fuel economy habits back in the Seventies gas crunch and never dropped them. Alas, there is little I can do to improve them other than to shop online, which is often cheaper than shopping in a store. I make shopping lists/trip goals and try to get it all done at once. I also hit places if I happen to drive by on another errand. Since I don't enjoy driving, I don't make unnecessary trips, though I may have to drop occasional aimless drives at night just to get out.....when I get another car.