On Hormones over 50 years age ?

• 1 posts
    August 12, 2008 7:15 AM BST
    I'm over this age and I went finally to hormones 6 months ago. Well it is going quite well but sometimes I guess if over 50 there could be health complications firstly and at which poit there will be a good change. I bring this question to Tranny with this age and personal experience.
    Thank you for your answers.
    • 1912 posts
    August 12, 2008 12:03 PM BST
    Danyela,
    As with any medication it is important to read the instructions and know the possible side effects so you can recognize problems should they occur. You made no mention of having a doctor so I hope you have one or atleast make your GP aware of what is going on.

As for increased risks for those over 50, the only thing I have come across is using oral forms of estradiol can potentially be tough on the liver which also increases the risk of blood clots, DVT. You are probably aware of the "labs" that are usually mentioned with HRT and one of the important ones is a liver function test. Also as with most medications, alcohol and smoking are a no no, uhm let's just say moderation is always good.

I hope this helps and I wish you a happy and safe journey.

Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 1083 posts
    August 12, 2008 2:33 PM BST
    Danyela--

First of all, welcome to TrannyWeb. You'll make some good friends here, and find more answers than you knew you had questions....

You don't mention what hormones or dosage you're taking. That makes it difficult to determine what to watch for. I also trust you're under a doctor's care, and will be having regular exams. The effects of hormones are permanent after 6-8 months--and if something gets damaged, that's forever as well. Marsha's right--moderation is good, and not taking massive doses of your hormone (unless your doc advises you to do so) is also not wise. Your body will take what it can use, and then try to flush the rest.

On the other hand, starting on hormones is a big step on your journey. It is not something one starts as a lark; it requires much thought in advance. It is a big step, and I get a sense this is not something you decided to do on the spur of the moment.

I am glad you've chosen to share some of your journey here with us. Make yourself at home here!

Luv 'n hugs,

Dr. Mina Sakura
    • 23 posts
    August 12, 2008 6:34 PM BST
    hi as with all medication thre are risks but as long as you are supevised by a doctor and having reguler blood tests .
    with my own hormones my gender doctor changed my estradiol from oral to transdermal as this reduces risks to the liver.
    best wishs paula
  • August 13, 2008 9:25 AM BST
    I've been on prescribed hormones since Easter 2006 with no problems. When I had to go off them for the 6 weeks prior to my op I did have some pretty rough withdrawal symptoms - morning sickness, fainting, hot flushes. I've been back now for a couple of weeks and will be on them for the rest of my life.
    As long as you have medical supervision there should be no reason why they should be a problem.
    By the way I'm 58 years old.

Alina
  • August 13, 2008 9:25 AM BST
    I've been on prescribed hormones since Easter 2006 with no problems. When I had to go off them for the 6 weeks prior to my op I did have some pretty rough withdrawal symptoms - morning sickness, fainting, hot flushes. I've been back now for a couple of weeks and will be on them for the rest of my life.
    As long as you have medical supervision there should be no reason why they should be a problem.
    By the way I'm 58 years old.

Alina