What about the racist and sexist

• 1912 posts
    September 9, 2008 9:32 PM BST
    Ok, here is another question in regards to the 2008 election.

As it stands right now, the U.S. will either have it's first african american president or its first woman vice president. How much of a factor if any do you think anti black racists or anti women sexists will play in this election?

Personally I think only the racist will play a role which will favor the republicans in the end. 90% of blacks always vote democrat anyways, so there is nothing for democrats to gain with a black candidate. Unfortunately in our real world, society is NOT colorblind as it should be. I think this hurts Obama. I don't see much of an issue with republicans being sexist, just that racist democrats just won't go vote.

Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 1912 posts
    September 10, 2008 4:15 AM BST
    Nikki, being that you are not so much into politics I think that shows your opinon is far less biased. Now I could have voted for a Condolesa Rice/Sarah Palin ticket and been happy with both a black and two women.

It almost looks like the democrats are upset that the republicans chose a woman to be on the ticket. The personal attacks on her and her family make you wonder about the democrats true feelings towards women in politics. Somehow the impression they give is it is ok for women if they are democrats, but not if they are republicans. Is that hypocritical?

Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 1195 posts
    September 10, 2008 4:14 PM BST
    My only comment is "no comment."
    I still like you
    hugs
    Gracie
  • September 10, 2008 4:25 PM BST
    I think the democrats have a issue with her politics, not with her gender:

http://www.ontheissues.org/Sarah_Palin.htm

just to pull out some of the more conentious issues he has supported:

Opposes stem cell research. (Aug 2008)
    Pro-life. (Nov 2006)
    Vetoed bill denying benefits to gays, as unconstitutional. (Aug 2008)
    Marriage only be between and man and a woman. (Nov 2006)
    Ok to deny benefits to homosexual couples. (Aug 2006)
    No spousal benefits for same-sex couples. (Jul 2006)
    Opposes legalizing marijuana, but meth is greater threat. (Aug 2006)
    Smoked marijuana when it was legal under Alaska law. (Aug 2006)
    Teach creationism alongside evolution in schools. (Aug 2008)
    Supports teaching intelligent design in public schools. (Aug 2008)
    Opposed protections for salmon from mining contamination. (Aug 2008)
    Sue US government to stop listing polar bear as endangered. (Aug 2008)
    We must encourage timber, mining, drilling, & fishing. (Jan 2008)

• 1912 posts
    September 11, 2008 1:48 AM BST
    Anne, I don't want to argue but yeah, I agree with those. And I'm not alone.
    Hugs,
    Marsha

• 1083 posts
    September 18, 2008 4:14 PM BST
    Marsha--

Wouldja beleive I don't trust Obama OR McCain, don't care much for Palin, and can't stand Biden?

I know I have to vote for someone. I will vote--but that doesn't mean I have to like or respect myself the morning after....

Mina Sakura
    • 1912 posts
    September 18, 2008 8:05 PM BST
    Mina,
    I can totally agree with you there. Can we have a "do over" with all new candidates.

One other thing is that I don't think the young realize what the old democrat party was all about when JFK and the likes were around. John McCain makes JFK look like a far right christian conservative. I personally think it is great that we have progressed to having both a black and a woman honestly be considered for the highest office in our country. Democrat or republican, I would have preferred them to be more like JFK or Robert Kenedy.

Hugs,
    Marsha
    • 2017 posts
    September 9, 2008 9:50 PM BST
    From an outsiders point of view, I don't the US is ready to vote in it's first black president yet. I think you're right and the election is a foregone conclusion. Plus having a female VP strengthens their position with female voters. Maybe.

Nikki