Firefox 3 and TW menus

• 21 posts
    September 7, 2008 12:02 PM BST
    hi girls, I wonder if anyone else has this problem

I have been using firefox browser for some time now and it works really well

I recently upgraded to firefox 3, and although it too works really well. it seems the menus at the top of TW don't work anymore .

These are the pink ones at the top of the screen. If I click on one, the pulldown list appears and the highlight follows my mouse, but if I click on an item - nothing happens.

I can navigate around the site with the list of links that appears at the bottom of most pages, but that doesn't take you everywhere (for example, I can't get to the "whose online" page)

Has anyone else seen similar problems or even maybe got a solution ?
    • 338 posts
    September 11, 2008 5:50 PM BST
    had ff3, and ff2 before it here. but I've had "flashblock" installed for so long I forgot the site had menus. ever since the google friendly selection of page links and the site map have been up and running can't say I've missed them.

IETab is an interesting solution, but its running internet exploiter so all the usual risks are there, and its a windows only solution (ok not an issue for most people).

not tried chrome, its about three years too late, fire fox is "good enough" and the few sites that don't like it I find Safari works well enough on.

amazing how many sites have issues with firefox now, its always flash or javascript related. normally on sites stuffed with ads that like to make sure if you block the ads nothing works.. yeah whatever.

odd that Tweb is hit as well, but def congrats to Katie, this site works perfectly well on ff with the various blockers installed, the menus die, but are not needed. the chatroom is another thing but meah, I can work round that.

I'd suggest upgrading to the most recent version of flash, but sometimes you actually need an older version..

ho hum
  • June 13, 2009 12:16 PM BST
    All fine beside http:// http://www.tranny[...]b.shtml where the top menu is not the same as for the other pages.

xxx Natalie
    • 1195 posts
    June 13, 2009 4:19 PM BST
    Works for me Katie

I really don't understand how it all works - just that it does work - that's what keeps me smiling.
    hugs
    Gracie
    • 2573 posts
    September 7, 2008 6:38 PM BST
    I use FF3.01 and have no problems currently but in the past refreshing has helped with this. It has to do with the app used for the menus and ads in most cases. As always, having the latest incarnation of Flash is always a good idea. Sometimes I just have had to lift my skirts out of the mud and use IE6 for those tasks. A distasteful experience to be sure. Plus the increased RAM demands of IE are rough on my old PIII laptop. The main reason for FF, of course, is it's personal, simple customizing trait and sticking your thumb in M$ arrogant eye.
    • 530 posts
    September 7, 2008 10:40 PM BST
    I have used FF since 1.5 something, and have found the best way to overcome the type of problems you describe is to use the IE Tab extension. Sometimes TW will work ok with straight FF, sometimes not.
    This extension has never let me down on any site that 'prefers' IE, rendering all buttons clickable when they don't work in FF.
    BTW, have you tried the new Google Chrome Browser? Iit seems to work with everything so far, it's very fast, but not particularly customisable yet.
    • 2573 posts
    September 11, 2008 5:30 PM BST
    Chrome is still a bit rusty :-) but will clearly meet the needs of some people and tests superior in performance in some areas. My privacy and security concerns, however, steer me away from that product. As much as I like Google, the company clearly has a penchant for harvesting private data to market.

Anyway, call me a Cyber-Hippie, I like Firefox for social reasons as well.

Thanks for reminding me of the IE tabs, I forgot them after my last reinstall of Windows.
    • 2127 posts
    June 13, 2009 11:44 AM BST
    Hi girls, I know I'm now replying to a rather old post but it is relevant. We had a number of problems with our old Flash drop-down menus, not least the fact that they were very difficult for us to update behind the scenes.

However, the worst problem was that some users had difficulty using them - mainly Firefox users because Firefox does not yet support the Flash Transparency feature.

We have now fixed this problem by removing the old Flash menus and replacing them with new CSS based drop-down menus which work well with all platforms.

Hope that helps.

Hugs,

Katie x
    • 530 posts
    June 21, 2009 6:04 PM BST
    FYI only, really

I just went to FF 3.5 RC2, and it works fine as well.