SHAVING!!!

Tags : None
  • Does the itching--which as far as the lower body goes, can brutal at times, and never really goes way--ever subside? Is this period of adjustment type thing (I hope, I hope!)? I know being thorough in shaving and medicated powder help some. I also have an electrolysis device on the way, but at least until it arrives, HELP!!!
      September 21, 2006 6:08 PM BST
  • HI Lorna: I have found the only way NOT to itch is to shave everyday, whether it seems like you need it or not. If I let it go for a couple of days, it gets very itchy. Waxing also helps as it takes longer to regrow. Hope that helps a little.
    remember to tell the special people in your life, just how much you care....
      September 21, 2006 9:22 PM BST
  • That is the best point: do it daily.

I've been shaving off my body hairs (except the arms, I keep those trimmed to about 1/2 " and bleach them weekly or so) for years. The best thing I've found is a men's wet/dry rotary razor in the shower (like a Norelco). An electric doesn't leave the end of the hair shaft as "pointy", so when they grow out throughout the day, they don't prick and itch so much, especially in places where things get confined, shall we say... And, I've found that the rotary shave head gets closer than a foil head, thus, less likelihood they'll get long enough in a day to prick and irritate you.

Use a triple antibiotic at any spot where there will be pressure on the skin: bikini line from thigh rubbing against groin, wherever your panties are elasticized, etc. On some tighter-fitting-waisted pants, I even put a bit on my belly (darn thing's getting bigger, but the pants aren't... ) where the pant waist line will be tight. That way, when the hairs do grow out during the day(s), if they do get pushed back down onto the skin and prick it, they will not create as much irritation or ingrown hairs.

This has worked for me for years. The hormones I take have also heled a bit in slowing the growth, but the hair shafts are still as thick as they ever were except on the legs. Those are getting finer and sparser.

I believe there are some other forum topics on this if you go back and do a "search the forums" thing.

Just one caution: do NOT use an electric men's razor under the arms or on the privates, unless you like bleeding and pain. They will tug too much on the delicate skin. Use a Fresh, Sharp, Clean triple blade razor and don't apply much pressure. let the new blades do all the work.

For underarm itchies, use Dove's sensitive skin moisturizing antiperspirant. It's the best I've found.

Also, use a hair-growth minimizing, oatmeal moisturizer. Aveeno makes a good one for all over use after you get out of the shower.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Kari
      September 22, 2006 4:02 AM BST
  • Thanks again Kari. You're a doll. These are wonderful suggestions; the one(s) that I try different kinds of razors/shavers is particularly one that I may not have thought of myself.
      September 22, 2006 10:19 AM BST
  • Yes, thank you Jackie. I have figured out that I pretty much have to shave constantly. I largely use razors in the shower every time I take one. Also, and alternative to shaving is probably the way to go. The device I'm getting actually uses "rapid turning tweezing discs". The claims are that it can prohibit hair growth for up to six weeks (!!!) and can be used for the face (!). The least I can do is to keep you ladies posted on this.
      September 22, 2006 10:41 AM BST
  • That sounds like an epilator, Lorna. I have a Braun which I use on my arms and legs. You have to remember that female hair is quite different, and generally grows slower than ours, so don’t expect to be hair free for six weeks even after plucking, whether by waxing, tweezing or using an epilator. I use mine once every week or fortnight, and if you want really smooth legs you’ll still have to go over them with a razor (preferably a day or two later) as some very short hairs will be missed, and some longer ones might be snapped off instead of plucked out.
    The epilator really hurts at first, but it does get easier. Don’t use it on long hairs, TOO painful. You can use it on your bikini line, if you’re careful; always have the skin stretched, or else it will tug and hurt even more.
    I always get ingrowing hairs in certain places, so I’m avoiding epilating there now, shaving or using a cream instead. But it can still be a problem however I remove the hair. Best way I’ve found to restrict ingrown hairs is to use an alcohol gel straight after and for the next few days, it stops the follicles getting infected and helps the new hair to grow through without getting trapped under the skin, exfoliating helps too.
    I simply can not shave every day, anywhere! My skin just doesn’t like it.
    I’m thinking of buying a Vector electrolysis machine, anyone ever tried one of those?
    xx
      September 22, 2006 1:12 PM BST
  • Ohhh, sh...I mean, ahh, yes. The Braun epilator. You gotta love this little gem. I have one.

Rather than reinventing the wheel, here's the link to my first experiences of having my hair ripped out at 60 MPH.

http://www.sakuramina.com/id102.htm.

Enjoy!

Luv 'n hugs,

Dr. Minako Sakura
    "Almost-Angel, T-Girl Genius, and Ultra-Flirt"
    Living as the woman I am!
      September 22, 2006 11:19 PM BST
    I too have one of these devices. The concept SEEMS good but I've found like the other girls that the results weren't particularly good given how much the whole process hurt. I do do the back of my fingers and hands with it though. This I can take and it keeps them smooth for some days longer than shaving.
    Life is the barter of dreams for memories.
      September 23, 2006 6:20 AM BST
  • Yes, I use the epilator not only for the back of my hands and fingers, but for the wrists. What it does also, that you can't do any other way, is it THINS the hair on my arms! I use rapid passes on my otherwise hairy arms, and soon I have only a light growth left, which passes well as feminine, but doesn't look odd when I am in drab, either.
    Karin... ..keep smiling!
      September 23, 2006 7:36 AM BST
  • Lorna, I tried epilators and the results were disappointing so I went back to shaving. I have to say though that except for the first few times, there is no more soreness or itching. I wet shave always and then use a moisteriser afterwards. Works for me.
    Every woman is beautiful, some show it with their faces, others show it with their hearts.
      September 24, 2006 8:30 PM BST
  • Best thing I can say is give up the blade and wax every thing or go to your laser center (a medical one if poss) and get rid of it for good.

Love Sara
    Life is to short to be sad and cry. Bring out your inner Joy. Smile in the sun and enjoy life. Blessed be.
      September 25, 2006 9:50 AM BST
  • I have had a war going on against my facial hair for the last 3 years or so. Most of my warfare has been needle epilation, because the dark hair is gone with lasers long ago. My cosmetologist says I probably have only some 500 pieces left, some active and some of them passive. All of them very thin and colourless...but annoying. Before my epilation day I let them grow about 5 days, and you really hardly see them at all. But they are there. And after the session my face is full of red swollen spots for the next 24 hours.
    My arms and legs have become practically hairless with the hormones, I think I have there less than women in avarage...

Laura
      September 25, 2006 10:16 AM BST
  • Hi Girls,

Put me down as one that likes this little device. I have used this little thingy twice now and I'm still as quite pleasantly surprised at just how little pain and discomfort there is. In fact the only real discomfort--no, it should NOT be used on the privates and under the arms--was when I used it on my face, although for me this was bearable (and my facial skin is more than a little sensitive) considering the benefits. On the down side: the device was, especially at first, not as effective as I might have hoped, but this improved with more proper technique. I certainly consider an epilator a good, less frequent, etc. alternative to shaving. For those who have experienced a high degree of pain or discomfort: (1) the first thing the sales person said on to me on the phone when I ordered the device was to read the directions thoroughly and prepare the skin properly, “or it WILL hurt”. (2) Proper technique is means a great deal as far as effectiveness and pain reduction. (It will grab and pull at times if proper technique is not applied.) (3) Certain brands are undoubtedly better than others. I am happy enough with my Emjoi. (4) It could be an individual thing. Do to your advice and this little gizmo; my problems with excessive itching are all but total history. Thanks for all the help.

LOVE YOU ALL,
      September 27, 2006 7:13 AM BST