Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » Hormone City » pill intake method

pill intake method

Tags : None
  • Is it safe to take oral estrogen as a suppository? I ask this because I read it is better to have estradiol enter the bloodstream directly instead of injested.
    ~Lissy
      August 22, 2008 2:41 AM BST
  • My initial response is that it has not been sufficiently studied and that their MIGHT be increased dangers such as bowel cancer associated with this method of taking estrogen. It's also not clear what effect this could have on the intestinal mucosa. Nasal sprays can effect the nasal passages. Taking ethanol, for example, by inhalation or rectally could result in a much larger dose reaching the blood supply much faster with unexpected results/dosages. I suspect an ounce of ethanol inhaled would result in instant illegal or fatal levels of blood alcohol.

Apparently, SOME FORMS of Progesterone have been given rectally. You might want to check this article which I cannot open until i reinstall windows.
    http://camelot.lfhk.cuni.[...]ion.doc

Hormones are very powerful drugs. They have potentially serious/deadly effects. They should be taken under a doctor's supervision so that periodic blood tests can be run to avoid complications. If you are taking them under the supervision of a doctor, ask your prescribing physician. If you are not taking them under supervision of a doctor and by prescription be aware that the quality control may be poor and therefore the dosages may vary markedly. Under these conditions use extreme caution if you decide to take them, even by the usual route. You might ask the company that makes them for a product insert that describes the drug in detail and/or check a Physicians Desk Reference and Pharmacopia. Nurses study for years to learn the correct administration of medications and their effects. There is a reason for this. Use caution and good judgement.
    "A live lived in fear is a life half-lived." - Native American proverb. "Inside every man is a woman who was drowned in testosterone before birth". - Wendy Jeanette Larsen "It is better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you're not." - Andre Gide (French writer)
      August 22, 2008 6:08 AM BST
  • Agreed. I would like to have doctor's supervision but being in Canada, the regular course is to wait a full year while living as a woman before even beginning hormones. I don't understand that reasoning. I have acquired them on my own but at the same time I don't want to risk my health. Thanks for the info though Wendy. I'll give that article a read..
    ~Clarissa
      August 28, 2008 10:53 PM BST
    3 1652 3‚ 0
    I take mine sublingually, hoping that some of the estradiol will enter the bloodstream directly and avoid the first pass of the liver. i wouldn't have thought it would be dangerous as a suppository, but I don't know for sure.
    xx
      August 29, 2008 12:03 AM BST
  • The problem of taking an oral estrogen pill rectally is that there is not enough moisture to allow the pill to dissolve in sufficient time to be absorbed properly. Progesterone, such as microgest is a gel tablet that will sufficiently be absorbed. You are trying to reinvent the wheel. Either take the pills sublingually or talk to your doctor about going on patches or injections. There is also the estradiol gels such as Sandrena or Divigel which I used for about two years with good results. I am now on Estradiol Cypionate injections every two weeks which I love for the convenience and effectiveness and no roller coaster.
    Hugs,
    Marsha
      August 29, 2008 1:40 AM BST