The shock of telling my dad

• 1912 posts
    July 25, 2008 11:57 PM BST
    I decided it was time to come out to my dad Wednesday night. I have mentioned numerous times how I felt my dad was TG, maybe even TS, but even believing that, I have been afraid to bring it up. I wanted so bad to tell him when just the two of us took a trip to Orlando, Florida back in January. Plenty of opportunities, but never did out of fear. Now that I'm out to the most important people in my life, my wife and kids, it was time to tell him.

So I called my dad. After talking about the latest goings on, I saw and opening and asked if he had more time to talk. I got the yes so the first thing I asked was does he know what TG is. Lots of hesitation and out came a "what?" I said I'm TG and seeing a doctor. Then he said there is something he needs to tell me. Turns out he is TS and has been on hormones since 1993. Because of my mother he kept things hidden. Also he was afraid, hmm, like the rest of us. We ended up having a great talk and I can't wait to talk again with him. Geez, all these years waisted hiding things.

I can't be the only TS with a TS parent but I imagine it is rare. I'm curious to know if anyone else here has a parent that is TG or suspects a parent is.

Love,
    Marsha

• 734 posts
    July 26, 2008 1:36 AM BST
    That is such a wonderful and amazing thing.

On the one hand, wonderful that you are receiving such positive responses and on the other, amazing that your Dad's TG/TS. I'm really interested to know how many others have found themselves in the same situation.

And, whilst there may have been many 'wasted' years, I rather suspect there's going to be many more that are positive, supportive and loving.

So happy hunni.

Much love to you and your family.

Rae xxx
    • 2463 posts
    July 26, 2008 1:40 AM BST
    That is some story, Marsha! Wow! I hardly know what to say. Good luck to both of you!
    • 2573 posts
    August 1, 2008 4:51 AM BST
    Marsha,

Isn't it a wonderful feeling when you are courageous and bring happiness into TWO people's lives? Good for you girl. Give our love to your father.