Katie's Book (The Girl's Guide)

• October 23, 2008 5:31 AM BST
    Hi Everyone,
    I downloaded this book with the intention of buying it (if it isn't too expensive!), but my anti-virus program thinks it is a form of trojan virus (or contains one).
    Has anyone else had this problem???

Luvnhugz,
    Kathryn
  • October 23, 2008 8:53 PM BST
    Katie:

I'm on a Mac. I downloaded the book with no problem, but just get gibberish when I try to open it. Any advice?
    • 5 posts
    October 29, 2008 12:15 AM GMT
    Hi,
    I also am having problems.
    I get past the stage of entering my details and click on the 'purchase' button only to get an error message -
    "Internet Connection Error:2F0D"
    At which point the 'book' and purchase windows close.
    Do you have any idea what the problem could be.

Thanks
    Justine
    • 2573 posts
    October 23, 2008 9:21 AM BST
    No, but it should be simple to tell your AV application to get out of the way and let you download it. Check the "Help" for the program.

[moved to technical support forum]
    • 2127 posts
    October 23, 2008 10:49 AM BST
    I can promise you that there are no nasties in it. However, it is an .exe file and some sloppily written anti-virus programs just assume that all executables must be potential threats and prevent you from downloading them.

That’s a pity because anti-virus programs themselves are .exe files as is Internet Explorer, Firefox, Windows Mail and just about every program you use on your computer.

However, if you go into your anti-virus/firewall settings, you should be able to switch the program off temporarily. Then download your Girl Guide and then switch the AV/Firewall program back on.

Hope that helps. Do let us know how it goes.

Hugs,

Katie x
    • 2127 posts
    October 23, 2008 9:04 PM BST
    Sorry, I should have said that it is a Windows file so if you want to use it on a Mac, you will need to have a PC emulator like VirtualPC.

I've updated the Girl Guide page so that everyone will know.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Hugs,

Katie x