Homophones

Tags : None
  • I have a sort of a pet peeve, well, more of an obsessive-compulsive thing about spelling. When I read something containing spelling errors, I become distracted and annoyed, and sometimes tend to disregard the credibility of the writer’s content based upon what I often see as their inability to read and write. So intense is this obsession that I actually refuse to patronize businesses where I observe spelling errors on their signs, menus or other materials.

In the context of a handwritten note, it’s usually not terribly intense, and in the flurry of messages that fly by in a chatroom, typos are common. Anyone can make a typo, but typos and spelling errors can be easily identified by the spellcheck function of word processing software such as Microsoft Word when writing something that might be used in the conduct of business or something that we hope will be published. In this day and age, websites have practically replaced print publications, and website content is widely (and legally) considered to be published material. Maybe in the context of these forum discussions, it’s not so terribly important, but since many writers who post here feel strongly about the ideas they express, writing for forum posts can be a valuable exercise in improving these aspects of our writing, thus enhancing the credibility of the ideas we express here and elsewhere.

There are those errors that will not be identified by spellcheck, notably, homophones. Homophones are words that sound alike, but have different spellings and meanings. “Here, hear.” “To, too, two.” “There, their, they’re.” “Its, it’s.” These are examples of commonly misused homophones. The grammatical errors associated with the misuse of these words are identified in Microsoft word by a wavy green underline. Right clicking on the word will offer a suggestion for grammatical improvement that is usually correct. This can be one way of improving the correct use of these words, but we don’t always have the luxury of writing and editing in MS Word, so it can be helpful to perform some remedial exercises that can help us to improve the quality of our writing. Here are some links to sites that can help us to deal with common homophone errors:

http://www.chompchomp.com[...]e01.htm

http://www.wisc-online.co[...]ABC1202

http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~[...]ar.html

http://www.esldesk.com/co[...]ar.aspx

http://www.wsu.edu/~brian[...]ts.html

http://www.usingenglish.c[...]87.html

September 14, 2008 2:47 PM BST
  • Spelling differences between Her Majesty's English and the more refined version we use in the US are one thing, but to the best of my knowledge, the use of homophones remains consistent between the two dialects.

I also understand that it can be challenging for those who use English as a second language, so actually, some of the links I provided are from ESL instructional sites that may prove helpful to anyone interested in developing their ESL skills.

As for the superfluous "u," this is a holdover from WW II rationing, when "u's" were in short supply in the US, so FDR issued a proclamation restricting the use of the letter "u." This policy has come in particularly handy currently, as there has been a trend in price gouging on "u's" in the wake of the recent hurricanes.

BTW,

Main Entry: ri·dic·u·lous
    Function: adjective
    Etymology: Latin ridiculosus (from ridiculum jest, from neuter of ridiculus) or ridiculus, literally, laughable, from ridçre to laugh
    Date: 1550

September 14, 2008 4:13 PM BST
  • lol, you kind of asked for that one Carren !
      September 14, 2008 5:38 PM BST
  • I know my grammar often sucks nowadays. Once upon a time it actually wasn't bad, I even received and "A" in my college business english course. The teacher pulled me aside one day and told me that she knew I had no clue what I was doing but that I just naturally did it right. That was nearly 30 years ago and through lack of use and working in a fast paced business environment, many of those skills went out the door.

Given the time, I seriously do try and make an effort to correct grammar or misspellings, but often I'm responding to something shortly before I need to race out the door so errors do happen. And with that said, I say SO WHAT. Get a life if you can't handle it. Maybe ask for clarification if you are not sure what is being said. As I see it, it is more your problem than the writer's problem if all you can do is complain about grammar.

Hugs,
    Marsha
      September 14, 2008 6:02 PM BST
  • It can often be frustrating when readers are so obtuse as to miss the point of a forum post by overlooking clear and concise phrasing, specific wording and the occasional interjection of humour.

The English language is complex, containing the largest vocabulary of any of the world's languages, thus facilitating clear and concise expression. When properly used, it can be a powerful tool. When misused, it can reflect poorly upon the writer, and often be counter productive to their intent.

Many readers might be inclined to wonder just how much thought has been devoted to a particular idea when it has been carelessly expressed, bringing the validity of an idea into question.

Surely some of the youngsters here remember a fellow called Dan Quayle?
      September 14, 2008 6:54 PM BST
  • 2 2627
    To tell the truth I could care less what people think of my spelling. I write the way I talk if that's not good enough than don't read it.
    <p>Karen Brad</p>
      September 14, 2008 7:43 PM BST
  • rIte thats me lot no more contrabutionions to fhe forumns i got the ebbie jeebies now about being harested by the speech and gramer police.. Oh de shame, the absoloot shame of it al. peeps hanging themselves over a semi colon stop being so bombastic and superior. Some of us put up with bad grammer and spelling as we do with pomposity and bad manners.

:(
    Cristine Jennifer Shye.  B/L.  B/Acc
      September 14, 2008 8:08 PM BST
  • I have to agree with Robyn that it is both irritating and difficult to read anything where the correct spelling, punctuation and grammar are all neglected.
    In chatrooms and messengers this can be forgiven to an extent, as it is when holding a verbal conversation with friends. Then we have a visual or tonal clue to the feelings or the other person, and misunderstandings can be avoided. In chat, this can be alleviated by the use of 'smilies' and other well-known abbreviations such as 'LOL' for 'laughs-out-loud' to indicate the remark was not intended to offend.
    However, where the article is to be posted in a forum or similar, there is no such excuse. Anyone who is aware they have a problem with spelling can use Word or a similar program to write the piece, correct spelling errors then copy it into a post. TW even has a spell-checker built in! I don't care if the English grammar and spelling used is English, American, Australian or whatever, that is not the issue. Languages evolve, and this is an international site. If English is not your first language, (and we will all make allowances and try an offer constructive criticism), you can still use software to help you out, though I have found those whose first language is English are the often worst offenders.
    Punctuation and grammar are a little more difficult ot rectify. The tendency to use 'text' language, with curious and sometimes unintelligible abbreviations, few commas or full stops and often no capitals, is unforgivable. Again, when chat is moving on quickly, well-known 'options' are acceptable.
    The most important aspect in writing is the grammar. I have often initially misunderstood or misinterpreted the meaning of a post or reply due to the poor grammar used. If it is something of interest to me I will re-read the article to ensure I believe I have properly understood what the writer is actually saying. Then I can add my own comments secure in the knowledge I am replying to the post, and perhaps not offering praise or criticism where none is due.
    I make no claim to be perfect, and do sometimes misspell words, but I do read anything I write thoroughly before and after posting to ensure what I have written is what I meant to say.
    Sue. X Psychiatrists are like the eunuch in the harem. They know what transvestism is, they can describe it, they can demonstrate it, but they cant actually explain it!
      September 14, 2008 9:18 PM BST
  • English grammar can be a complex and befuddling maze of rules and exceptions, especially to the non native speaker. Most western languages determine the role of a word in a sentence through case, conjugation and declination, and many even dispense with the use of pronouns altogether in casual speech. This can make coming into the middle of a cnversation between two Russians a confusing challenge, but contributes much to the beauty of Russian and other European poetry, as the words can be arranged exclusively for the mellifluous effect without regard for syntax. Sadly, we do not havew this option available to us in English, so we must master the rules that govern our expression in this most animated tongue.

Again, though, MS Word can be a valuable tool. Word identifies words and phrases that might not be grammatically consistent, and upon right click, suggests different words or prases. It's not 100% accurate, as it is not always intuitive enough to determine the writer's intended meaning, but the suggestions it offers are often the better way of expressing an idea. I always keep a blank Word document open when composing in other applications, and if I am unsure about a matter of spelling or grammar, will dash off a word or line in the blank document, hit "Enter" and check my spelling or grammar.
      September 14, 2008 9:42 PM BST
  • Jeez, is my old principal a member here? Lighten up! It's like the 21st century, be glad we're not all texting

Becca
      September 14, 2008 9:56 PM BST
  • I feel that Robyn’s observations are valid, and share a frustration with an increasing lack of not only failure to use grammar, syntax and spelling properly; but with an apparently increasing lack of knowledge.
    Communication, in order to be successful, relies on conventions. Due to linguistic complexities, such conventions are necessarily numerous and can be complex. To ignore them is to take the risks of being misunderstood and having one‘s opinion disregarded.
    I also find the habit that seems to be increasing of communication being limited to two words, one dealing with one’s maternal parent, and the other with one’s personal relationship with her. Or, with the reduction of language to jargon especially in the form of acronyms. At times the combination of poor spelling, poor grammar and overuse of jargon makes the message incomprehensible. (I used to think ‘LOL’ meant, “Lots of luck.”)
    As to the question of ‘color’ versus ‘colour’, I assume that someone in the United States of America decided that ‘American’ had to be different from ‘English’. The choice of differentiation, however, was ill-considered as ‘ou’ is actually a diphthong affecting the pronunciation. Americans can spell ‘colour’ as ‘carrot’ and pronounce it ‘George’ for all anyone really cares, but they should not expect to be understood. It is also somewhat tacky for Americans, who arbitrarily changed such spellings, to ‘correct’ who use the original, accepted and proper spelling. It is particularly hard when the criticism comes from a nation still using the mediaeval Imperial System of Measures (with confusing modifications), when the rest of the world uses metric. (“My car gets 40 rods to the firkin, and I’ll keep it that way!”)
    Of course, to be fair, the English cannot speak or write English either; and never could.
    Unlike Karen, I do care what others think of my spelling. If I hope to be taken seriously and to have my opinion valued, then I should have the courtesy to express myself as clearly as possible. To be honest (again) I sometimes do fail to review what I have written and note significant lacunae or errors. At least I have the grace to be embarrassed.

Minerva
      September 14, 2008 10:31 PM BST
  • Robyn,

I mostly agree with your viewpoint regarding spelling, grammar, and the rampant misuse of homophones; it can be a big turn-off. Particularly if it's in an email from an admirer, he's not likely to get a response if he cannot communicate well.

However, I'm not going to let it annoy me too much, and pick apart the postings in the public forums, whether it's on Trannyweb or elsewhere. I'm well aware that the Internet is a global community that mostly blurs borders, cultures, and languages. The Internet seems to be predominately "english", however as noted, "English" is a second language, or even a third language for most of the planet.

As far as using Microsoft Word of another text editor, it's not a bad idea, but I have been using the Firefox browser that has a spell-checker built right in. Though it doesn't check grammar.

Nicole

P.S. Carrie, I simply adore the all of the extra letter U's in the Queen's English. I'll try to remember to insert them where they belong, if I realize (realise) they are absent.

Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. -- Edgar Allan Poe
      September 14, 2008 10:43 PM BST
  • I vote that we create a new forum called the "Perfect English Grammar" forum. Maybe a simpler name could be the "Nit Pickers" forum. I'm amazed at how macho some of you grammar nit pickers get. My female grammar teachers were never as bad as some of you.

Hugs or handshakes if that is more appropriate,
    Marsha

September 14, 2008 10:57 PM BST
  • I agree that languages, all languages, consist of a set of conventions meant to specifically convey specific ideas. Computer languages, for instance, can be a good example for the sake of discussion.

When writing in Java, C++, Basic, etc., a small syntax error in 1,000 lines of code can prevent the program from compiling. The machine says "What is this? I don't understand." A punctuation or spelling error might even produce something other than the intended result from the program, even if it does compile.

Similarly, "to" has a distinctly different meaning from "too," and the possibility exists that misuse of a homophone can change the meaning of a statement, conveying something other than the intended idea, even if spellcheck doesn't recognize (recognise) it as a spelling error.
      September 14, 2008 11:20 PM BST
    Oh God! I've died and I'm in Heaven!

I'm sorry Robyn, I'm yet to check out your links - I will - but it is so nice to see a thread veering towards a discussion of English and Grammar.

I read this thread from start to finish in one go. Sadly that means I've already forgotten and got confused over who posted what and said likewise. [Hey, I am a girl of a certain age...]

But I will say English is the greatest language in the world. Bar none. And that includes the variation used across the water.

American English started out primarily as a common language for a host of people from a wide variety of countries. English was their second - but shared - language. Hence the spellings that 'infuriate' those of us brought up with the Mother Tongue.

But the wonderfull thing about English is that it is completely robust and the greatest thief we have ever known.

There is nothing more English than a rendevous in a cul-de-sac, a primarily French language statement.

English eagerly accepts words from any country in the world and makes them its own. Many other languages cannot do that.

Spelling, of course, will be interesting. But language changes and English does that best. Have you heard a recording of Chaucer read in the accent of the day? I assure you you would'nt understand half of it!

And words change in their importance. The F word only became a swear word in the late 1800's. At a time when, apparently, the word 'pants' was taboo!

All part of life's rich lexicon.

And I love it!

Rae xxx
    www.raekelcou.com
      September 15, 2008 2:13 AM BST
  • I'm pretty easy going over language, grammar and spelling as long as it's not 'text - speak', I really hate that!

So the US spell things differently to the English, so what. Personally I find some of the extra bits in the English language unecessary, especially when it doesn't do anything. Sometimes they are nicer though, 'Night' just looks better than 'Nite' for example.

However, can someone please tell me the point of having a 'silent P' for instance. If it's not used, get rid of it!!!

Forget spelling, what about pronounciation? There is a village near where I grew up called 'Doughton', and would you believe it's pronounced 'Duffton'? So why isn't a 'Doughnut' a 'Duffnut'???

What is that about???

Nikki
    Every woman is beautiful, some show it with their faces, others show it with their hearts.
      September 15, 2008 10:13 AM BST
  • Good job you don't live in Kent Nikki! just a couple of the odd place names; Trottiscliffe, pronounced Trosley, Wrotham, Route-ham
    There's many more, I'm sure this happens every where just the same!

huggles

Becca
      September 15, 2008 10:35 AM BST
  • In America, "nite" would be just as incorrect as it would be in British English.
      September 15, 2008 11:08 AM BST
    I can't resist adding my two cents.
    The English language we speak is made up of 62 different languages; that's the last count I heard. If you read some of Tolkin's writings about language you'll understand how words adopted from one language to another kept the spelling but adopted the sound. For example: Smithwicks - an alcoholic beverage is pronounce "smithicks." Another- the Irish don't have the "th" sound in the begining of a word - it's replace with a simple "t" sound.
    I used to operate a teletype machine (an ancient devise) and I abbreviated words by leaving out the vowels.
    Nikki mentioned texting - ugh. Can't read it.
    No offense intended but you British girls have more slang which I would love to comprehend.
    Robyn you are correct the wrong homophone can be a distraction. When I see errors my brain is busy translating instead of just reading.
    I thinks that about all as Popeye would say.
    Marsha Anne - don't be picky.
    <p>If it isn't fun - don't do it.</p>
      September 15, 2008 3:21 PM BST
  • Mary - any slang that you aren't understanding, (and we do have a lot of it), feel free to ask and I'm sure someone will be able to tell you what it refers to.

Nikki
    Every woman is beautiful, some show it with their faces, others show it with their hearts.
      September 15, 2008 3:41 PM BST
  • Ladies, I wonder why it is so difficult for a discussion to take place here without people resorting to argumentum ad hominem abusive comments.

Disagree with the idea, don't attack the person. When you do that, you lose the argument because it's not an argument, it's an attack. We may have had to let our frustration turn to anger in the "outside" world, but here at TW you are free to simply state your frustration instead of turning it to anger. it's a gift. Embrace it.

As to the main topic.....I gave up when I realized that English is a living, evolving thing that changes with the environment and infusion of new words like crossbreeding a plant or animal. I will never get people to use fewer and less properly. Some just will not see that one is digital and the other analog. I've learned to live with it by accepting that language is not what was taught to me in school, a fixed thing, but a changing thing. A CLOCKWORK ORANGE showed this very nicely. With the Internet this will happen all over the world at an increasing rate. I find myself already using English (including Coc*ney...would you believe it TW won't let me use that word, lol), Scottish, American, 'strailian, German, French, Spanish (two forms), Russian, Latin, Greek and Japanese words. Of course nobody can understand Welsh but the Welsh. In the forums If I can understand what you mean, I'm happy. But I want my doctor or nurse or attorney to be EXACT in their language....that's one reason why Latin is still used in both fields. Sometimes I'm called The Grammar Nazi (after The Soup Nazi I suppose), but I really just do it as a joke now, if not educating a foreign speaker as some of them do for me.

My misspelling is harder for me to deal with than you. Until 13 yrs ago I was a perfect speller and perfect mathematician. After a head injury I became imperfect and lost the ability to notice when I was. Now I make mistakes that are very similar to dyslexia. I find it very irritating when others chide me for this. I earned the right when I had my head smashed against a steel door frame protecting a patient, in a fall, with my body. Now I can look right at my errors and miss them. Fortunately I retain the ability with other people's writings. Some of you who chided others in this thread have made the same errors you complained about in this very thread. Think about lightening up a little. By the way, my Firefox browser gives me correct spellings for American, and British if I click a little icon. It does this for many languages. Even in the TW Forums it works....if my brain does.
    "A live lived in fear is a life half-lived." - Native American proverb. "Inside every man is a woman who was drowned in testosterone before birth". - Wendy Jeanette Larsen "It is better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you're not." - Andre Gide (French writer)
      September 16, 2008 2:19 AM BST
    Wendy
    Back in the "olden days" when I used succinct words in writing business letters, I was told to stop by my boss, I was being accused of being abrupt and abusive.
    Ya just can't win.
    hugs
    Gracie
    <p>If it isn't fun - don't do it.</p>
      September 16, 2008 5:20 PM BST
  • Well, to keep this on track, I must say I usually do try to use spellchecker before posting anything, although not always. I also find that when touch typing my spelling gets mixed up a little because one hand is typing faster than the other!

It's not my fault!

Nikki

PS I also think my keyboard has a vendetta against me.
      September 16, 2008 6:20 PM BST
  • yeah well rite on an' all that my impreshun is like lots of gurls ere are tryin to show ow good they is at tutch tiepin no wor I meens?

Sorry,I just couldn't resist it...........In proper english english, I just wanted to say that I often have the feeling that some of us are trying to impress with their touch-typing ability..............or otherwise! Or could it be that they are trying to demonstrate their prowess in multi-tasking?
    There is one thing we can all be thankful for however is that dialect tends to be spoken rather than written.........Those of you who have seen,for example,written Geordie or ......Scots........will know what I mean.(Yes,I am aware that Scots is not so much an english dialect as a separate language)
    By the way Mary, it's Tolkien........

Cheers,

Lynn H.
    "It ain't what you do,it's the way that you do it............and that's what gets results!"
      September 16, 2008 6:50 PM BST
    Hey Nikki,

There's no need to worry about your silent P [and you can take that anyway you want to, lol].

Its simply an aspect of the way English naturally absorbs words from everywhere.

http://http://www.british[...]ers.htm

The above link explains it far more succinctly and intelligently than I could.

Much love

Rae xx
    www.raekelcou.com
      September 16, 2008 10:45 PM BST