Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » General Forum » Good Cops ? Bad Cops !

Good Cops ? Bad Cops !

Tags : None

• Hi Girls,

I've just got home after a few days at work, and the drive home was what could best be described as "interesting" ....to say the least !!

My drive to and from work takes me right across the City, so this evening, I was driving through the City Centre, when I came across a routine, random Police (Garda) vehicle check-point.
    As the queue was quite long, they were letting 4 or 5 cars go on, and stopping others at random. Just my luck .......... I was one of those told to pull over !!
    As I did so, I remembered that, although I've changed a number of my documents to Angela, my Driving Licence is still in my old male name! I hadn't changed it yet, as it's due for renewal soon anyway, and I thought I'd do them both at once! So, as I pulled over, another cop leaned down to the window and asked for my licence.
    Passing no comment, I handed it to him, and he took it, looked at it, bent down and looked at me again, and asked why I appeared so different to my licence photo ?!!

I already knew that there was no way I could "bluff my way" out of telling him the truth, so I just stated that I was TG, on hormones, and that I was now living full-time in my female gender!
    After a few seconds silence (to be expected, I suppose), he asked if I would mind waiting for a moment, while he dealt with the car behind? (As if I'd any choice!!).
    A couple of moments later he returned, with another of his colleagues, and ask me if I would mind answering a few questions ............ but, if I didn't want to, that was ok, and i could go!
    I was a bit intrigued by this ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, an option to answer questions or not ................ so I said I'd answer whatever he wanted!!
    They asked me about TGism, it's "treatment", etc., and how did it differ from TVism?
    I gave them as simple and clear answers as I could, and they both seemed genuinely interested, and were very polite throughout our chat (for, by now, that's what it had become!).
    After about 10 minutes, the other cops, who'd been continuing with the check-point came over and said that they were to move location, so the two I'd been talking to thanked me for my time, and asdked if I would mind giving them my phone-number, so they could pass it on to one of their Community Liaison Officers.
    They explained that they have a good "working relationship" with the Gay and Lesbian Communities, and through them, a contact to the TV community, but that, as far as they knew, there was no direct contact to the TG community!
    If I didn't mind, a Liaison Officer would ring me in the near future, to try and set up some sort of contact between the Garda and the TG community, so that we could explain our problems and concerns to them, and they could better understand the TG community, and "educate" better their "rank and file" in how to treat us, and to take note of out concens!

As any improvement in community understanding HAS to be a good thing, I agreed !
    We'll see what comes of it !!

So ............ Good cops / Bad cops ............... I think I certainly me a few of the "good ones" tonight !!

It made for a "more than interesting" drive home !!

Hugs,
    Angela. xx.
    What matter if I stand alone? I wait with joy the coming years; My heart shall reap where it has sown, And garner up it's fruit of tears.
      September 26, 2008 12:52 AM BST
  • Wow.
    I’ve always said, as have others, that the only way to make a difference is to get out there and be yourself; stand up and be counted. It’s the only way people will become educated.
    One doesn’t expect the police to start asking for your phone number though!
    Quite a turn of events, well done babe.
    xx
      September 26, 2008 2:04 AM BST
  • Well done Angela, this can surely only be for the better in the long run. Perhaps the worm is finally turning...............

Nikki

PS If it is just a date, make sure he brings the handcuffs!
    Every woman is beautiful, some show it with their faces, others show it with their hearts.
      September 26, 2008 9:45 AM BST
    Education,Education,Education. The more we educate people,the more they will understand us which will lead to more acceptance from the genereal public!!
    Hugs and kisses,
    Michelle xx
      September 26, 2008 11:40 AM BST

• Ehhhhhh, Nikki,

When you tell me to make sure that he brings his handcuffs, are you suggesting that I'D need them, to stop him running a mile !!!!!! lol.

Hugs,
    Angela. xxx.
    What matter if I stand alone? I wait with joy the coming years; My heart shall reap where it has sown, And garner up it's fruit of tears.
      September 26, 2008 11:54 AM BST
  • Oh well done
    And I am glad that there are at least a few good bobbies around, were not all bad you know.

The horizon looks bright, but there is still a long way to go before we get there ........................ (Lord Bernie)
      September 26, 2008 3:57 PM BST
  • Hi Angela,
    1st of all Thank You!!!!! It's how we represent ourselves that helps bring understanding!
    Being a good example for others and a impromptu ambassador for the TG community, you certainly made an impression. Thanks Again!!!!

Hugz,
    MichelleLynn

September 27, 2008 1:37 AM BST
    Hey!

Wow, thats the way things should go! So glad you had that experience.

As for the handcuffs...

:)

So much love.

Rae xxx
    www.raekelcou.com
      September 27, 2008 2:18 AM BST
  • Welcome to TW, Bernie. Why of course you are not all bad. Some of you are even TG.
    "A live lived in fear is a life half-lived." - Native American proverb. "Inside every man is a woman who was drowned in testosterone before birth". - Wendy Jeanette Larsen "It is better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you're not." - Andre Gide (French writer)
      September 27, 2008 4:05 AM BST
  • My only instance with the police was after my moment of stupidity earlier this year. The constable that came to see me in hospital asked me a few questions about transgenderism after he had asked the "routine" suicide attempt questions. He was fairly well aware already but had never heard terms such as gender dysphoria.

I think one of the reasons I could never live in stealth (100% of the time) is the fact that I believe I'm educating other people about what TSs go through etc.

Alina
    Life is proceeding at a lovely pace
      September 28, 2008 9:32 AM BST
  • Hi Angela,
    That was certainly an interesting evening and I'm glad it turned out so well. I wasn't sure where the story was headed. As a retired cop from the U.S. I'm glad my U.K. brothers were as cool as they were.
    But I also think Carren may have a point. I remember I used to get a number of dates that way when I was on patrol, so don't be surprised if you get a telephone call with an offer for a drink. If he has any sense, he'll call
      September 29, 2008 8:07 PM BST
  • So did YOU take the cuffs with you David?

Nikki
    Every woman is beautiful, some show it with their faces, others show it with their hearts.
      September 30, 2008 2:09 PM BST

• Now, now Girls ..................

Honestly !! It was an "official" request for my phone number ! (mind you, he was a bit of a "hunk!" lol.

But, ............................ up-date time ....................

This afternoon, I got a phonecall from the Local Community Liaison Officer, asking me if I could call into meet with him, when I had time, to discuss the "problems" we TG's face in any dealings we have with the police, and with the wider general public.
    He'd like to set up some seminars/courses for the local officers, where they can learn more about TGism, the problems we face in our daily lives, and in our dealings with themselves and other agencies. He has said that, if I feel I could do it, he'd like me, and maybe another girl, to take part in these sessions, to explain our lives, and answer questions that arise during the discussions.
    He also thinks that our "being there" would go a long way to show the officers that we are just"normal" people, trying to live our lives in as "normal" and quiet way we can. That we're not "perverts" or "rampant sexual deviants", but people with normal, everyday lives, just like them !!

I'm snowed under with a lot of things just at the moment, so I told him I'd get back to him next week, when I should have a bit more time, and we'd arrange a meeting, but that, in principal, I'd be willinhg to help out in any way I can.

So, that's the latest.
    I'll let you know what happens.

I know this is the Irish Police I'm talking about here, but I'm sure our"problems" are fairly "universal", so, if there's anything in particular that YOU think I should bring up, let me know. I probably already have it "on the list" but, just in case I've forgotten about something, just mention it !

Talk soon,
    Hugs,
    Angela. xx.
      October 1, 2008 8:34 PM BST
  • I think a broad and universal problem would be the concern that if you assert your individual rights in a public/commercial place that, if the police are called or you call them, the police will automatically take sides against you.

I have a solution that might help this fear. A card issued by the local police HQ or some central National HQ, that states that that police department is sensitive to the needs of TV/TG/TS persons and instructing any officers you present it to to remember that you have the same rights as other persons to fair and respectful treatment. It should have the name and simulated signature of their most senior officer on it and a number for the T person to report any problems to Not only will this give some security to a T-Person "out and about", but it will remind the officer(s) that respond of their duty and the law. Clearly this is more effective in the UK or California where the laws are unequivocal, but the message from "on high" will remind the officers that written laws aside, their superiors wish it.

"A live lived in fear is a life half-lived." - Native American proverb. "Inside every man is a woman who was drowned in testosterone before birth". - Wendy Jeanette Larsen "It is better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you're not." - Andre Gide (French writer)
      October 2, 2008 5:07 AM BST
  • I like that idea Wendy, it shoud also be noted to officers that their behaviour toward the person should be appropriate to the gender they are presenting, not what is stated in their ID/licence etc.

At least they agree with us that 'being out there' is the best way to gain acceptance, if only more of us would take the plunge........

Angela, I think this is a fantastic opportunity and you should grab a hold with both hands. This is a real opportunity to make a very significant contribution to the community and I only wish I get the same opportunity one day. Good luck and best wishes with this.

Nikki
      October 2, 2008 9:46 AM BST
  • Hi Angela-

Thank you so much for posting your experience. I agree with Nikki, and while I understand you may not want to be thrust into the role of a spokeswoman or advocate for the community at large, it is a fantastic opportunity to educate and enlighten.

And if I may say so, as ex-LE, I am proud of and delighted by the attitude shown by your local constabulary in actively reaching out. I only wish all departments had the same attitude. Please keep us posted on how things go.

Hugs...Joni Marie
    "Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." -Oscar Wilde
      October 2, 2008 2:58 PM BST

• Hi Joni-Marie,

Yes ............... you're so right when you say that I might not have wanted to be thrust into being spokeswoman or advocate for the TG Community, but, chance can do funny things to your life sometimes !!

So, now that the opportunity is there, I really feel that I should do my best to follow it through.
    There's nothing to be lost by it, and possibly, a lot to be gained !
    At present, i'm really pushed for time, but there are some things that need to be grasped when the chance is there, and this seems to be one of those times, so I'm willing to take it on board !

I just hope that I make the best of the opportunity, and don't let myself, or more importantly, the community, down !

Of course, as things progress, I'll be letting you all know what's happening.
    But, in the meantime, as I try to organise what I want to bring up, you're suggestions are all welcome.
    You might know of something that I'veforgotten about, so please .......................... any thoughts / suggestions ................ let me know.

Hugs,
    Angela. xxx.
      October 2, 2008 4:48 PM BST
  • Now Nikki, you know ME. Would I ever use Department issue equipment just for fun and pleasure??

Yeah...okay....disregard that question. LOL
      October 3, 2008 1:05 PM BST